What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

Am I the only one here who has an urge to listen to Minor Threat or Rites of Spring when they see J69's avatar?

:razz:

3752[/snapback]

Nope. :angry:

Am I the only one here who has an urge to listen to Minor Threat or Rites of Spring when they see J69's avatar?

:razz:

3752[/snapback]

straight edge says Youth of Today to me more than anything.As obscure as Minor threat might be to some fair credit for Rites of Spring. What about Egghunt? :angry:

Seeing the Cali connection , ever listen to Chain of Strength or Inside Out?

Edited by luckypierre

:icon_lol:

3752[/snapback]

straight edge says Youth of Today to me more than anything.As obscure as Minor threat might be to some fair credit for Rites of Spring. What about Egghunt? :P

3767[/snapback]

Egghunt? Now that brings back memories. I am 34 (yeah I know old) so Egghunt came out when I was about 17 - fucking class.

Youth of Today is a good shout. Chain of Strength and Inside Out sound familiar but I have not really listened to much of that recently and can't place them. Are they part of that whole OC Hard Core phenom? As much as I appreciate local talent there were some truly aweful straight edge bands from Southern California in the late 80s / early 90s. And I should add I never lived in Orange County where most of those bands came from. I was mroe into bands that came from LA and the East Bay (Oakland/Berkeley/Lookout Records stuff).

Also for full disclosue I was never straight edge - I went to a lot of punk shows growing up here in California and liked a broader range of hard core ... I also saw no point in giving up beer just so I could get all righteous at Fugazi concerts. I did stop doing drugs about the time I was 19 and never smoked, but I figured with the beer and sex I would never make it to full membership.

J69:

Okay dude, you have that punk thing going on, cool avatar, your younger than me, you are most definately a better footballer than me, you sleep with fit birds and are probably better looking and mroe charming than me... but listening to Billy Joel?!?!?! For the love of all things holy, WHY?!?!?

You just lost like 100 cool points.

3752[/snapback]

straight edge says Youth of Today to me more than anything.As obscure as Minor threat might be to some fair credit for Rites of Spring. What about Egghunt? :P

3767[/snapback]

Egghunt? Now that brings back memories. I am 34 (yeah I know old) so Egghunt came out when I was about 17 - fucking class.

Youth of Today is a good shout. Chain of Strength and Inside Out sound familiar but I have not really listened to much of that recently and can't place them. Are they part of that whole OC Hard Core phenom? As much as I appreciate local talent there were some truly aweful straight edge bands from Southern California in the late 80s / early 90s. And I should add I never lived in Orange County where most of those bands came from. I was mroe into bands that came from LA and the East Bay (Oakland/Berkeley/Lookout Records stuff).

Also for full disclosue I was never straight edge - I went to a lot of punk shows growing up here in California and liked a broader range of hard core ... I also saw no point in giving up beer just so I could get all righteous at Fugazi concerts. I did stop doing drugs about the time I was 19 and never smoked, but I figured with the beer and sex I would never make it to full membership.

4228[/snapback]

they were both out late 80's early 90's. To me Chain of Strength were the top so cal HC band, pretty much everything else I listened to either came from New york from Revelation records or DC with Dischord. Inside Out only did one EP I think but it was Zach de la Rocha's band before Rage against the Machine. No spiritual surrender by Inside Out is an awesome tune. I was well into the SE scene but never SE myself I just loved the passion and the movement. It was fun to piss off the pretentious SE kids at local shows though by having a beer and smoking tabs, Im big enough that no one is going to have a go at me :blush:.

Glad to see another Fugazi fan on the board (everyone else is now thinking who?). The SE scene wasnt as big over here and Fugazi's following isnt SE at all. Fugazi at the riverside in Newcastle in 92 (i think) is still the best gig I've ever been to.

3752[/snapback]

3767[/snapback]

4228[/snapback]

they were both out late 80's early 90's. To me Chain of Strength were the top so cal HC band, pretty much everything else I listened to either came from New york from Revelation records or DC with Dischord. Inside Out only did one EP I think but it was Zach de la Rocha's band before Rage against the Machine. No spiritual surrender by Inside Out is an awesome tune. I was well into the SE scene but never SE myself I just loved the passion and the movement. It was fun to piss off the pretentious SE kids at local shows though by having a beer and smoking tabs, Im big enough that no one is going to have a go at me :blush:.

Glad to see another Fugazi fan on the board (everyone else is now thinking who?). The SE scene wasnt as big over here and Fugazi's following isnt SE at all. Fugazi at the riverside in Newcastle in 92 (i think) is still the best gig I've ever been to.

4317[/snapback]

That Fugazi show sounds class - I am jealous. I was in Newcastle for Xmas back in 1989 and they played at the Uni - i missed the show because we had to go up to Scotland to see some more family and I think I was bitter for the rest of the month I was there. I felt like it was a missed opportunity because there probably would have been like 12 people there.

I figured since Rites of Spring + Minor Threat = Fugazi - they get to be called SE by default. Also any band with Ian MacKay gets that label. I suppose Rites is more of an emo band now that I think about it. Good call about Dichord records. Any album they produce will get a listen from me. Fugazi's first two EPs (or 13 songs as it was later repackaged) is still in my top 10 all time list.