If Souness is sacked or resigns

Gemmill

Just really a quick question for those that have recently found themselves secretly wishing that we'll lose so that Souness will go soon:

What do you think will happen in terms of a replacement? Can you see anyone wanting to work for a chairman who will merrily negotiate transfer deals to within £1m before walking away from them? Who do you see as a REALISTIC replacement (bearing in mind Shepherd's aversion to all foreigners)? And never mind responding with the indignant "It's not MY job to find a replacement!" response, because, no offence, but you'll be the first to complain if Souness does get sacked (which is what you've demanded) and Shepherd doesn't have a ready-made replacement lined up, so I'd like to think you've at least given some consideration to a replacement.

I can understand people wanting rid of Souness, but I can't understand people thinking this will suddenly mean that things will get better. Shepherd will be working to the same shortlist as he did last time, and just like last time we'll be in the middle of a season and will find it nigh-on impossible to pry managers away from their current clubs.

Souey aint going now or in the next fortnight IMO.

I think it would be stupid to sack him now, as its taken sometime to get his own players in and his own backroom staff etc, it would be unsettling for the players and the new boys.

I know its hard but as soon as Dyer & Shola come back it gives us another attacking option, hopefully we shall get anothe player or two before the tranfer deadline but before that get behind the lads and Souey, please.

It will shearer, asuming he has his UEFA badges by then.

16654[/snapback]

What? By next week?

:wink2:

By the way Scott, is this thread aimed at anyone in particular?

It will shearer, asuming he has his UEFA badges by then.

16654[/snapback]

What? By next week?

:wink2:

By the way Scott, is this thread aimed at anyone in particular?

16658[/snapback]

I'm just setting Hobbes up so that I can blame him personally when Souness gets sacked and his replacement is just as woeful. That way every time something goes wrong under the new bloke I think it's fair to say it'll all be Hobbes' responsibility. ;)

Nah, just really at those who think that Souness leaving in the next few weeks would be a good thing. I think it would be a fucking disaster personally - what we need is to make some signings in the next 8 days, and then play out the season and make any managerial replacements in the close season.

No changes until the transfer window slams shut. Crucially, the international break that saw the end of Bobby is just around the corner as well.

I don't think we've got much to gain by sacking Souness unless we have a real top coach lined up. I don't rate him as a manager but who else will we get in? I'd sooner have a crap manager who we can get shot of in June than another one sitting on a five year deal.

Unlike with Bobby, Shepherd cannot get rid of the manager to hide the blame, it's clear everyone has seen through that now and removing the manager will only leave Shep more exposed. I should also add in Fred's defence, that the decision to sack Bobby Robson was made by the Halls.

I think it's more likely Souness will walk to salvage what is left of his battered reputation.

Shearer doesn't need his badges yet. Souness surprisingly hasnt' got any. I would be happy with anyone at the monet except Peter reid. Even O'Leary who i detest or Bruce who I think is a w*nker. Maybe even Mark McGhee. I know they aren't great but bith Bruce and O'leary have better management skills than Souness and I think Even McGhee or barrell scraping Brian Little would be an improvemenet on Souness.

Shearer doesn't need his badges yet. Souness surprisingly hasnt' got any. I would be happy with anyone at the monet except Peter reid. Even O'Leary who i detest or Bruce who I think is a w*nker. Maybe even Mark McGhee. I know they aren't great but bith Bruce and O'leary have better management skills than Souness and I think Even McGhee or barrell scraping Brian Little would be an improvemenet on Souness.

16667[/snapback]

I don't think either are an option as they won't leave their current clubs part way through a season without massive compensation being required, which Shepherd wouldn't pay.

I can't believe you would appoint Brian Little just so that Souness wasn't in charge. What then? He wouldn't be up to the job either. That's exactly the sort of decision Shepherd would make and people would go mental about.

Edited by Gemmill

Just really a quick question for those that have recently found themselves secretly wishing that we'll lose so that Souness will go soon:

What do you think will happen in terms of a replacement?  Can you see anyone wanting to work for a chairman who will merrily negotiate transfer deals to within £1m before walking away from them?  Who do you see as a REALISTIC replacement (bearing in mind Shepherd's aversion to all foreigners)?  And never mind responding with the indignant "It's not MY job to find a replacement!" response, because, no offence, but you'll be the first to complain if Souness does get sacked (which is what you've demanded) and Shepherd doesn't have a ready-made replacement lined up, so I'd like to think you've at least given some consideration to a replacement.

I can understand people wanting rid of Souness, but I can't understand people thinking this will suddenly mean that things will get better.  Shepherd will be working to the same shortlist as he did last time, and just like last time we'll be in the middle of a season and will find it nigh-on impossible to pry managers away from their current clubs.

16648[/snapback]

I don't know what happens then. My hope would be that Fat Fred has learned from his last mistake. And I think Souness was his first appointment that was wrong right from the start. I don't blame him for appointing Dalglish, because he seemed perfect to make a winning team out of what KK had left over. I loved the appointment of Gullit because I adored him as a player and loved his idea of "sexy football". And only an idiot would say that appointing SBR was a bad idea.

So don't trust in Fat Fred or have faith, but I hope he makes a sensible appointment again. I don't know who else than Bruce and Allardyce were approached last time. I fear Souness was in fact very high up the list anyway. If I were in the position I'd give the likes of Curbishley a thought, asking Keegan out of retirement. My very own idea and probably as a chairman I would get hung for is someone like George Burley who I think has loads of managerial potential.

