If Souness is sacked or resigns

Gemmill

To be fair i think its hard to judge who is realistic and unrealistic.  As much as we are more of a comedy club than a football club we are still seen as a reasonably big club.  The signing of the likes of Emre still show this IMO

16693[/snapback]

Also the interest of Luque who was really thought of joining Real this summer demonstrates it. I think there would be the chance of appointing a high profile manager, though probably not just a couple of games into the season. That this isn't an ideal scenario I know myself.

That leads me to another question: When is Souness contract running out? Didn't he just sign a two year contract? (I'll start googling it myself now anyway)

To be fair i think its hard to judge who is realistic and unrealistic.  As much as we are more of a comedy club than a football club we are still seen as a reasonably big club.  The signing of the likes of Emre still show this IMO

16693[/snapback]

Its true, even when we are a mess we have the money and reputation left to pay people that means you can still be surprised as to who we may get. Both Emre and Parker show that as if a smaller, less well known club were in exactly the same position as us, neither would have signed, they signed because we are NUFC.

Theres also the argument that Souness is such a disaster that anything is better than allowing him to continue his wrecking job.

And i agree with Isegrim, i'm thought i remembered Gemmill using the "Not my job to find a replacement" in the Robert argument when those of us pro-Robert kept asking his haters to line up some realistic and viable replacements guarenteed to do better than him.

16693[/snapback]

Its true, even when we are a mess we have the money and reputation left to pay people that means you can still be surprised as to who we may get. Both Emre and Parker show that as if a smaller, less well known club were in exactly the same position as us, neither would have signed, they signed because we are NUFC.

Theres also the argument that Souness is such a disaster that anything is better than allowing him to continue his wrecking job.

And i agree with Isegrim, i'm thought i remembered Gemmill using the "Not my job to find a replacement" in the Robert argument when those of us pro-Robert kept asking his haters to line up some realistic and viable replacements guarenteed to do better than him.

16697[/snapback]

You'd be wrong too then. It was Wullie that started all that "Not my job" shite with regards to who should replace Souness, saying it wasn't his job to find a replacement. I was the one that was saying (in the same context that I am now), that if you're so hell-bent on getting rid of the current bloke, it's only reasonable to expect that you might have someone else in mind.

I probably then did use it in relation to Robert but in a "I think I'm right in saying that the correct response to this is 'That's not my job'" fashion.

You'd be wrong too then. It was Wullie that started all that "Not my job" shite with regards to who should replace Souness, saying it wasn't his job to find a replacement. I was the one that was saying (in the same context that I am now), that if you're so hell-bent on getting rid of the current bloke, it's only reasonable to expect that you might have someone else in mind.

I probably then did use it in relation to Robert but in a "I think I'm right in saying that the correct response to this is 'That's not my job'" fashion.

Even if you used it in that fashion you were still at the time avoiding providing an answer of a valid, realistic replacement for the bloke you wanted kicked out who we could get and who was guarenteed to be an improvement. So you can hardly knock other people for wanting Souness out without having 100% settled on who we should get and how we 'll get them.

Even if you used it in that fashion you were still at the time avoiding providing an answer of a valid, realistic replacement for the bloke you wanted kicked out who we could get and who was guarenteed to be an improvement. So you can hardly knock other people for wanting Souness out without having 100% settled on who we should get and how we 'll get them.

16703[/snapback]

Well actually I can because I was using it in a flippant "Why should I if you won't" fashion. I fail to see how that precludes me from ever again asking someone if they have a replacement in mind for the manager that they constantly demand be sacked.

16703[/snapback]

Well actually I can because I was using it in a flippant "Why should I if you won't" fashion. I fail to see how that precludes me from ever again asking someone if they have a replacement in mind for the manager that they constantly demand be sacked.

16704[/snapback]

Allright then you can ask them, but it makes you a collossal hypocrite :wink2:

16703[/snapback]

16704[/snapback]

16705[/snapback]

It doesn't like, but thanks for the permission. ;)

16703[/snapback]

16704[/snapback]

16705[/snapback]

It doesn't like, but thanks for the permission. ;)

16706[/snapback]

Your welcome! ;)

And as you know fine well you're showing the perfect dictionary defintion of a hypocrite! You can demand Robert out with no viable replacement, but others can't demand Souness out with no viable replacement.

The main problem i imagine people have with sacking him is that we basically have to write off the season, well if we keep him we have to write off the season as well!

