Am I the only person who thinks Souness is alright

Ketsbaia's Mobile

He's made some cracking signings.

He didn't sell Solano.

He didn't buy Cort or Viana.

He stood up to the wankers who we were all pissed off with.

Bellamy never scored anyway...

As for Mr Shepherd, I can't believe why we're not realising that big offers for the right player saves the club money in the long run. :blink:

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

He's made some cracking signings. - So did SBR. And by the way, Emre hasn't even played more than one league game...

He didn't sell Solano. - No, he sold Bellamy, Robert...

He didn't buy Cort or Viana. - Babayaro, Faye, Moore...

He stood up to the wankers who we were all pissed off with. - I wasn't

Bellamy never scored anyway... - Wait, wasn't Bellamy that little Welsh gobshite that scored as many league goals as Shearer?

He didn't sell Solano.

As for Mr Shepherd, I can't believe why we're not realising that big offers for the right player saves the club money in the long run.  :blink:

16433[/snapback]

He signed Faye, Baba, Moore and none of those are cracking! as for Boum, if somebody gave me £8m for a CB i'd get you a cracking signing its not hard!

He would have sold Solano if he actually managed him because he isn't a "proper" player, by that i mean he has creativity, skill and an eye for scoring a setting up goals, but he can;t and often won't tackle and he doesn't alwys track back. He's also a winger and Souness says they don't exist so he'd have sold him.

Cort would score more than Shola!

He picked a childish fight with Bellamy to act the hard man and pretend he was ridding us of the problem, when the problem is still in chrage of the team

Bellamy had finally got his finishing level to near where it should be and was never all about goals, he transformed the team when he played and to use our manager's wording "Proper" football fans understand the real value of Bellamy without merely looking at goals scored

He didn't sell Solano.

As for Mr Shepherd, I can't believe why we're not realising that big offers for the right player saves the club money in the long run.  :blink:

16433[/snapback]

Wind up? Or are you just related to Souness?

He didn't sell Solano.

16433[/snapback]

he bought Faye, Moore and Babayaro.

He let Bernard go to be replaced by Babayaro.

He has let Ambrose and Hughes go.

He wants to get rid of Bowyer and keep Dyer and Jenas.

He has let our entire attack go and replaced them with more midfield players.

He is down on his transfer fees and has used the majority of his budget to do the above.

No one was pissed off with Bellamy. If you were, you were the only one who was.

We have plummeted in the league, believe it or not it's results that count, and every time he talks about Spriit, Bobby Robson should go on TV and tell him he should shut his gob until he matches the spirit, results and ability of the team that played regularly in the Champions League that he inherited.

He didn't sell Solano.

16433[/snapback]

He is down on his transfer fees and has used the majority of his budget to do the above.

We have plummeted in the league, believe it or not it's results that count, and every time he talks about Spriit, Bobby Robson should go on TV and tell him he should shut his gob until he matches the spirit, results and ability of the team that played regularly in the Champions League that he inherited.

16451[/snapback]

You weren't pissed off when Bellamy gloated that we lost the FA semi?

Bobby had five years and won nothing. I appreciate we consistently finished high in the league but it took him 2 seasons. (13th and 11th I think?)

Souness won't be given that time probably, but I think his critics are way too harsh.

Also, I don't think the lack of strikers is as much down to Souness as Shepherd.

And another thing that used to piss me off(!)

Robson saying "there's noone unhappier than me when we lose".

Well I'm sure he was down, but if you've been paid £40K (or so) for that match as opposed to forked out £70 (2 tickets, petrol, parking, food) then it'd be better not to say how bad you feel.

Souness does that a lot better IMO. He realises how much it is to the average fan and doesn't bleat as much.

*scuttles off miserably at having convinced nobody about anything at all*

He didn't sell Solano.

As for Mr Shepherd, I can't believe why we're not realising that big offers for the right player saves the club money in the long run.  :wink2:

16433[/snapback]

16451[/snapback]

Bobby had five years and won nothing. I appreciate we consistently finished high in the league but it took him 2 seasons. (13th and 11th I think?)

Souness won't be given that time probably, but I think his critics are way too harsh.

Also, I don't think the lack of strikers is as much down to Souness as Shepherd.

16471[/snapback]

honestly mate, thats all wrong.

Souness, the manager, decided where to spend his transfer money. No one else.