In another thread I already said that I am already writing this season off and would consider an interim solution. Probably not Roeder but again someone like Keegan could be asked to do a job for just ten months and prepare the ground for somebody to take over at the end of the season and give the club time to get a first choice manager.

Anyway, whatever happens in my eyes it can't get worse than it is at the moment.

P.S. Who was it again who started the it's not my job to find a replacement malarky?

P.P.S. How come so many consider 1,000,000 pound (and more) as a tiny sum? Do some of those people have ever took part in contract negotiations (not only football related)?

P.P.S. How come so many consider 1,000,000 pound (and more) as a tiny sum? Do some of those people have ever took part in contract negotiations (not only football related)?

16670[/snapback]

Just the accountants.

P.S. Who was it again who started the it's not my job to find a replacement malarky?

It certainly wasn't me if that's what you're suggesting.

I have taken part in fee negotiations as it happens, not that that's really relevant. The point is that in our position we have to accept that to an extent we are at the mercy of the seller. I don't think that £1m is a small amount of money, but I think a figure like that can be foregone when you consider the impact being successful in one of these signings could have on our league and cup performance - one extra round of the cup with a sold-out St. James Park would make that money back.

Glen Roeder, the bargain bucket option till the end of the season, then Shearer.

I'd like to laugh that off, but it seems far too plausible.

16669[/snapback]

You see, this is what worries me. It's all well and good people saying they hope we lose our next few matches so that Souness will be sacked, but with that fuckwit of a Chairman at the helm dragging himself in front of the media with even more fairytales we'll end up even further in the shit. We're going to become even more of a laughing stock and known as the club who couldn't even hold onto a shite manager! Who the hell would want to come and manage/play for us at the moment anyway with FS taking us all for idiots?

And Isegrim - I don't think FS will ever, ever admit he's made a mistake. His over-inflated ego is too great for that.

It certainly wasn't me if that's what you're suggesting.

Hmm, I thought it was you who answered the question of who you wanted to have as a replacement that it is not your job to find replacements. But I am sorry if I am mistaken and it was the other way round and it stared with HTL saying it wasn't his job

I have taken part in fee negotiations as it happens, not that that's really relevant. The point is that in our position we have to accept that to an extent we are at the mercy of the seller. I don't think that £1m is a small amount of money, but I think a figure like that can be foregone when you consider the impact being successful in one of these signings could have on our league and cup performance - one extra round of the cup with a sold-out St. James Park would make that money back.

16673[/snapback]

It's just that negotiations doesn't work like in the "life of Brian" where somebody is prepared to pay whatever is needed. And if you do it once you won't get taken seriously in the market anymore. Newcastle have paid over the odds for players in recent history anyway (last time in January).

And I am not too sure about the speculation that the money might pay off by future success. First my local club here in Germany went bust because of that kind of speculation so I am always wary of that kind of speculation. Second, who says that this sort of speculation wasn't already included in the calculation of how much money Newcastle can afford to pay? Seeing as there is no European football this year then 20m.

Glen Roeder, the bargain bucket option till the end of the season, then Shearer.

I'd like to laugh that off, but it seems far too plausible.

16669[/snapback]

And Isegrim - I don't think FS will ever, ever admit he's made a mistake. His over-inflated ego is too great for that.

16674[/snapback]

Oh, I didn't meant it literally. I never expected Fat Fred appearing in front of a Sky camera saying "Sorry, I was wrong, I'll buy everyone a pint."

I rather meant that he would take his last appointment into consideration and learn from his mistake.

As much as I believe Souness is the wrong man for Newcastle United, I firmly believe it would be mad to sack him right now, especially if you are basing your opinion on the first two results of the season.

Arsenal away - We more than contained them for an hour and who knows what we could have got from the game had it not been for the sending off.

When the fixtures were published did anyone predict anything other than a beating ?

West Ham home - Surely a banker home win ? the sending off galvanised the Hammers, they defended even harder and whilst we had an attacking crisis, we weren't going to score.

Bolton away - although it boils my piss to admit it Bolton are a bloody hard club to beat thanks to their dificult, spoiling tactics, anyone predicting a win here ?

ManUre away - Only one likely outcome: the traditional season Tonking.

My very own idea and probably as a chairman I would get hung for is someone like George Burley who I think has loads of managerial potential.

16670[/snapback]

I think you`ll find both Jimbo and I agreeing with you on that one.

16684[/snapback]

Not a realistic one IMO though. Seems too decent a bloke to walk out on a job he's just started.

My very own idea and probably as a chairman I would get hung for is someone like George Burley who I think has loads of managerial potential.

16670[/snapback]

16684[/snapback]

Not a realistic one IMO though. Seems too decent a bloke to walk out on a job he's just started.

16686[/snapback]

Considering there is already quite a few reports this side of the border about his not so good relationship with Romanov i don`t think it would be that unrealistic.

16670[/snapback]

16684[/snapback]

16686[/snapback]

Considering there is already quite a few reports this side of the border about his not so good relationship with Romanov i don`t think it would be that unrealistic.

16687[/snapback]

If he's already having bother with one chairman, Freddie Shepherd is unlikely to be viewed as a pleasing prospect.

16670[/snapback]

16684[/snapback]

I was lambasted in the past for mentioning Burley as a candidate for being a potential Newcastle manager, Burley is demonstrating further how he can take a team and improve them as players and get them to play better in themselves.

This is the top level of manager, rather than those that can only manage via the cheque book.