Am I the only person who thinks Souness is alright

Ketsbaia's Mobile

To be fair (and I know I'm going to be challenged on this) Craig Moore is yet to feature in a competitive game for Newcastle United....

I agree in that I am far from impressed of what I've seen of him previously, but then I also thought Craig Bellamy wasn't much use when we coughed up £6m for him....

Lets see what he is like when he plays for us and THEN pass judgement on Souness's decision to buy him...

Faye and Babayaro I'll give you - crap signings, but on the other hand I think Boumsong, Parker and Emre are awesome players...

16597[/snapback]

We all have our opinions of who is the best etc, but I think facts are very important. Craig Moore has not completed a competitive game for us, why, he's injured, how long will he be out, we don't know. FACT we can't judge. IMO it is expensive to pay a players wages before he's even started a game in the PL.

Faye and Babyaro, crap signings who cost us £3m, Boumsong cost us £8m, not worth it. Fact is that Sourness thinks these guys are proper players and that makes it alright. I still fail to see the benefit of these signings, remind me who they replaced.

On his man management skills He picked a fight with Bellamy to act the hard man to rid us of the problem, when the problem is still in charge of the team. We were on the decline at the end of last season and the results this season show no improvement. FACT.

Sourness must have nightmares trying to put a team together from the squad of players he has. Who is responsible for the squad of players? SOURNESS of course.FACT

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Souness helped us reach the semi-final of the FA Cup and the UEFA Cup quater-final before the complete collapse against Lisbon. That was partly influenced though by the game against Villa where everything all went wrong - a day after Shearer signed a new deal and the end to Newcastle's run. It was partly the antics of Dyer and Bowyer definitely to blame.

Well Souness helped us reach the semi-final of the FA Cup and the UEFA Cup quater-final before the complete collapse against Lisbon. That was partly influenced though by the game against Villa where everything all went wrong - a day after Shearer signed a new deal and the end to Newcastle's run. It was partly the antics of Dyer and Bowyer definitely to blame.

16815[/snapback]

Is that a reply to me?

If it is, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Souness managed to emulate Dalgleish and Gullit? He is still a defensive master and did a lot of good stuff but Dyer and Bowyer bollixed it up for him?

Wow, fair enough but surely if that's the case they should have been run out of the club asap, yet one of them got a new £80,000 a week (a week) contract and the other remains.

Please explain.

/Oh and neither of them were/are defenders.

16815[/snapback]

Is that a reply to me?

If it is, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. Souness managed to emulate Dalgleish and Gullit? He is still a defensive master and did a lot of good stuff but Dyer and Bowyer bollixed it up for him?

Wow, fair enough but surely if that's the case they should have been run out of the club asap, yet one of them got a new £80,000 a week (a week) contract and the other remains.

Please explain.

/Oh and neither of them were/are defenders.

16831[/snapback]

I can't see his point either, unless his standard of expectation for Newcastle are limited to winning a few cup games.

He's made some cracking signings.

He didn't sell Solano.

He didn't buy Cort or Viana.

He stood up to the wankers who we were all pissed off with.

Bellamy never scored anyway...

As for Mr Shepherd, I can't believe why we're not realising that big offers for the right player saves the club money in the long run.  :wink2:

16433[/snapback]

he bought Faye, Moore and Babayaro.

He let Bernard go to be replaced by Babayaro.

He has let Ambrose and Hughes go.

He wants to get rid of Bowyer and keep Dyer and Jenas.

He has let our entire attack go and replaced them with more midfield players.

He is down on his transfer fees and has used the majority of his budget to do the above.

No one was pissed off with Bellamy. If you were, you were the only one who was.

We have plummeted in the league, believe it or not it's results that count, and every time he talks about Spriit, Bobby Robson should go on TV and tell him he should shut his gob until he matches the spirit, results and ability of the team that played regularly in the Champions League that he inherited.

