What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

I’m having a delve in to Eno’s ambient stuff. 

I’ve no idea why it’s taken me so long to actually do this, pretty much every track of his that I’ve heard, I’ve liked. 

Right up my alley ( fnarr, etc). 

Any particular recommendations are welcome. 

27 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I’ve no idea why it’s taken me so long to actually do this, pretty much every track of his that I’ve heard, I’ve liked. 

Music for Airports

Apollo

On Land

Off the top of my head, all of those are bloody marvellous. As is ‘For All Mankind’ the documentary about the Apollo missions, which Apollo is the soundtrack to. The film is more bits of footage set to music than a conventional, linear-style documentary. And all the better for it. He’s done loads of stuff and loads of collaborations too (not all ambient) but those three should be a good place to start. I think Sonatine may have been talking about ‘Another Green World’ recently which isn’t really an ambient album but the (albeit short) title track was the gorgeous theme to the BBC’s Arena series 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Nice one mate, the Apollo stuff and documentary is new to me. 

Another Green World was pretty much my starting point, and I’ve just realised Deep Blue Day is on the Apollo album. 

👍

Off the same album you’ll have heard ‘An Ending (Ascent)’ as well as it’s been used on loads of tv programmes etc 

Daniel Lanois who also (along with Eno) worked on The Joshua Tree did the lush pedal steel guitar bits on Apollo. I saw a classical ensemble with pedal steel guitarist BJ Cole play the full Apollo album at the Sage the night (was it Halloween too?) when we stuffed the mackems 5-1. They also had a screen showing footage from the film. Probably the most middle class thing I’ve ever been to. Fucking class though 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 2

On 27/01/2021 at 13:13, Monkeys Fist said:

:lol:

The Barley Mow was similar- cracking boozer in it’s day. 

Best boozer in town with the best duke box perfect riverside warmup pub 

4 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

His stuff with Harold Budd is great, so all part of his ambient series.

Also if you want to go a bit more in your face than the ambient series his album with David Byrne, My Life in the Bush of Ghosts, is brilliant.

This is a really good read if you want to see how Eno made his ambient releases.

https://reverbmachine.com/blog/deconstructing-brian-eno-music-for-airports/

Enjoy the rabbit hole you are about to fall down Fist.

And while you're there check out Grouper, very Eno inspired - https://grouper.bandcamp.com/

• Like 2

As a few (especially Martin) know, I'm a huge fan of pissed manc idiots screaming at the sky aka The Fall.

And it was a sad day for all when Mark E Smith died a couple of years ago but fear not there's a new Fall (crowds cheering everywhere).

Well not quite and they have possibly the shittest band name ever, The Cool Greenhouse but they're decent and hopefully with enough alcohol, anger and disapointment, one day the singer will morph into MES.

But for now enjoy.

Edited by sammynb

9 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

Best boozer in town with the best duke box perfect riverside warmup pub 

That and the Egypt Cottage were class back then. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alex said:

The bloke who ran the Barley Mow has The Tyne (right at the mouth of the Ouseburn) now. Or did have before COVID anyway. 

Another good boozer, I didn’t know that