What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

There was a group of lads who used to get in the local social club they went to see Grease & a week later they were all quiffed up . Then they went to see Quadrophinia and the next thing you know they were all wearing parkas and driving scooters talk about fickle.

What a load of shite man....theres thousands of people who weren't born when their favourite music was released.

I was born late 1977 and one of my five favourite songs was brought out in 1964 by lads from Walker, a place that gives the best genes out in Northern England I may add. (Me mother n fatha left there in 1967).

Edited by McFaul

My old man's taste in music had a huge influence on mine.

I hated what he listened to so much, Bob Seger, Billy Joel, Elton John, The fucking Eagles, all that middle of the road mindless crap from the 70's, that it wasn't until I discovered my own that I truly appreciated the influence music can have on one self.

But he had this compilation of The Animals that he bought for House of the Rising Sun, he didn't like the rest of it, and it was the one record of his I liked.

Aye Ray Davies is a good a songwriter as we've produced...so many different sorts of music....they say he even invented heavy metal with the riff to this..its said it was a major link from heavy R&B to heavy rock, no one had left the choppy chords just sort of "out there" before..

Edited by PaddockLad

Re The Wonder Stuff, I just discovered that the drummer died in a motorbike accident in 2006. Not exactly earth shattering news but one of those where you feel a little bit of your youth died.

Re: 80s stuff, used to love the RHCP back then, before they went shit. Think up to about Blood Sugar Sex Magik they were canny good. Used to love a bit of U2 as well. Must be about 20-odd years since they've released owt I thought was decent though.

The Joshua Tree is a mint album, as is The Unforgettable Fire and as much as Bono was a bell on it, I liked Rattle and Hum (the film and the album).

Blood Sugar etc was the first tablature book I bought for guitar. A lot of it was canny nails though.

i never really got the fuss with U2. my big brother saw them on the zooTV tour and swore they were the best live act he'd ever seen, but they always came across a bit too middle of the road to me. coldplay are the modern day U2

Apart from one experimental album by a favourite guitarist of mine (Bill Nelson), I don't think I have or like anything pre 1970 and the first Sabbath album. I can see a lot of influences from earlier but it just doesn't resonate with me.

The Joshua Tree is a mint album, as is The Unforgettable Fire and as much as Bono was a bell on it, I liked Rattle and Hum (the film and the album).

Blood Sugar etc was the first tablature book I bought for guitar. A lot of it was canny nails though.

Think I like just about everything they did up to and including Zooropa. Although that was a bit patchy. Achtung Baby was quality. Agree with the other ones you mentioned. Unforgettable Fire is brilliant. Under A Blood Red Sky is a great live comp as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfUUt4RLgak

And Bono is obviously a knob, but that goes without saying. Which reminds me of this:

@Dr Gloom Aye, quality. Love Victoria as well. They did loads of good songs.

i never really got the fuss with U2. my big brother saw them on the zooTV tour and swore they were the best live act he'd ever seen, but they always came across a bit too middle of the road to me. coldplay are the modern day U2

I quite like coldplay to a certain extent but I don't think they match U2's aggression ( mainly early) or depth. I do accept generally that U2 peaked years ago (up to and including Achtung Baby for me).

Think I like just about everything they did up to and including Zooropa. Although that was a bit patchy. Achtung Baby was quality. Agree with the other ones you mentioned. Unforgettable Fire is brilliant. Under A Blood Red Sky is a great live comp as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfUUt4RLgak

And Bono is obviously a knob, but that goes without saying. Which reminds me of this:

@Dr Gloom Aye, quality. Love Victoria as well. They did loads of good songs.

this thread need more alan partridge

Aye forgot about Achtung Baby, probably their last really good album for me. I never really got into their dead early stuff though.

Boy is probably my favourite along with AB - its a good album about growing up and Bono is mainly pre- cock.

Boy is probably my favourite along with AB - its a good album about growing up and Bono is mainly pre- cock.

Aye Boy is quality, War is great too but I couldn't make head nor fuckin tail of October. Under a Blood Red Sky was recorded on the War tour, my sister took me to see them in Glasgow round then, they were ridiculously good.

Edited by PaddockLad

Aye Boy is quality, War is great too but I couldn't make head nor fuckin tail of October. Under a Blood Red Sky was recorded on the War tour, my sister took me to see them in Glasgow round then, they were ridiculously good.

October was semi-ruined by the lyric book being nicked just before recording which meant it was a bit half-arsed - they should have delayed it to allow more writing.