What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

13 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Was me and Yard Act could have definitely fit on the back end of an NME compilation in 2006. It literally tapped a vein of nostalgia in me. I’m not hearing what many of those lot in that post are doing that’s particularly fresh but I must not be clever enough or something

I didn't say fresh, I said more like the original but hey we are never going to agree on muzac are we.

@Ayatollah Hermione Not taking the piss, more out of interest but who in 2006 was making decent PP?

Edited by sammynb

How are people listening to music nowadays? I've been sticking to Spotify Premium but was thinking of leaving it and this story may have made my mind up:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jan/26/spotify-neil-young-joe-rogan-covid-misinformation

Not because I listen to Neil Young but because I think he's right on this. I'm loathe to give Bezos any more money but there feels to be an inevitability in doing so. So How does Amazon Music Unlimited compare to Spotify? Any other services worth considering, like Google Play (I'm canny invested in Google/Android ecosystem and prefer that to Amazon). 

Spotify’s playlist feature means that I’ll stick with that considering it has some pretty obscure old singles and b-sides that people are collating into long playlists. I assume Amazon has pretty much everything you’d want though and if you have an Echo, it’s a piece of piss to listen to anything. No idea about the standalone app though 

33 minutes ago, Alex said:

Track list:

D7D3973C-B094-4FD3-9A7D-1D3B96B4D31D.jpeg

Might be of interest if you use Spotify, mate. Saved it months ago and haven’t actually got round to exploring it properly but seems like it’s a lot of Chicago House, Balearic sounds and even a bit of synth and sophisti-pop put in for good measure 

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Spotify’s playlist feature means that I’ll stick with that considering it has some pretty obscure old singles and b-sides that people are collating into long playlists. I assume Amazon has pretty much everything you’d want though and if you have an Echo, it’s a piece of piss to listen to anything. No idea about the standalone app though 

Mind, Neil Young is off there now so I’m going to need to dust off the old illegal download skills :lol: 

54 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Might be of interest if you use Spotify, mate. Saved it months ago and haven’t actually got round to exploring it properly but seems like it’s a lot of Chicago House, Balearic sounds and even a bit of synth and sophisti-pop put in for good measure 

I’ve never bothered much with Spotify. Not sure why to be honest. But that looks right up my street. Cheers 

10 hours ago, Renton said:

How are people listening to music nowadays? I've been sticking to Spotify Premium but was thinking of leaving it and this story may have made my mind up:

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2022/jan/26/spotify-neil-young-joe-rogan-covid-misinformation

Not because I listen to Neil Young but because I think he's right on this. I'm loathe to give Bezos any more money but there feels to be an inevitability in doing so. So How does Amazon Music Unlimited compare to Spotify? Any other services worth considering, like Google Play (I'm canny invested in Google/Android ecosystem and prefer that to Amazon). 

I've got both Spotify and Amazon music and tend to favour Spotify but still feel like a scab for subscribing to either of them. 

Tidal music seems to be the platform favoured by the artists that are missing from Spotify and Amazon.

36 minutes ago, Blastronaut said:

I've got both Spotify and Amazon music and tend to favour Spotify but still feel like a scab for subscribing to either of them. 

Tidal music seems to be the platform favoured by the artists that are missing from Spotify and Amazon.

I know I’m in the minority but can we not just check out whatever artist we are interested in on youtube, then go out and buy the release, on whatever format you chose?

Neither spotify or amazon are helping musicians, at least we can make an effort for them to avoid others getting rich on their work/talent/efforts.

• Like 1

I tend to find new artists on Spotify then buy a vinyl if available, because I’m a hipster twat.

My record player broke approximately 6 months as well, should get it fixed/a new one.

52 minutes ago, strawb said:

I tend to find new artists on Spotify then buy a vinyl if available, because I’m a hipster twat.

My record player broke approximately 6 months as well, should get it fixed/a new one.

Part time hipster 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, sammynb said:

I know I’m in the minority but can we not just check out whatever artist we are interested in on youtube, then go out and buy the release, on whatever format you chose?

Neither spotify or amazon are helping musicians, at least we can make an effort for them to avoid others getting rich on their work/talent/efforts.

As an artist if you think of Spotify like record sales then it’s shit but if you think of it like the radio then it’s great

• Like 1

17 hours ago, sammynb said:

I still do buy physical releases sometimes, as well as a lot of stuff bought from bandcamp I haven't even listened to. Admittedly nowhere near as often as I probably should though.

We've got a fantastic local indy record shop here in town that I try to support as much as I can too, but given 90% of the music I listen to isn't exactly "new", buying second hand records from there isn't supporting the artist any more than just streaming from Spotify. 

Im not trying to argue artists aren't getting absolutely shafted by Spotify and the like, but I remember similar arguements in the 90s about earnings from physical records sales being negligible and most earnings coming from touring. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

I still do buy physical releases sometimes, as well as a lot of stuff bought from bandcamp I haven't even listened to. Admittedly nowhere near as often as I probably should though.

We've got a fantastic local indy record shop here in town that I try to support as much as I can too, but given 90% of the music I listen to isn't exactly "new", buying second hand records from there isn't supporting the artist any more than just streaming from Spotify. 

Im not trying to argue artists aren't getting absolutely shafted by Spotify and the like, but I remember similar arguements in the 90s about earnings from physical records sales being negligible and most earnings coming from touring. 

You're right, thankfully things are a bit better for artist these days (in general) and IMHO bandcamp has been the greatest opportunity for them to take control of their own releases - I buy about 50% of my music from there and the rest from independant shops.

Asprillia isn't correct about Spotify if you compare it to the radio because it's not the radio, where an artist will get played every couple of hours, maybe once an hour if on high rotation, it's a platform where the tech giant that owns it makes lots of money and pays the muso a miniscule stipend. I'd also argue buying secondhand records is better than Spotify as at least when it was originally purchased the full, agreed, percentage would have gone to the artist, where Spotify's payments aren't even close to the actual value they should be getting.

For me Neil Young has recently pointed out what Spotify is all about, they are happy to pay millions and millions of dollars to a right wing conspiracy nut job to have his material on their platform and still underpay musicians. As Neil has said, Fuck 'em!

Edited by sammynb

3 minutes ago, sammynb said:

You're right, thankfully things are a bit better for artist these days (in general) and IMHO bandcamp has been the greatest opportunity for them to take control of their own releases - I buy about 50% of my music from there and the rest from independant shops.

Asprillia isn't correct about Spotify if you compare it to the radio because it's not the radio, where an artist will get played every couple of hours, maybe once an hour if on high rotation, it's a platform where the tech giant that owns it makes lots of money and pays the muso a miniscule stipend. I'd also argue buying secondhand records is better than Spotify as at least when it was originally purchased the full, agreed, percentage would have gone to the artist, where Spotify's payments aren't even close to the actual value they should be getting.

For me Neil Young has recently pointed out what Spotify is all about, they are happy to pay millions and millions of dollars to a right wing conspiracy nut job to have his material on their platform and still underpay musicians. As Neil has said, Fuck 'em!

Airplay on small radio stations doesn’t generate huge royalties but it does “advertise” your song to people that other wise would never know your music existed.

Similarly, Spotify allows artists to reach a new audience all over the world. It pays next to nothing at low stream levels but it is possible to grow a fan base to the point where that income is significant, especially as an unsigned artist.

Buying a file on iTunes is more akin to selling a physical copy but hardly anyone does that anymore.

Calling Joe Rogan a “right wing conspiracy nut job” suggests a certain bias that I’m probably not going to be able to penetrate 😐

6 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Calling Joe Rogan a “right wing conspiracy nut job” suggests a certain bias that I’m probably not going to be able to penetrate 😐

You're not allowed to start that shite in this thread.

8 minutes ago, Asprilla said:

Airplay on small radio stations doesn’t generate huge royalties but it does “advertise” your song to people that other wise would never know your music existed.

Similarly, Spotify allows artists to reach a new audience all over the world. It pays next to nothing at low stream levels but it is possible to grow a fan base to the point where that income is significant, especially as an unsigned artist.

But does it really allow artists to reach a new audience? I'd argue there are a lot of artist who are lost in the myriad of commercial shite that is on Spotify, who will never get found. Regardless, you do your's and I'll do mine.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sammynb said:

You're not allowed to start that shite in this thread.

But does it really allow artists to reach a new audience? I'd argue there are a lot of artist who are lost in the myriad of commercial shite that is on Spotify, who will never get found. Regardless, you do your's and I'll do mine.

i agree it’s daunting trying to find listeners but they are out there and if (big if) you can find them then there are no barriers to them integrating your music into their playlists.

It’s much easier than getting people over to bandcamp or ordering a cd from your website... it’s just too big an ask for all but the most dedicated music fans

it’s not going to be anyone’s main source of income unless you get big but to me it’s more of a good thing than a bad thing

obviously you can still do all the other stuff too (gigs/sell merch/physical product/sync etc)

• Like 2

What Asprilla describes is definitely how I treat Spotify when it comes to discovering and sifting new(er) music ahead of giving actual real money to the artists that properly grab me. That plus it serves as a repository of old stuff I'd never buy anyway (or I already own but can't be arsed to dig out the physical copy of), so it doesn't "feel" like it's devaluing the music to access it that way (though I do get that could be seen as part of a wider trend towards that which isn't ideal). Hence the "personalised radio station" kind of comparison makes sense to me.

In my case there's also the batshit insane European kitsch element to my listening - even if I wanted to buy Finnish or Turkish cover versions of 60s Brit hits, I wouldn't even be able to find the battered old vinyl albums on Discogs considering they were sub-charity shop tat in the first place, so better to send £0.002 someone's way to listen to it on there than not at all... :dunno:

• Like 3