What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

had this recommended to me by a mate who's a big metal fan, (i'm not particularly!) it's a downtempo project by a canadian rocker called devlin townsend (who i'd never heard of!)

not entirely sure how you'd describe it, country/blues/ambient/soundscapes influenced, whatever, it combines in to what is a best new to me album i've heard for some time.

give it a go!....

Tried that Sam Fender album and after thinking Play God was interesting, his album is bland Springsteen-aping fodder without any of the cumulative experience, both musically and in life, that makes those classic Springsteen albums so powerful. The Killers did anthemic-Boss better on Sam's Town and The War on Drugs has been doing driving, introspective Springsteen better for years He's clearly got potential but it sounds like someone who is well wide of it atm. Check back in 5 years for his best when he has a stronger grasp of his craft and a better band with him. Long after the music mainstream has chewed him up and spat him out. Shame. Still, nice to see a local kid do well and fair play to him for selling out an arena tour off the back of 10 songs. Good luck filling an arena show with it, though.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione
  • Like 2

SF has got half a dozen good tunes and probably 3 of what I believe the young people term as "bangers" :D

He's not on the same level as say Alex Turner at around the same age but as AH says give him time and we'll see how he goes. He still makes the likes is Sheerin & Ezra look like the manufactured over produced wankstains they undoubtedly are so that's good enough at the moment for me. 

Oh and this :lol:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

It’s been a shite week, this album always puts me in a good mood, so…

https://youtu.be/j21pUaInxWo

( It’s Mario’s Cafe, opening track of So Tough by Saint Etienne, YouTube links are still fucky on here). 

Did you catch them at the Sage in October?...

Edited by PaddockLad

• 2 weeks later...