Souness decided he wanted rid of Bellamy, Robert and kluivert. No one else.

No I wasn't pissed off when Bellamy gloated when we lost the semi, for 2 reasons, one we don't know if it's true and I don't believe a word Souness of any of his yes men say, and two Bellamys actions - if they are true - tell me that he feels the victim of a clique or an agenda, and the bigger picture to that is a club with serious problems that should be acted on, rather than just slag off the person who has the balls to say what he percieves as the truth ie Souness is a prick.

As for Bobby Robson winning nothing, it never ceases to amaze me how people change their spots so often. The 3 years we qualified for Europe, and the first year he got us out of a mess, no one anywhere had a bad word against him.

The same people who now defend Souness will be denying it at Xmas, or viewing him in the same light as they look back on Dalglish and Gullit

Edited by LeazesMag

The main difference between Robson's first season and Souness's is that Robson appeared to be moving the club in the right direction, whereas Souness seems to be doing the opposite.

He didn't sell Solano.

As for Mr Shepherd, I can't believe why we're not realising that big offers for the right player saves the club money in the long run.  :wink2:

16433[/snapback]

16451[/snapback]

16471[/snapback]

Souness had already decided to get rid of him then. When Souness came here Bellamy was our best player. Graeme Souness systematically went out of his way to stir up hatred against Bellamy and then orchestrated the situation which got him moved.

Before he did that no one was upset at Bellamy.

The main difference between Robson's first season and Souness's is that Robson appeared to be moving the club in the right direction, whereas Souness seems to be doing the opposite.

16530[/snapback]

That sums it up. Also Bobby took over a complete mess of a team that had been going nowhere for a while, Souness took over a team who'd finished 4th, 3rd and 5th and whilst not at their best only needed a few changes in and out and some new ideas/motivation to be up there challenging for a minimum of 5th.

To be fair (and I know I'm going to be challenged on this) Craig Moore is yet to feature in a competitive game for Newcastle United....

I agree in that I am far from impressed of what I've seen of him previously, but then I also thought Craig Bellamy wasn't much use when we coughed up £6m for him....

Lets see what he is like when he plays for us and THEN pass judgement on Souness's decision to buy him...

Faye and Babayaro I'll give you - crap signings, but on the other hand I think Boumsong, Parker and Emre are awesome players...

To be fair (and I know I'm going to be challenged on this) Craig Moore is yet to feature in a competitive game for Newcastle United....

I agree in that I am far from impressed of what I've seen of him previously, but then I also thought Craig Bellamy wasn't much use when we coughed up £6m for him....

Lets see what he is like when he plays for us and THEN pass judgement on Souness's decision to buy him...

Well, I loathed him before and alone to make my worst dreams come true have to consider him as a crap signing. Fair enough if he is going to prove me wrong and over night became a decent defender that is capable of more than at lashing out at other players. Maybe the pope becomes protestant too...

Faye and Babayaro I'll give you - crap signings, but on the other hand I think Boumsong, Parker and Emre are awesome players...

16597[/snapback]

Well, if you don't want to judge Moore before you have seen him, why judge Parker and Emre when they have not even played a handful of games... But at least they sound like great signings (so far).

Boumsong was a decent signing. I haven't really seen an outstanding performance yet that is making him worth anything close to 8m though.

At heart I am sure Souness is a good person. He's done good things at the club and does have respect quite a few of the players. The arrival of Souness has had positive effects on the defence and the likes of Bramble (who was regarded as a joke before) and Taylor have made great progress.

But it's other immature things like having rowas with players or complaining to the referee that have been very bad decisions which he should regret in the long run. He was stupid to say Bellamy will never play at the club again, proving he has poor man to man management. I don't complain much regarding his match tactics - the team showed they could play well as a team as a team in the UEFA Cup and perfromed very good football, and some tactics pay off such as the use of Parker I think will be very useful this season.

Can't disagree with what you've put there....

I'm basing my opinions of Emre and Parker on the two games we've seen so far - Parker is solid and I think will serve to protect the back four with the end result that I don't think we'll conceed as many as we have done previously and Emre appears to be like a bundle of energy which chases everything. Over time things may appear different but that's how I see it now.

Boumsong is a marked improvement on what we had and, Woodgate (when fit) excepted, I think is the best central defender that a Newcastle United manager has bought since KK bought Philippe Albert over 11 years ago.

