What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

10 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Driving to site this morning with a grad.  He was driving.  He had Radio 1 on.  How the fuck is Scott Mills working?

I feel the same way re: Talksport ;) 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Laurel Canyon documentary (two parter) on Sky Arts was first shown a couple of years ago but it was on the other night (Monday I think and part two is on this Monday at 9pm iirc. You can probably watch part 1 on catch up if you’ve got Sky. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_Canyon_(documentary)
Essential viewing for any fans of The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, Joni Mitchell, The Doors, The Mamas and Papas etc. Some really good original footage and interviews with people who were there to go along with the music 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, spongebob toonpants said:

So I've been getting my funk on lately and came across this James Brown gig I went to at the Hammersmith Odeon back in 85.

He was 50 odd so it's obviously not peak JB, but it stands up pretty well. And his band were tight!

https://youtu.be/a01p46PmoyE

I heard a great story about JB the other day from someone reliable.

Allegedly everytime he yelled "gotch ya" in a song, it wasn't just a tick or catchphrase - it was in response to one of his band making a mistake and him telling them they were going to be fined.

And that's why his bands were always so tight because he fined them heavily every chance he got (ya)!

Edited by sammynb
  • Like 2

49 minutes ago, Alex said:

The Laurel Canyon documentary (two parter) on Sky Arts was first shown a couple of years ago but it was on the other night (Monday I think and part two is on this Monday at 9pm iirc. You can probably watch part 1 on catch up if you’ve got Sky. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laurel_Canyon_(documentary)
Essential viewing for any fans of The Byrds, Buffalo Springfield, CSNY, Joni Mitchell, The Doors, The Mamas and Papas etc. Some really good original footage and interviews with people who were there to go along with the music 

This sounds interesting, will have to find who has it here.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, PaddockLad said:

anything take your fancy on RSD 2022?…

TBH I haven't really looked. Our RSD is on a different day to the rest of the world, I think because of shipping and them wanting to have all the O/S stock in.

Actually turns out it was last weekend, that's how little advertising it got here. Wow the best of the Bunnymen B-Sides 2001-2005, talk about scraping the barrel!

Jesus Jones unrealeased tracks - yeah there is a reason they are unreleased. Kevin Rowland, lead singer from Dexy's, solo album, Rick Astley, Ron Sexsmith, Mel C, fucking hell people didn't want this shite the first time and now they are doing collectors versions of it, wtf?

Mate I do always try and buy the Two Tone releases and I see there is a Madness one this year. Also some of the rare punk compilations are interesting, Go Ahead Punk Make My Day could be good and I see there is Strawberries by The Damned.

BTW I saw Ed Kuepper and Jim White play in this tiny old school country theatre last Friday night and it was amazing. Unusally he was very quiet but said a few things about Chris Bailey, sounds like there were plans to do something as the original Saints next year to mark the 30th anniversary of the start of the band. Ed and Jim played four Saints songs and quite a lot of Laughing Clowns.

The same night the show I currently work on went to air with this track in it.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sammynb said:

For anyone that likes Tortise, instrumental post-rock/punk band from the US, I found this great article/resource of band approved live recordings.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/dont-call-it-post-rock-a-deep-dive-into-tortoises-best-live-sets/

Dipped my toe in to these today- I’ll have a proper deep dive tomorrow. 

Me likey 👍

• Like 1

In protest and no real pre match drinking time tomorrow, I’ve started early. This, perhaps, may influence my listening choices.

Most of the afternoon has been spent listening to country covers of popular songs. A special mention must go to Tyler Rich’s cover of Billie Jean.

Ive now moved on to ELO :)

Happy Friday

70087CF6-8FA3-40A6-AC1A-54FEF17CF6C0.jpeg

Edited by Christmas Tree