16451[/snapback]

a) as squad players as the squad was rather depleted when he arrived(babayaro was due to needing a short term fix due to over demanding previous encombent who is now struggling to find gainful employment)

b)see above

c)so!

d)wants rid of bowyercos he hasnt performed plus he'll be worth less in a years time,dyer having now signed a new contract perversly is worth more that he was due to not being in the last year of his contract,also he's played well since xmas(bowyer has played ok very end of last season aswell),jenas,is it possible souness is just making the noises to keep the price high ?

e)we needed quality in midfield as opposed to numbers,money is there for forwards,ask fred why it aint being spent ?

f)his budget still seems to have a bit left but if the chairman wont spend it ????

g)are you the same leazes mag that was on the old toon-chat board???? if you were you may have noticed one or two being very pissed off with bellamy,i'll admit leazes you do put over some good points but putting stuff like that makes you seem silly.

He's made some cracking signings.

He didn't sell Solano.

He didn't buy Cort or Viana.

He stood up to the wankers who we were all pissed off with.

Bellamy never scored anyway...

As for Mr Shepherd, I can't believe why we're not realising that big offers for the right player saves the club money in the long run.  :wink2:

16433[/snapback]

he bought Faye, Moore and Babayaro.

He let Bernard go to be replaced by Babayaro.

He has let Ambrose and Hughes go.

He wants to get rid of Bowyer and keep Dyer and Jenas.

He has let our entire attack go and replaced them with more midfield players.

He is down on his transfer fees and has used the majority of his budget to do the above.

No one was pissed off with Bellamy. If you were, you were the only one who was.

We have plummeted in the league, believe it or not it's results that count, and every time he talks about Spriit, Bobby Robson should go on TV and tell him he should shut his gob until he matches the spirit, results and ability of the team that played regularly in the Champions League that he inherited.

16451[/snapback]

a) as squad players as the squad was rather depleted when he arrived(babayaro was due to needing a short term fix due to over demanding previous encombent who is now struggling to find gainful employment)

b)see above

c)so!

d)wants rid of bowyercos he hasnt performed plus he'll be worth less in a years time,dyer having now signed a new contract perversly is worth more that he was due to not being in the last year of his contract,also he's played well since xmas(bowyer has played ok very end of last season aswell),jenas,is it possible souness is just making the noises to keep the price high ?

e)we needed quality in midfield as opposed to numbers,money is there for forwards,ask fred why it aint being spent ?

f)his budget still seems to have a bit left but if the chairman wont spend it ????

g)are you the same leazes mag that was on the old toon-chat board???? if you were you may have noticed one or two being very pissed off with bellamy,i'll admit leazes you do put over some good points but putting stuff like that makes you seem silly.

16856[/snapback]

A proper manager ie Keegan, would have came in and convinced the player to sign a contract for a club that is going places. A shite manager loses the player.

Dyer v Bowyer is a no no. Bowyer is a proper central midfield player, Dyer is a right sided midfield player as he was when we bought him. He could play up front as he has the pace and energy to play off someone, but he isn't and never has been a central midfield player. And having said that, Souness holding Dyer up as a model professional is the biggest joke I've heard in years. Once again Clueless disagrees with himself. He says the most important thing is what happens when you cross the white line, then sells the most hungry player on the books and kisses the arse of the most underachieving.

The point e, about Shepherd is a total no go. A year ago, we were established top club. Shepherd has backed Souness all the way to make the changes he wants, and we have gone backwards as a result. I don't believe anyone can say Shepherd hasn't backed his managers, its the most absurd thing I've seen on these message boards, and if you want to dispute it, look at the figures and see how many clubs have spent or handed their managers more of their clubs money over the past 7-8 years than us.

Makes me smile actually, because it makes me think that people who peddle this shite are sitting in the working mens clubs listening to people who still think McKeag is running the club.

So far as I know, I am the only Leazes Mag, certainly am on toonchat, skunkers and howaythetoon. If people are pissed off with Bellamy, they weren';t when he was here !!!

