What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

19 hours ago, Sonatine said:

I somehow believed they were called Chaka Demus and Piles, and always wondered my someone would name themselves after an arse swelling :huh:

What about Haddaway? The fucking fraud wasn’t even English, let alone a Geordie 

• Haha 4

On 07/03/2023 at 07:37, PaddockLad said:

Happy 40th! :boogie:

Best selling 12 inch single of all time iirc and the first run lost Factory Records 5p per copy because the sleeve design was so expensive. They didn’t expect it to be a commercial success. Absolutely classic Tony Wilson 

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Alex said:

Best selling 12 inch single of all time iirc and the first run lost Factory Records 5p per copy because the sleeve design was so expensive. They didn’t expect it to be a commercial success. Absolutely classic Tony Wilson 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Alex said:

Totally Tony Wilson and Factory, it's about the art/song/act compared to Alan McGee who was an absolute cunt and couldn't drop bands quick enough if he thought Oasis might make him loads of money, which he then just stuck up his nose and fucked everything up anyway!

Following the Sunkist thing above gets you to this:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sammynb said:

Totally Tony Wilson and Factory, it's about the art/song/act compared to Alan McGee who was an absolute cunt and couldn't drop bands quick enough if he thought Oasis might make him loads of money, which he then just stuck up his nose and fucked everything up anyway!

Following the Sunkist thing above gets you to this:

Interesting when they’re talking about how the sound came out of limitations of their low budget equipment. It’s a bit like a lot of the early house records where the equipment they used (thinking about something like Dionne - Come Get My Lovin’) and the limitations of the technology and / or what they had access to gave it a raw feel. Instead of it being this snazzy thing that’s had the life strangled out of it with slick overproduction 

Edited by Alex
  • Like 1

I'm back on a Titus Gein kick. There was time I'd travel the length of the country to see this lot, despite them being local. Funny enough one of the few gigs I missed was them playing out the back of my nearest record shop. No cunt thought to tell me, everyone just fucking assumed I knew given could practically see the place from my living room window at the time and barely missed a gig.

This is the one where the guitarist/synth guy plays the drums and the drummer plays the synth on what I think is a Sega Megadrive control pad.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Chuck was ok, apart from the pissing, and the strangling and what have you. :lol:

German canoeists can fuck right off. 

Okay it appears your Chuck Berry is different to the rest of us.

https://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chuck berry

Chuck Berry

• When you fart in the mouth of the person eating your asshole.

This term is named after the musician Chuck Berry and his sex tape in which he farts into a hooker's mouth whilst she ate his ass. He did it on purpose.

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Tracey Thorn was on Danny Baker’s radio show a good while back and she came across really well. She was funny and didn’t take herself remotely seriously. I wouldn’t say I was a big fan of EBTG but I really like her voice. 

9 hours ago, Alex said:

Tracey Thorn was on Danny Baker’s radio show a good while back and she came across really well. She was funny and didn’t take herself remotely seriously. I wouldn’t say I was a big fan of EBTG but I really like her voice. 

Can’t say I like EBTG but Ben Watt put out an album in 2016 called Fever Dream that is well worth a listen. Got Bernard Butler on guitar and he pulls from a lot of Tim Buckley style playing and the songs themselves are strong. A good hidden gem

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione
  • Like 1

Appreciate I'm not contributing much to the conversation here, but tonight I'll be mostly drinking a shit overpriced Guinness impersonation and have already descended into the realms of David Minnick's batshit mental acapella covers of the entire Cardiacs double album "Sing to God". 

So, one of the good things about Spotify is obviously after I listen to an album (I still do this) once it finishes it continues with a play list with music simialr to that album. So today up pops the Divine Comedy with the theme from Father Ted (Songs of Love). I like the Divine Comedy, especially A Lady of a Certain Age and my Lovely Horse, but probably not the type of band I would actively listen to. But I must admit I actually listened to the lyrics to this song and thought they were brilliant. Made me think of back in the day times of Newcastle or Whitley Bay nightlife in the late 80s / early 90s meat markets that I could never feel part of. Remember those turqoise dress shirts, and then the striped ones that looked like pajama tops, and beige chinos, etc. Also reminded me of ewerk (given what we know of ewerk's irishness, skin pallour, and his obvious solitary proclivities). First verse:

🎶 Pale, pubescent beasts roam through the streets
And coffee-shops
Their prey gather in herds in stiff knee-length skirts and white ankle-socks
But while they search for a mate my type hibernate [masturbate*]
In bedrooms above
Composing their songs of love 🎵

* My interpretation.

Edited by Renton
  • Like 2