What i want Shepherd to do is starting now go and find a top class replacement by seeing exactly who is willing to take over, and when he knows sack Souness. And i'm aware of quite how underhand that is, but i don't care as long as NUFC benefits by getting rid of a tosspott and bringign in a top class manager.

Of course one problem is the shortlist Fat Fred would sraw up of who to ask about the job and the fact it may well be missing all the best candidates!

Just really a quick question for those that have recently found themselves secretly wishing that we'll lose so that Souness will go soon:

What do you think will happen in terms of a replacement?  Can you see anyone wanting to work for a chairman who will merrily negotiate transfer deals to within £1m before walking away from them?  Who do you see as a REALISTIC replacement (bearing in mind Shepherd's aversion to all foreigners)?  And never mind responding with the indignant "It's not MY job to find a replacement!" response, because, no offence, but you'll be the first to complain if Souness does get sacked (which is what you've demanded) and Shepherd doesn't have a ready-made replacement lined up, so I'd like to think you've at least given some consideration to a replacement.

I can understand people wanting rid of Souness, but I can't understand people thinking this will suddenly mean that things will get better.  Shepherd will be working to the same shortlist as he did last time, and just like last time we'll be in the middle of a season and will find it nigh-on impossible to pry managers away from their current clubs.

16648[/snapback]

Gemmil. Question. What would you say if it turned out that Shepherd let Bellamy go for an absolute pittance, say 1m, or even 2m or 3m, just to get him off the books and avoid an ugly confrontation with his manager ?

What would you say about the manager, forcing his chairman into such a corner. Not to mention the sheer stupidity of the whole thing ? Someone somewhere made the decision to give Bellamy that extra week off when the players reported back for training, and I know who my money would be on.

So do you not consider such actions throwing money down the drain to back the manager, exactly the same as bidding 1m short to replace him.. or looking at it another way, because he has backed the manager he doesn't HAVE the extra 1m to go all the way.

Furthermore, do you not see sometimes you can just go too far to make a gamble, because a gamble it is, especially if there is any truth in the above scenario. 1m might not sound a lot in football terms, but if we constantly undersell our own players etc etc and we paid over the top for Boumsong, you have to call a halt somewhere.

I don't agree Shepherd is a bad deal for managers. Dalglish, Gullit and Robson have never at any time said he didn't support them with as much cash as they could want. Gullit especially took no pay off if you remember, and I'm sure they would all tell any manager who asked them that he supported them all the way.

I agree with Icegrim. I was personally against Gullit, and with Dalglish, but Souness is the first bad choice generally Shepherd has made.

Edited by LeazesMag

I firmly believe most managers in the league could do a better job than Souness.

I like the Burley suggestion, I have admired him for a while (I'm seeing Hearts on Saturday).

Or we could go for someone like Mike Newell, and keep Shearer as his chief coach.

You might scoff, but it has to be worth the risk. We need someone who knows how to use and motivate average players, because contrary to popular belief we haven't got £30M to hand out to every new manager we employ.

Of course, I always wanted O'Neill, and believe we could have got him last year if we'd really pushed the boat out for him. But as we know, we made the mistake of not replacing Robson when we should, and now Shepherd has repeated the exact same mistake, for the 4th time in 7 years. It really beggars belief. :wink2:

I firmly believe most managers in the league could do a better job than Souness.

I like the Burley suggestion, I have admired him for a while (I'm seeing Hearts on Saturday).

Or we could go for someone like Mike Newell, and keep Shearer as his chief coach.

You might scoff, but it has to be worth the risk. We need someone who knows how to use and motivate average players, because contrary to popular belief we haven't got £30M to hand out to every new manager we employ.

Of course, I always wanted O'Neill, and believe we could have got him last year if we'd really pushed the boat out for him. But as we know, we made the mistake of not replacing Robson when we should, and now Shepherd has repeated the exact same mistake, for the 4th time in 7 years. It really beggars belief.  :wink2:

16728[/snapback]

I have this feeling that we have little choice but to run with what we've got, i might add that this would never be my choice cos Sourness is worse than useless.

It is perilously close to the end of the transfer window and who would really want to take over at that time and put himself through hell with the fans and the press when it was going wrong, only an idiot, only someone who was desperate for a job, smacks of........have we been here before!!!!!!!!!