For me, he always has been a top player. I was over the moon when we signed him because I thought he was a top player playing in a poor team at Coventry, and when we have seen him play for Newcastle fully fit is one of the best forwards I've seen play for us. If you think owt I say is silly, thats your opinion, although it's not half so stupid as those who still think Souness should be given time, but i won't change my opinions and if I'm proved wrong will admit it.

Edited by LeazesMag

if he's backed him all the way why havent we 2 forwards while bidding just short.even this close season,o'brien fee,hughes£1.5 mill,bellamy£5.5?,ambrose£1mill?.....parker£6.5,emre£3.8,not too far apart so fat fred has backed souness with all of about £1.5 mill?

nice of you to move the goalposts as it were to make it happy with bellamy when he was here ...define "here" as a lot of people were very pissed off with him around the time of the arsenal away game as you well know.

have to admit that in the last 2 weeks i have started to cool towards souness.

Up till then i thought he was doing a great job.

Althought i am convinced that ff is witholding transfer funds, i think souness has proved to be an amateur in the transfer dept.

Compare him to sam at bolton, and you can see a real professional at work.

Kegans big sucess was in picking talent players to sign, tho he made mistooks (barton) where as souey has a 50% sucess rate.

Mind thats very close to sbr sucess rate too.......JJ, milner, viana= crap

I would guess that soueys biggest mistake was in trusting FF. Ill bet he misinformed souey over how much spending spower he would have.

at the end of the day, it comes down to individual personality as to whether you can see how destructive robert and bellamy were for this club..........souey had the balls to bite the bullet, but it will have been wasted if the next week is empty of signings.

Seems like this swek will haunt him for the rest of his life!!

if he's backed him all the way why havent we 2 forwards while bidding just short.even this close season,o'brien fee,hughes£1.5 mill,bellamy£5.5?,ambrose£1mill?.....parker£6.5,emre£3.8,not too far apart so fat fred has backed souness with all of about £1.5 mill?

nice of you to move the goalposts as it were to make it happy with bellamy when he was here ...define "here" as a lot of people were very pissed off with him around the time of the arsenal away game as you well know.

16865[/snapback]

Sorry mate, just when I thought it was getting to be a good discussion...

Souness CHOSE to spend his money on midfield players [3 in all] and no strikers....knowing he was going to need strikers....

I doubt very much we got anywhere near 5.5 mill for Bellamy [this is where your missing million or two comes in....]

20m quid in the transfer market, NONE of them strikers .....

Anyway, ref your question about my username, there's no other LeazesMag, I used to be westendlad, told everyone when I changed, and have bagged that name on here too, I used both those names on rivals before skunkers started as well. What were you on the old message boards ?

Edited by LeazesMag

"It's a hard place to go," added Souness. "Bolton play a kind of football that suits the players they have there.

Wow, what fantastic observation. This is called tactics. Maybe Newcastle should also start to play a kind of football that suits the players...

"It's a hard place to go," added Souness. "Bolton play a kind of football that suits the players they have there.

Wow, what fantastic observation. This is called tactics. Maybe Newcastle should also start to play a kind of football that suits the players...

16923[/snapback]

Tactics are for school teachers :wink2:

16923[/snapback]

To be fair we do have tactics. Hooooooooooooooooooooooooof.....

16923[/snapback]

16930[/snapback]

To quote the great man again:

"It's not everyone's cup of tea but they get results, and if you're going to get something there, your defenders have to do well."

Graeme, spot the difference between their and our hoofing game...

16923[/snapback]

16930[/snapback]

To quote the great man again:

"It's not everyone's cup of tea but they get results, and if you're going to get something there, your defenders have to do well."

Graeme, spot the difference between their and our hoofing game...

16934[/snapback]

Er, their's is effective?

Edited by alex

At heart I am sure Souness is a good person. He's done good things at the club and does have respect quite a few of the players. The arrival of Souness has had positive effects on the defence and the likes of Bramble (who was regarded as a joke before) and Taylor have made great progress.

