Best Gig

sweetleftpeg

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bad Company, at the City Hall. 1974.

One of my biggest regrets is that I never saw Free, I had a ticket to see them appearing at The Mayfair but the tour was cancelled because Kossoff fell over a lead and broke his arm when he was stoned on drugs.

I don;t think Bad Company would have been as good as Free though.

I also saw a group called Cry Before Dawn, who were warm up band to Big Country. Both bands turned in a great double header, and I would recommend the Cry Before Dawn CD to anyone, which can also be downloaded.

I'm off to see the Goo Goo Dolls at the Academy on Wednesday with the wife as a treat from me.

Then me next gig after that would be Kasabian at the Metro in December.

just got back from Smogland....by they are a strange fucking breed down there. He tried his best to get the crowd going to no avail...should have come back to the Academy. A rather strange support band whose name escapes me but the singer thought she was a cross between Siouxsie Sioux and Hazel O'Connor ????wtf

Public Enemy were something else tonight. If only Flava Flav hadn't done a solo set half way through it could have been an all time great show,

I saw PE in Manchester in 1988, they were awesome, the gangs who tried to steal my mates Troop trainers and gold chain were less talented, but stimulating in their own way. :lol:

Less Than Jake @ the Academy back in March was fucking mental.

Twas that. You back for the LTJ and Murphys gig next month?

:lol:

Also got tickets for Iron Maiden in December.

just got back from Smogland....by they are a strange fucking breed down there. He tried his best to get the crowd going to no avail...should have come back to the Academy. A rather strange support band whose name escapes me but the singer thought she was a cross between Siouxsie Sioux and Hazel O'Connor ????wtf

Where did they play in Boro?

My mam saw The Beatles, The Who, The Stones etc in the 60's and is quite blase about the whole thing. The only thing she will say is that she saw Bob Dylan at the height of his powers and he was 'shit.' :lol:

Most people who saw Dylan live at the height of his powers ('66) thought he was shit. Hence all the booing. Watching them back I can't imagine not being in awe, especially of the power behind the electric half of the set.

As he'd sing to the audiences at the time "You know something is happening here, but you don't know what it is", very true.

My mam saw The Beatles, The Who, The Stones etc in the 60's and is quite blase about the whole thing. The only thing she will say is that she saw Bob Dylan at the height of his powers and he was 'shit.' :lol:

Most people who saw Dylan live at the height of his powers ('66) thought he was shit. Hence all the booing. Watching them back I can't imagine not being in awe, especially of the power behind the electric half of the set.

As he'd sing to the audiences at the time "You know something is happening here, but you don't know what it is", very true.

When he spits that at the audience in "No direction home" it is fantastic.

I saw Bob Dylan at Earls Court in 1976 or so, it was alright but not one of the greats

"Most people who saw Dylan live at the height of his powers ('66) thought he was shit."

and they weren't that wrong TBH - great writer, crap singer

I knew a lass who swopped her Beatles tickets in 1967 for a set of Beach Boy ones................ takes all sorts I guess

Where did they play in Boro?

the Town Hall....rather strange venue like...won't be going back!

I knew a lass who swopped her Beatles tickets in 1967 for a set of Beach Boy ones................ takes all sorts I guess

She'd have been able to hear the Beach Boys. Good choice.

My Dad is a musical embarrassment. We passed the City Hall once on the way to the match and turned round to my mam and said 'we saw a "turn" on in there didnt we?'

:D Beatles, Roy Orbison, Gerry and the Pisstakers et al.....

He really doesnt understand music at all.

Anyway, another good gig was the Wonderstuff and Darling buds at Riverside for 2 nights sometime in the late 80s.

Fugazi and Gaye Bikers were also good around the same time.

Smiths at Mayfair were excellent though.