What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

Arcade Fire - Neon Bible

Yes :unsure: I have it! So far, oh so very, very, very good.

If anyone else wants to have a listen it's on Albumbase.

Thanks for the heads up. Just got it. Only two tracks in but sounding pretty f'n good so far

The only problem I have is that the track 'Neon Bible' is a bitter filler-ish. Doesn't really seem much point to it. Apart from that it's certainly up there with Funeral, it's not better but it's close.

beautiful voice, absolutely the right thing for me to be listening to in my current mood.

couple of the songs I found quite... (incorrect word, but I'm tired. ) stirring.

Others are sung with a melancholy that just pulls you in.

really liking it.

(mind you I've recently been listening to Simon and Garfunkel, Jeff Buckley, Joshua Radin, Ray Lamontagne etc... )

interesting, it appears like you I went out and bought a couple of the releases tom yorke listed and with spank rock I can take it or leave it (triple j our national "indie" station has been playing it for a while now) but bat for lashes - fur and gold, I can't stop listening to. redeye records where I purchased it from compared it to catpower, which I can hear but to me it is far more this mortal coil, dead can dance or even mum.

Gave them a listen last night, really liked what i herd. Went out and bought the album today.

Really good so far. :unsure:

beautiful voice, absolutely the right thing for me to be listening to in my current mood.

couple of the songs I found quite... (incorrect word, but I'm tired. ) stirring.

really liking it.

(mind you I've recently been listening to Simon and Garfunkel, Jeff Buckley, Joshua Radin, Ray Lamontagne etc... )

interesting, it appears like you I went out and bought a couple of the releases tom yorke listed and with spank rock I can take it or leave it (triple j our national "indie" station has been playing it for a while now) but bat for lashes - fur and gold, I can't stop listening to. redeye records where I purchased it from compared it to catpower, which I can hear but to me it is far more this mortal coil, dead can dance or even mum.

Won't try to claim I know who those three are, but I'll have a look for them

I have to admit I'm not doing my bit to support burgeoning talent as I'll download music rather than buy it.

P.s. The Flaming Lips- Soft Bulletin :unsure:

Guest Patrokles

really liking it.

I have to admit I'm not doing my bit to support burgeoning talent as I'll download music rather than buy it.

TMC were a revolving cast of musicians who did a few good covers. DCD were okay. Mum aren't much like either. Scandinavian electronica who made a good debut then got a bit miserable and suffered for it.

Died Pretty - she waits

(one of many off the tales of the australian underground vol. 1)

And fish you tight git buy it and help another starving muso afford their can of baked beans for the week!

it's the new christs now.

really liking it.

TMC were a revolving cast of musicians who did a few good covers. DCD were okay. Mum aren't much like either. Scandinavian electronica who made a good debut then got a bit miserable and suffered for it.

You know Ben, I stay away from most of what you write because I don't agree with your opinion but sometimes I actually go search for the things you list just to give you the benefit of the doubt (although I must admit what I've listened to that you recommend I've found average at best).

But you find it acceptable to piss all over anyone else's choice of music/film/art because you think your opinion counts. Well my "I've never actually released anything besides as downloads" friend you shouldn't be so critical of others who have actually succeed in making a life from their musical abilities and in truth your agressive musical opinions make you no better than your mate Vic and the way he carries on.

Fish, do yourself a favour and have a listen if you can and form your own opinion.

If I were to bother my arse, which albums should I acquire?

Guest Patrokles

really liking it.

P.s. The Flaming Lips- Soft Bulletin :D

You know Ben, I stay away from most of what you write because I don't agree with your opinion but sometimes I actually go search for the things you list just to give you the benefit of the doubt (although I must admit what I've listened to that you recommend I've found average at best).

But you find it acceptable to piss all over anyone else's choice of music/film/art because you think your opinion counts. Well my "I've never actually released anything besides as downloads" friend you shouldn't be so critical of others who have actually succeed in making a life from their musical abilities and in truth your agressive musical opinions make you no better than your mate Vic and the way he carries on.

Fish, do yourself a favour and have a listen if you can and form your own opinion.

You're mounting a personal attack on me just because I have my own opinion? something you're actively encouraging Fish to have? :unsure:;) Give over.

after reading sammy's post, mine seems overly dismissive.

I'm more likely to make my own opinion, but prefer to listen to recommendations, rather than miss out off the back of condemnation

Guest Patrokles

Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today is OK is Mum's best work, and is very good warm electronica. 'Awake on a Train', 'There is a Number of Small Things' and 'I'm 9 Today' are my favourite tracks from that.

This Mortal Coil's cover of Tim Buckley's 'Song to the Siren' is very good. Maybe Kanga Roo. Their cover of Holocaust is nowhere near the original's quality. Their cover of the Jeweller is very good though.

I like 'Severance' by Dead Can Dance. I'd steer well away from the Into The Labyrinth album, which is pretty naff.

In terms of 4AD bands, though, the Cocteau Twins are streets ahead of either. Too much good stuff to pick from their back cat.

You're mounting a personal attack on me just because I have my own opinion? something you're actively encouraging Fish to have? :unsure:;) Give over.

No twit I'm actively encouraging you to not voice your opinions.

You're quite welcome to have them just keep them to yourself and let others find their own unless they ask you, understand??? :D

By the way it's nothing personal - I'd say the same to anyone who persistantly does what you do. :D

Fish if you want I can send you some samples just pm me an e-mail.

Also This Mortal Coil included such talents as Elizabeth Fraser from the Cocteau Twins and was a 4AD project using their various artists.

Guest Patrokles

No twit I'm actively encouraging you to not voice your opinions.

You're quite welcome to have them just keep them to yourself and let others find their own unless they ask you, understand??? :D

By the way it's nothing personal - I'd say the same to anyone who persistantly does what you do. :D

Fish if you want I can send you some samples just pm me an e-mail.

Also This Mortal Coil included such talents as Elizabeth Fraser from the Cocteau Twins and was a 4AD project using their various artists.

But what do you do but frequently voice your own opinions? Just because mine differ from yours and aren't positive, you assume that they're invalid and not useful. You're incredibly defensive about your own taste, which is fair enough, but don't throw your toys out of the pram just because we don't all think alike.

Edited by Patrokles

Yesterday Was Dramatic, Today is OK is Mum's best work, and is very good warm electronica. 'Awake on a Train', 'There is a Number of Small Things' and 'I'm 9 Today' are my favourite tracks from that.

This Mortal Coil's cover of Tim Buckley's 'Song to the Siren' is very good. Maybe Kanga Roo. Their cover of Holocaust is nowhere near the original's quality. Their cover of the Jeweller is very good though.

I like 'Severance' by Dead Can Dance. I'd steer well away from the Into The Labyrinth album, which is pretty naff.

In terms of 4AD bands, though, the Cocteau Twins are streets ahead of either. Too much good stuff to pick from their back cat.

See now you're actually using what you have for good.

By the way I quite like the Into the Labyrinth but hey it's only mho.

Fish if you can find a copy of the 4ad compilation (Ben what is it called?) then you can get a good sample of dead can dance, this mortal coil and the cocteau twins.

edit: by the way Ben I'm not throwing out the toys, it's just the "it's shite don't bother routine you do that bugs me."

I only recommend not condemn.

Edited by sammynb