What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

Jamie xx got panned on all the electronic sites but gets an album of the year from the 'alternative' sites. Make of that what you will but I like it. 'Gosh' is brilliant but it does stand out to me that people thought it odd when The Streets used that word about a decade ago and everyone was confused about whether he was being middle class or not. I do agree with the idea that Jamie xx is derivative without adding to the body of work but at the end of the day, it's decent music and it's got great energy.

XL with an eye on the US market release this year's Disclosure or The UK underground breaks through globally (again).

More the former for me but am a big fan of the album. When a 26 year old is nostalgic for your generation, what's not to like?

Just getting to grips with the new Sun Kil Moon album.

There's a spotify playlist in Laura Snapes' Guardian article.

One of the most interesting musicians / lyricists around. He sounds like a reet knobhead but i cant help giving him the benefit of the doubt. Think he is taking the piss with all that. Good music though and loads of meat on the bone from a lyrical perspective.

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/jun/04/i-interviewed-mark-kozelek-he-called-me-a-bitch-on-stage

The collaboration between Franz Ferdinand and Sparks is out today under the name FFS. It sounds exactly like you'd imagine; the quirks of Sparks with the more indie hooks of Franz Ferdinand. Both know their way around a melody though so it's alright but it's definitely trying to be too clever for it's own good.

Finally got to Sprinter by Torres and the new Earl Sweatshirt album. Both of them are growers but Torres is well recommended if you like indie female singer songwriters and ES good if you like more low-key rap with some dark subject matter. Strange how Tyler, The Creator gets a lot of buzz from Odd Future but the rest of them are so much better.

Still not got into Sun Kil Moon as much as I would have liked but it/he just never seems to click.

If you dont like Benji, you're dead to me.

This is a great album, been listening to a load of the old late night tales albums recently. Still good.

XL with an eye on the US market release this year's Disclosure or The UK underground breaks through globally (again).

More the former for me but am a big fan of the album. When a 26 year old is nostalgic for your generation, what's not to like?

Was at that Future Islands gig in Paris btw. :)