Moore hasn't played for us yet, so I'll reserve judgement on him until he does so. Just because a player is gash at one club, doesn't mean he automatically will be at another - JDT is a prime example of that!

Can't disagree with what you've put there....

I'm basing my opinions of Emre and Parker on the two games we've seen so far - Parker is solid and I think will serve to protect the back four with the end result that I don't think we'll conceed as many as we have done previously and Emre appears to be like a bundle of energy which chases everything. Over time things may appear different but that's how I see it now.

Make no mistake. I am in agreement about Parker and Emre if even I am not sure it was the right decision to sign two central midfield players before concentrating on other positions.

Boumsong is a marked improvement on what we had and, Woodgate (when fit) excepted, I think is the best central defender that a Newcastle United manager has bought since KK bought Philippe Albert over 11 years ago.

Again, I don't really disagree. Though he couldn't be a worth signing compared to what sort of defenders walked in before. But I have still to see one really top performance that is anything close to Woodgate having a bad game...

Moore hasn't played for us yet, so I'll reserve judgement on him until he does so. Just because a player is gash at one club, doesn't mean he automatically will be at another - JDT is a prime example of that!

16628[/snapback]

Unfortunately I can't see how a player who didn't set the world alight in the SPL and the Bundesliga where except of his first game he looked out of depths and pace can shine in the superiour english league. To compare him with Tomasson is absolutely nonsense in my opinion. JDT was a young boy and was asked to play in an unfavoured position where he had to replace the then best centre forward of the premiership.

Agree with your comments - I think Parker has made a solid job in the holding role and could attack as well. He is an excellent tackler and a player like him as what the club needs without being exposed to the defence.

Despite that the defence are improving and aren't nearly as casual or sloppy as used to be. Boumsong is strong, solid and a good tackler (though yet to make a standout performance and a little slow). Taylor is potentially a future England player and has marked a significant improvement under Souness.

Midfield-wise I think we should be content with. We have 3 players who should be fighting for a World Cup place in Parker, Jenas and Dyer. Emre is extremely talented and full of energy as you said, and Bowyer seems to have re-invented himself since joining Newcastle. Milner is also young fresh talent and one for the future as could be N'Zogbia.

Well, apart from Crawford01, I see I'm pretty much on my own here!

Hey ho, I'm not afraid of a good old disagreement so here goes another point!

Nobody "tasty" wanted the job last August/September which I admit is why we now have Souness.

That's 100% down to Freddy. I think sacking a manager mid term is almost invariably a bad idea. The kitty's empty and the new boss has a 9 month period where he can pass the buck.

Souness HAS won a lot of trophies both as a player and a manager. He is probably cheaper and more industrious than a Gullit equivalent who we could have just as easily ended up with.

The discipline of a club means a lot to me. I hate the idea of players on huge money not giving their all. I believe with the exception of Babayaro, all his signings fit that mould.

I think he could be a dark horse if he gets the chance. Lets face it. If he won something somewhere else, all of a sudden his pedigree looks great again. What has Steve Bruce won?

I think Souness has a toughness that we have lacked since before Keegan. The fact that he is prepared to argue with referees is a good thing in my book. Look at messers Ferguson, Wenger and Mourinho. I'm sick of us being a jokey club where a sense of humour gets pulled out to avoid facing defeat head on.

Above all I think we should not do anything until the end of the season. If we are bottom half by then, fine sack him. He will have had a good chance to turn things around.

Anyway dudes, great forum, I look forward to you all buying me a drink in the Strawberry when we win a cup this year! :wink2: (Or me rocking myself to sleep in a muttering stupour if wu divvent)

Edited by Ketsbaia's Mobile

At heart I am sure Souness is a good person. He's done good things at the club and does have respect quite a few of the players. The arrival of Souness has had positive effects on the defence and the likes of Bramble (who was regarded as a joke before) and Taylor have made great progress.

Not sure what good things you are suggesting but other than following Robson in overseeing the development of Taylor and overspending on the neverthless good signing Boumsong (3 defensive players out, three in, no adequate cover on the left or right), Im not sure how he has had much of a positive effect on our defence.

I know stats can be misleading but the number of goals conceded in Robsons last full season 2003-4 was 40 our lowest sice we came 2nd 8 or so years ago. Last season we conceded 57, the worst since we nearly tumbled into oblivion 13 years ago. :wink2: