What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

He's mint. Saw his Glastonbury set and have had both albums on nonstop since. Why do none of you sons of bitches tell me about these good people?

The new Father John Misty is brilliant.

It's suggest you subscribe to get more great recommendations from your old pal here.

About time you got on to Father John Misty, Gemmill. For anyone that's heard the Tame Impala new one, are you having the same reaction as me? As in, finding the production and the songs really interesting for about half of their run-time and then getting very bored? Maybe I need to be absolutely spangled.

The Bird and Bee's new album is enjoyable, mind. 35 minutes, very tightly crafted new wave songs.

Yes! Hard to describe but not grabbing me like the last.

TBF I have just been listening to Fat White Family for about a year so my taste might be off.

CKrVY7mWcAECryy.png

My classsic album playlist.

All the albums I've listened to from start to finish many many times over and rarely feel the need to skip a track on.

Spotify that shit bruh

Good idea that. I've never thought of listing all of my "favourites" in one place. Wouldn't have taken you for such a Supergrass fan, HF.

Oh aye, far better than Blur or Oasis in that Britpop kerfuffle.

Suede and Dog Man Star are both brilliant albums. I like Supergrass (Caught By The Fuzz being a particular favourite) but Blur come out of the whole britpop thing the best for me ahead of Pulp and Suede. Mainly because they all weren't really the same as Oasis and all the rest. Think Tank is possibly my favourite Blur ahead of Parklife though.

CKrVY7mWcAECryy.png

My classsic album playlist.

All the albums I've listened to from start to finish many many times over and rarely feel the need to skip a track on.

A lot of my favourite albums in that list. I'd pick some different albums from some of the same artists though (Original Pirate Material and Wish You Were Here being the main two). Was listening to Grace earlier, amazing album.

Blur come out of the whole britpop thing the best for me ahead of Pulp and Suede. Mainly because they all weren't really the same as Oasis and all the rest. Think Tank is possibly my favourite Blur ahead of Parklife though.

They should have hung up their instruments after Leisure for mine.

Britpop has a lot of musical crimes to answer for, mainly the manslaughter of shoegaze/dreampop and the destruction of Creation Records.

http://thudhk.bandcamp.com/album/floret

Good idea that. I've never thought of listing all of my "favourites" in one place.

I only use smart/auto playlists, so they always have hundreds of songs from albums I don't otherwise like.

Just switched to musicbee though and used the 5 star album rating to come up with this one.

What surprised me choosing the albums was no Beatles, no James Brown & no Jonny Cash. 3 of my favourite artists, but nothing springs out as albums I love from start to finish without skipping, not even Greatest Hits.

Well it got popular and shit, didn't it?

pop music popular, who'd have thunk it?? :lol:

They should have hung up their instruments after Leisure for mine.

Britpop has a lot of musical crimes to answer for, mainly the manslaughter of shoegaze/dreampop and the destruction of Creation Records.

http://thudhk.bandcamp.com/album/floret

McGee had in 1992 3 of the biggest selling albums in the uk and still couldn't make any money. He got sober and sold it to Sony iirc. Great auteur (for want of a better word) but a shite businessman.

McGee had in 1992 3 of the biggest selling albums in the uk and still couldn't make any money. He got sober and sold it to Sony iirc. Great auteur (for want of a better word) but a shite businessman.

There is also that story about how Oasis wanted more money from Creation and when he said there was none they gave him a list of bands to drop from the label or they were going to leave.

You're correct McGee lost the plot but Britpop started his decline.

There is also that story about how Oasis wanted more money from Creation and when he said there was none they gave him a list of bands to drop from the label or they were going to leave.

You're correct McGee lost the plot but Britpop started his decline.

I'd not heard that but there was a major cull at some point including 18 wheeler and Travis I think, there were others too.

Am not sure its accurate to claim that Britpop killed Creation, for me it was just another step in early 90s process in which the media changed the alternative into the mainstream.

I'd not heard that but there was a major cull at some point including 18 wheeler and Travis I think, there were others too.Am not sure its accurate to claim that Britpop killed Creation, for me it was just another step in early 90s process in which the media changed the alternative into the mainstream.

I'm a huge fan of Swervedriver, who were ond of the bands the Gallaghers demanded were dropped, MBV were another because Liam didn't like there stuff. In recent interview with Adam Franklin he said when Britpop happened Creation's offices went from being somewhere they all knew each other to being filled with complete strangers who didn't even know most of the bands on the label. It wasn't the end but it was the start of decline.

It's a sad world when Andy Bell is better know as Oasis's bass player than as one of the founders of Ride.

I'm a huge fan of Swervedriver, who were ond of the bands the Gallaghers demanded were dropped, MBV were another because Liam didn't like there stuff. In recent interview with Adam Franklin he said when Britpop happened Creation's offices went from being somewhere they all knew each other to being filled with complete strangers who didn't even know most of the bands on the label. It wasn't the end but it was the start of decline.

It's a sad world when Andy Bell is better know as Oasis's bass player than as one of the founders of Ride.

The period you're describing is after the sale to Sony though, of course it was going to get corporate and faceless. Have you read McGee's book?...

The "official" line is MBV took more than half a decade to record "Loveless" nearly bankrupting the label, making a corporate sale more than likely. Ride fizzled out, Swervedriver didn't have any real "fizz" iyam..after the money troubles the likes of Slowdive and Swervedriver were always going to be under threat..