What are you listening to ?

Jimbo

Nice one, Spirit of Eden and Laughing Stock are two of my favourite albums but I never got round to listening to that collection, in fact I'd forgotten it even existed. Might give it a go now - cheers!

I've been right on a Talk Talk binge recently. Absolutely love Spirit of Eden.

Some stuff I've liked from the last couple of months or so.

Whitney - Light Upon The Lake

Tegan and Sara - Love You to Death

Mitski - Puberty 2

Case/Lang/Viers - S/T

Jay Arner - Jay II

Blood Orange - Freetown Sound

The Hanging Stars - Over The Silvery Lake

BADBADNOTGOOD - IV

William Bell - This is Where I Live

Roisin Murphy - Take Her Up to Monto

YG - Still Brazy

Xenia Rubinos - Black Pussy Cat

Fill your boots, they're all cush

Also, The Monkees' new one is class :lol: An inch perfect throwback to 60s beat pop with songs written by Andy Partridge (XTC), Rivers Cuomo and Weller.

That Monkees album is brilliant. Most of the songs sound like I could have heard them on the old show when they used to repeat it in the summer holidays when I was a bairn.

Really like the Whitney album too.

My "3 minute pop"  playlist, probably the best smart list I've ever made :D

It incorporates all the tracks under 3 minutes and 10 seconds from my "2016" playlist, my "5 star" playlist and my "unplayed" playlist.

Gives a good range of old and new, favourites and discoveries, and it rattles through tracks at a good pace.

Spat out...

Paradise Here Abouts - Howe Gelb

Au Port - Camille

Soma - The Strokes

Dreamt Person v3 - Venetian Snares

Have a Talk With God - Stevie Wonder

Lord Have Mercy - Schoolboy Q

Just bought a copy of this, Warm Digits Interchange

It's a krautrockish electronica with a bit of a story.

INTERCHANGE is an album and experimental film inspired by images drawn from the Tyne and Wear Archives, of the 1970s’ biggest civil engineering project on Tyneside – the construction of Metro.

Invited to investigate the archives to find inspiration to make some new music, we found almost by chance a lever-arch file containing a selection of battered medium-format contact sheets, documenting the transitions between the crumbling, decommissioned British Rail stations of Tyneside and the new, futuristic Metro stations. These 1970s photographs now carry a powerful aura of “nostalgia for the future” – looked at from the present day, from our position of learned helplessness in the face of neoliberal capitalism, they carry a hopefulness about publicly-funded civic development and connected communities which we seem to have lost touch with now. Visually, this has to do with the collision in the photographs of modernist architectural forms and advanced technology, with the dirt and grind of construction and the demolition and development of the older stations. This is what architecture critic Owen Hatherley calls the “outright weirdness” of the Metro system’s designs, its “curious combination of antique and futuristic”.

Delving deeper into the archives, we found they contained extensive documentation of the Metro’s development, chiefly in theTurner Photographic Archive, but also architects’ plans and drawings. In these photographs, tunnel shells bore unstoppably through the city’s underbelly; boffinish, white-coated engineers are lifted by crane into half-finished shafts; modernist, abstract geometric shapes resolve into walkways and overpasses. On the architects’ plans (of the interchange stations between bus and metro), tiny huddles of theoretical passengers wait as shadows on platforms, mothers push prams along walkways between metro and bus, smooth design lines for a better future are proposed and take shape in the public imagination.

We’ve written a suite of new songs, which are not about the Metro’s construction as such, but take and hold on to some of the spirits conjured by these pictures: of hopefulness for a publicly-funded civic future, of the use of new technology for change, of the excitement and propulsion of travel.

Our film, for which the album provides the soundtrack, uses images from the archive as the starting point for a new piece of visual imagery. We have been inspired by the vibrancy, colour and “visual music” philosophy of 20th century film artists including Len Lyeand James & John Whitney, and the rhythm and rigour of the 1970s structural avant-garde filmmakers of the London Filmmakers Co-op including Guy Sherwin and Lis Rhodes. It’s an experiment in the pairing of sound and music, using rhythm and repetition to evoke and entrance, and think about the position of hope in civic life, forty years and a lifetime on, from the origins of the photographs.

Couple of tracks off the new Bon Iver album out soon, really good.

Andras - House of Dad. Great house e.p with a couple of perfectly pitched mellow house tracks. One of my favorites of the year and just out.

Got into Bon Iver 4/5 years ago...Lovely find that was.