Not sure what good things you are suggesting but other than following Robson in overseeing the development of Taylor and overspending on the neverthless good signing Boumsong (3 defensive players out, three in, no adequate cover on the left or right), Im not sure how he has had much of a positive effect on our defence.

I know stats can be misleading but the number of goals conceded in Robsons last full season 2003-4 was 40 our lowest sice we came 2nd 8 or so years ago. Last season we conceded 57, the worst since we nearly tumbled into oblivion 13 years ago. :wink2:

16677[/snapback]

Thanks for reminding me of this, I thought I might have been imagining things from last year. There now seems to be a general consensus that we are "sorted" at the back, but this doesn't seem to tally with last seasons results. Perhaps a before and after Boumsong statistic might be telling.

Anyhow, what is certain is that at the back, like most other places, we are very thin in depth - two or three injuries/suspensions from disaster in fact.

Thanks for reminding me of this, I thought I might have been imagining things from last year. There now seems to be a general consensus that we are "sorted" at the back, but this doesn't seem to tally with last seasons results. Perhaps a before and after Boumsong statistic might be telling.

Anyhow, what is certain is that at the back, like most other places, we are very thin in depth - two or three injuries/suspensions from disaster in fact.

Thats the problem, even if the defence is looking better thanks to Souness plan to take a small squad and make it smaller we are buggered once injuires hit.

If Baba is out (highly likely) we have Elliot (nowhere near good enough) or Taylor wasted out of position.

If Carr is out we again likely see Taylor out of position and with no Bramble would have Moore in the middle (if fit!)

Thats the problem, even if the defence is looking better thanks to Souness plan to take a small squad and make it smaller we are buggered once injuires hit.

If Baba is out (highly likely) we have Elliot (nowhere near good enough) or Taylor wasted out of position.

If Carr is out we again likely see Taylor out of position and with no Bramble would have Moore in the middle (if fit!)

16984[/snapback]

If only we had a really good player who could play anywhere across the back four - pretty good as well. Someone like, ooh, let's say Aaron Hughes? :wink2:

16984[/snapback]

If only we had a really good player who could play anywhere across the back four - pretty good as well. Someone like, ooh, let's say Aaron Hughes? :wink2:

16989[/snapback]

You're not allowed to say that, people will claim you are saying he's world class or something if you question selling him ;)

16989[/snapback]

Since when has Aaron Hughes been a really good player? Versatile - yes, honest - yes, but really good? Nah, sorry.

16923[/snapback]

Yes, but tactics are for school teachers and flair and creativity will get you nowhere - all it takes is a bunch of proper men!

16989[/snapback]

Since when has Aaron Hughes been a really good player? Versatile - yes, honest - yes, but really good? Nah, sorry.

16994[/snapback]

I said pretty good, don't twist my words ;)

Babayaro - honest? NO. Moore - really good? NO.

The point I was making was that we had a pretty good, honest player, who can play, as cover, anywhere across the back four should the need arise.

Just to put this one to bed on my view of it, selling Hughes was a good move but another balls up in that we brought in no-one better to replace him. Also, he was a good centre half, I rated him there, but not a very good full back imo.

Just to put this one to bed on my view of it, selling Hughes was a good move but another balls up in that we brought in no-one better to replace him. Also, he was a good centre half, I rated him there, but not a very good full back imo.

17004[/snapback]

It's in bed now as far as I'm concerned Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

:wink2:;)

16989[/snapback]

16994[/snapback]

Re-read what you wrote ;)

I agree with SLP, but his failing at centre-half was his lack of physical presence. He needed to be playing alongside a big lad like Bramble. He also seemed more comfotable in that position as you have a few more passing options and there is less of an onus on getting forward than when you play at full-back.

16989[/snapback]

16994[/snapback]

Re-read what you wrote ;)

I agree with SLP, but his failing at centre-half was his lack of physical presence. He needed to be playing alongside a big lad like Bramble. He also seemed more comfotable in that position as you have a few more passing options and there is less of an onus on getting forward than when you play at full-back.

17010[/snapback]

Oh poo! :D:D:D:icon_lol: