What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

2016 has been a bit ridiculous so far. I've got about 15 albums that I know I like and around 7/8 are getting constant rotation. Malibu is one of them but I love the Savages, Mystery Jets and Suede albums. The Mystery Jets seems to have turned into My Morning Jacket when my back was turned, it surprised me how much I enjoyed it.

Nobody is talking about this but I remember their EP being brilliant around 3/4 years ago and I've followed them ever since, waiting for the album and it doesn't disappoint.

Fever Daydream by The Black Queen is something you might like, Chez. Reminds me a bit of Cut Copy, Depeche Mode and M83 if that does anything for you.

I've still got to somehow cram in about 4 albums that were released last week, along with Ty Segall's latest. I'll try and put it all together in a playlist if anyone is interested.

Lyrics are like a Buzzfeed think piece, music is a bog-standard Kendrick rip-off. Not for me, Clive.

Totally agree. Was going to write more, with Kendrick in mind, but couldn't get across how I think it's it's musically "meh", but culturally significant.

Appropriating Kendrik Lamar (poorly) and selling twice as many records as him follows a white tradition. If he wasn't pointing to that fact in the lyrics, then I'd be less impressed.

What you never saw from Elvis or Vanilla Ice was that self-awareness stated explicitly. Nor did those huge stars criticise their own fans for buying their records while avoiding those of the black people they were standing on the shoulders of.

Been reading this morning that on Genius some of his fans STILL interpret the lyrics about positive rap being better than gangster rap as genuine rather a clear dig at such a stupid notion that either is doing anything but singing about their life.

He's not just taking the culture to sell records about sex and parties (as I assumed he always had), but is writing about the same political & musical ideas as Kendrick or Killer Mike, agreeing with them and berating the white audience that like him who don't agree with all three.

I don't know any other white stars with comparable sales who have done anything like that. Is it something Eminem has tackled? It led me to Macklemore's original song White Privelige which is over 10 years old and I think that's just as interesting without any of the political stuff to it.

And yes, they're all ideas expressed before that you'd find in a buzz feed think piece... but there's not many teenage boys and girls that limit their musical adventures to the Spotify global top 50 who are going to be exposed to those ideas, as they will now they're on a Macklemore record.

Totally agree. Was going to write more, with Kendrick in mind, but couldn't get across how I think it's it's musically "meh", but culturally significant.

Appropriating Kendrik Lamar (poorly) and selling twice as many records as him follows a white tradition. If he wasn't pointing to that fact in the lyrics, then I'd be less impressed.

What you never saw from Elvis or Vanilla Ice was that self-awareness stated explicitly. Nor did those huge stars criticise their own fans for buying their records while avoiding those of the black people they were standing on the shoulders of.

Been reading this morning that on Genius some of his fans STILL interpret the lyrics about positive rap being better than gangster rap as genuine rather a clear dig at such a stupid notion that either is doing anything but singing about their life.

He's not just taking the culture to sell records about sex and parties (as I assumed he always had), but is writing about the same political & musical ideas as Kendrick or Killer Mike, agreeing with them and berating the white audience that like him who don't agree with all three.

I don't know any other white stars with comparable sales who have done anything like that. Is it something Eminem has tackled? It led me to Macklemore's original song White Privelige which is over 10 years old and I think that's just as interesting without any of the political stuff to it.

And yes, they're all ideas expressed before that you'd find in a buzz feed think piece... but there's not many teenage boys and girls that limit their musical adventures to the Spotify global top 50 who are going to be exposed to those ideas, as they will now they're on a Macklemore record.

I agree with all of this and I was needlessly flippant and dismissive. I also agree with Meenz that self-awareness in any kind of straight white man is a progress that needs acknowledged and appreciated.

I agree with all of this and I was needlessly flippant and dismissive. I also agree with Meenz that self-awareness in any kind of straight white man is a progress that needs acknowledged and appreciated.

Fuck off man, you big puff.