What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

I've just discovered the ''Pickin On Series'' on Spotify which is basically Bluegrass versions of everything on earth ever. :lol:

There's loads like, White Stripes, Modest Mouse, Zeppelin etc

Amusing for a day or two before I go off it and feel physically sick at the idea. :up:

Father John Misty has had the most plays from me so far. Around my favourites are Natalie Prass, Lupe Fiasco, Sleater-Kinney, Screaming Females and Jessica Pratt.

Sufjan and Kendrick will join them but I need more listens for everything in them to sink in. They're dense albums.

Streaming on NPR.

http://www.npr.org/2015/03/22/393575866/first-listen-sufjan-stevens-carrie-lowell

There's some big albums coming out soon, amongst others interested to hear in full.

Sufjan Stevens (sounds a bit depressing)

Hot chip (the single sounds good).

Blur (sounds like Blur)

Django Django (sounds nowhere near as good as last one)

Really looking forward to the new Blur & GSYBE. None of the albums that have come out so far this year have grabbed me a great deal. Modest Mouse is canny but not as good as their earlier stuff, Belle & Sebastian is average, The Decemberists is ok and Panda Bear ranges from good to making me feel sick at times. Sleater Kinney is by far my favourite so far.

Hopefully Sufjan and The Mountain Goats will hit the spot.

Courtney Barnett album is out today and first impression is that it's very good. I'm the opposite of you, DK for this year. My current list is about 30 albums deep so far. I'll probably take a few out on re-listening properly but I've been keeping up with releases week by week and have enjoyed most of the major releases and there's been some good stuff on the periphery.

Some albums from this year that are good and aren't receiving wildspread fanfare:

Jazmine Sullivan - Reality Show

B.C. Camplight - How to Die in the North

Gaz Coombes - Matador

Pond - Man, it feels like space again

Invisible Familiars - Disturbing Wildlife

Black Rivers - S/T

Screaming Females - Rose Mountain

The Bright Light Social Hour - Space is Still the Place

I haven't listened to any music not released this year. There's a lot of mediocre music released every week.

I've got Courtney Barnett to listen to later like. I really like what I've heard of her.

I like the Sufjan one on first listen. Don't think it's as good as Illinois but it seems strong.

I'll have to get the Gaz Coombes one, I've been waiting for it since his single was getting quite a bit of play on 6 music last year but I hadn't realised it was actually out now.

Is Black Rivers the brothers from Doves?

Aye. sounds like what you'd imagine a new Doves album to sound like, which is in no way a bad thing.

I've downloaded it. I'll stick it on me Ipod tonight.

I really like that Courtney Barnett one after the first listen. Going to listen to the Godspeed one next.