I know Sheargol thinks similar, as me and him have mentioned it before, but David Hodgson at Darlo has turned them around from a bottom team to a top team for the 3rd time...a manager destined for bigger things too.

At the moment though we might need a short term but he's worth keeping an eye on. Agree with those who think there are literally dozens at least who would have done better than Souness has, in fact I think very few wouldn't.

Edited by LeazesMag

The thought of who we would persuade replace Graeme Souness (at ANY time of the year, I hasten to add...) scares the living shit out of me!

Souness is NOT the right man for us, you'll not find me disagreeing there, but the root problem is way above him!

Given our current status and the apparent desire for our chairman to build up the hopes of his manager by looking to commit to a deal only to renage on it at the last moment when the finer points are being sorted, confirms to me that there would not be many who would be interested in the position, and certainly not one who would be the significant improvement that many on here think would be forthcoming...

There are press rumours that Souness and Shepherd have come to blows - I'm not fucking suprised! If I was brought in to do a job, have a carrot dangled in front of my nose (more than once) and then whipped away at the last minute, I'd be pissed about it as well!

We have a chairman who is not seeing the bigger picture - he's pulled out of deal after deal this summer when it appears a player has an interest in joining the club simply because, in his words, he 'won't be held to ransom!'. Which right-minded half decent player is going to be interested in joining us now when it appears that the chairman seems keen to get their hopes up about a deal only to pull the plug at the last minute?

Tactically Souness is shite - totally agree! In terms of his transfer dealing, particluarly this summer, he has not gone that far wrong! He has been interested, and opened negotiations with quite a few players we've all said that we'd love to see at SJP and who we think will improve the team. Then he's gone to Mr Shepherd for the cheque and is told he can't have it!!

He's sold players which has brought in (some) transfer funds and vastly reduced the wage bill and still the purse strings are being drawn...

The way I see it, you could put Jose Mourinho in the manager's seat and, so long as the chairman remains and has the same stance, we won't improve....

First and foremost, this club needs investment in the playing payroll = without it ANY manager hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell!

The thought of who we would persuade replace Graeme Souness (at ANY time of the year, I hasten to add...) scares the living shit out of me!

Souness is NOT the right man for us, you'll not find me disagreeing there, but the root problem is way above him!

Given our current status and the apparent desire for our chairman to build up the hopes of his manager by looking to commit to a deal only to renage on it at the last moment when the finer points are being sorted, confirms to me that there would not be many who would be interested in the position, and certainly not one who would be the significant improvement that many on here think would be forthcoming...

There are press rumours that Souness and Shepherd have come to blows - I'm not fucking suprised! If I was brought in to do a job, have a carrot dangled in front of my nose (more than once) and then whipped away at the last minute, I'd be pissed about it as well!

We have a chairman who is not seeing the bigger picture - he's pulled out of deal after deal this summer when it appears a player has an interest in joining the club simply because, in his words, he 'won't be held to ransom!'. Which right-minded half decent player is going to be interested in joining us now when it appears that the chairman seems keen to get their hopes up about a deal only to pull the plug at the last minute?

Tactically Souness is shite - totally agree! In terms of his transfer dealing, particluarly this summer, he has not gone that far wrong! He has been interested, and opened negotiations with quite a few players we've all said that we'd love to see at SJP and who we think will improve the team. Then he's gone to Mr Shepherd for the cheque and is told he can't have it!!

He's sold players which has brought in (some) transfer funds and vastly reduced the wage bill and still the purse strings are being drawn...

The way I see it, you could put Jose Mourinho in the manager's seat and, so long as the chairman remains and has the same stance, we won't improve....

First and foremost, this club needs investment in the playing payroll = without it ANY manager hasn't got a snowball's chance in hell!

16803[/snapback]

Hasn't Souness actually said that he hasn't had any dealings with players at all and has left everything to FFS?

Sorry, I worded that all wrong...

I didn't necessarily mean Souness himself opening contract talks with a player, what I meant was Newcastle United as a club in discussions with another club about purchasing their player. Souness expresses the interest, talks open and then FFS kills any deal late on...

It's fucking stupid IMO!

Might as well bump this thread as surely it has to be soon that the fuckwitt is dumped out on his arse before he completely ruins us.

17574[/snapback]

Whilst the fat f*cker who is responsible for the overall mess will still be in a job. Whilst i don`t think Souness is the man for the job its the fat controller that is ruining us!