What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

I'm a huge fan of Swervedriver, who were ond of the bands the Gallaghers demanded were dropped, MBV were another because Liam didn't like there stuff. In recent interview with Adam Franklin he said when Britpop happened Creation's offices went from being somewhere they all knew each other to being filled with complete strangers who didn't even know most of the bands on the label. It wasn't the end but it was the start of decline.

It's a sad world when Andy Bell is better know as Oasis's bass player than as one of the founders of Ride.

Ride had about three good songs iirc and I can only remember the name of one of them (Leave Them All Behind).

Ride had about three good songs iirc and I can only remember the name of one of them (Leave Them All Behind).

Vapour Trail is canny, can't remember any of the others though.

Slowdive were fucking quality, Souvlaki still sounds great now and When the Sun Hits is immense.

Quick question.

As an old fart who likes bands like, joy division, the clash, happy mondays, nirvana, green day and other non mainstream artists.

Who is new and exciting on the scene?

That Menzingers album in my list should appeal if you like green day.

Problem is that anyone emulating those bands now sound like poor imitations and not current on the whole, but there's a few good tracks on the recent offerings of drenge and Eagulls.

Quick question.

As an old fart who likes bands like, joy division, the clash, happy mondays, nirvana, green day and other non mainstream artists.

McFly.

The period you're describing is after the sale to Sony though, of course it was going to get corporate and faceless. Have you read McGee's book?...

The "official" line is MBV took more than half a decade to record "Loveless" nearly bankrupting the label, making a corporate sale more than likely. Ride fizzled out, Swervedriver didn't have any real "fizz" iyam..after the money troubles the likes of Slowdive and Swervedriver were always going to be under threat..

No I've not read McGee's book but he's also known not to be the most reliable of sources. There was also a good 12 months before the Sony sale where it changed but fuck we're arguing over moments.

There are a couple of good documentaries out there, Beautiful Noise and the Oxford based bands Anyone Can Play Guitar if you are interested.

Your loss for not hearing how good the Swervies are.

As for the Ride had a bunch of great stuff the album with Vapour Trail, Nowhere is brilliant, so to the Fall EP and Going Blank Again.

Quick question.

If you like a bit of Siouxsie and Banshees there is Newcastle based Retriever

Nick Cave when he was angry and decent, London based Lark

Some girl punk Good Throb

Lo-fi California surf punk psycho-billy Thee Oh Sees

A bit of post punk Shopping

Some garage punk from Sweden - Lucern Raze

Not grunge, not punk, not post punk but somewhere inbetween Zeahorse

The KVB

The Black Ryder (no not that twat Lee feeling depressed, more Mazzy Star/JMC)

Bass Drum of Death

NY post punk Liars - Alex you should check out these guys release Mess.

HTRK who have been around for a bit but are worth mentioning anytime.

A couple of great sources for stuff:

Contemporary shoegaze/dream pop

Mix of punk, heavy but not metal, post punk

The music forum on OffsetGuitars.com - Check out stuff posted by the member Shadowplay

A band doing good stuff that sounds fairly similar to that early 90s US lo-fi rock sound are Speedy Ortiz. The new one by Screaming Females is a good rock album too.

Reminds me of Giant Drag a bid. Good listen :up:

No I've not read McGee's book but he's also known not to be the most reliable of sources. There was also a good 12 months before the Sony sale where it changed but fuck we're arguing over moments.

There are a couple of good documentaries out there, Beautiful Noise and the Oxford based bands Anyone Can Play Guitar if you are interested.

Your loss for not hearing how good the Swervies are.

As for the Ride had a bunch of great stuff the album with Vapour Trail, Nowhere is brilliant, so to the Fall EP and Going Blank Again.

Absoloutely mate its all ancient history and McGee's book,for all it being a cracking yarn, is just him burnishing his reputation and self imposed "mythical" status.

Don't know if you lived across here in those days but a lot of good bands played a dreadful Friday night tv program "the word" with brilliant trippy visiuals...

Suede and Dog Man Star are both brilliant albums. I like Supergrass (Caught By The Fuzz being a particular favourite) but Blur come out of the whole britpop thing the best for me ahead of Pulp and Suede. Mainly because they all weren't really the same as Oasis and all the rest. Think Tank is possibly my favourite Blur ahead of Parklife though.

blur are quality. beat oasis hands down, for me, as their sound evolved and they didn't just bang out the same shit for 10 straight albums or whatever. that said, i still love definitely maybe and morning glory.

i love that era for indie music, though prefer the early to mid 90s to a lot of the britop rubbish later on in the decade.

Oasis never lived up to Definitely Maybe iyam. They were like a tribute act after that. Probably prefer Blur but could happily live without either tbh.