Death..

Toonraider

In the same respect i don't fully believe that it's right to tell kids that there's someone who jumps down chimneys to deliver presents every 25th December. And yes, I am hypocritical and mine are told all about Santa Claus.

Doesn't make it right though.

What harm is it doing?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

as someone nearer Death than most I guess I reckon there's not a lot of point worying about it

Like everyone else I'd prefer it to be quick and clean and painless

Dying of cold is the easiest way I understand - you just drift away - but I aint turning the paraffin stove off just yet

Are you hoping for a plane crash Rob? :)

all that screaming on the way down ......naaaa -maybe straight into Cumulo Granite would be OK tho'

anyway there's a fair chance you'd walk away -there's 32% chance you'll survive an accident in which someone is killed

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm :(:D:D

Edited by Rob W

I've had people ask me if I'm worried that I drive under the Heathrow flight path twice a day and I can categorically say that I'm not.

:) You're NAILS! Do people seriously ask you that question as if you're running the gauntlet twice a day? You've probably got more chance of winning the lottery than you have of a plane landing on your head. :(

Yup they do - it's fucking pathetic, isn't it??

as someone nearer Death than most I guess I reckon there's not a lot of point worying about it

Like everyone else I'd prefer it to be quick and clean and painless

Dying of cold is the easiest way I understand - you just drift away - but I aint turning the paraffin stove off just yet

Are you hoping for a plane crash Rob? :)

all that screaming on the way down ......naaaa -maybe straight into Cumulo Granite would be OK tho'

anyway there's a fair chance you'd walk away -there's 32% chance you'll survive an accident in which someone is killed

http://www.planecrashinfo.com/cause.htm :(:D:D

Did you see last weeks Horizon "How to survive a plane crash"? They put the chances at much higher than that actually.

In the same respect i don't fully believe that it's right to tell kids that there's someone who jumps down chimneys to deliver presents every 25th December. And yes, I am hypocritical and mine are told all about Santa Claus.

What harm is it doing?

I just think it's odd that while you bring up kids teaching them to speak the truth and all along, us as parents are telling them one of the biggest lies there is on the grounds that it makes it more 'magical' for them.

Bigging them up for a fall tbh

What harm is it doing?

I just think it's odd that while you bring up kids teaching them to speak the truth and all along, us as parents are telling them one of the biggest lies there is on the grounds that it makes it more 'magical' for them.

I would agree, plus I know of some kids who were bullied at school because they still believed in Santa when all the others didn't. I think this could have a serious negative effect on how they trust their parents. Best compromise is let them believe for a bit but then tell them at a young age it isn't true (maybe about 6 years) I reckon.

What harm is it doing?

Bah humbug! :)

Course it makes it more magical for them, thats all part of being a child, every child should be able to have that feeling on Christmas morning of running down the stairs to see what Santa has brought them, its a damn sight more exciting than finding out what your parents have bought you.

Unless you don't have enough money for decent presents and get yourself into stupid amounts of debt because you don't want your kids thinking that the jolly old fella with the beard is a reet miserly cunt.

:)

Edited by Meenzer

don't make it right though - like i said, i do it to make it magical for them, but i know one day her dreams will be shattered when i tell her he doesn't actually exist and that we 'made the whole thing up'.

Though on a similar note, I suppose if fabrication and lying to your kids are what you're looking to avoid then there's an argument against celebrating Christmas at all...

I don't, I celebrate Festivus instead.

Though on a similar note, I suppose if fabrication and lying to your kids are what you're looking to avoid then there's an argument against celebrating Christmas at all...

I studied in Birmingham, so Winterval is now my celebration of choice.

No, no, you want to air your grievances around the Festivus pole, none of this Winterval crap.

Guest Patrokles

Drowning is apparently very unpleasant until you actually get past the trying to breathe stage. There's a point you reach when the final stages are peaceful, but prior to that, the body's instinct is for survival and it makes drowning not fun.

The most pleasant and peaceful way to go is apparently hypothermia. Which I imagine got mixed up in the whole drowning thing and has caused the notion of drowning being nice. Lying in sub-zero waters is one way to get hypothermia.

No, no, you want to air your grievances around the Festivus pole, none of this Winterval crap.

I think Meenz will enjoy the tests of strength more.

What about carbon monoxide poisioning? Is that peaceful as its supposed to be?

I've been poisoned by CO - you just fall over - - the important thing IS TO DIE - because if they try and bring you back after a certain stage your brain is f******

Nice!

I can't begin to imagine the feeling of running out of breath underwater and having to just 'breathe' water in.

Although isn't it the CO2 poisioning that kills you first rather than the lack of oxygen?

Edited by nufc4ever

Nice!

I can't begin to imagine the feeling of running out of breath underwater and having to just 'breathe' water in.

Although isn't it the CO2 poisioning that kills you first rather than the lack of oxygen?

No. Lack of oxygen. In fact lack of oxygen to the brain is ultimately what kills us all (apart from people who literally have their brains blown out).

What harm is it doing?

I would agree, plus I know of some kids who were bullied at school because they still believed in Santa when all the others didn't. I think this could have a serious negative effect on how they trust their parents. Best compromise is let them believe for a bit but then tell them at a young age it isn't true (maybe about 6 years) I reckon.

It's a complete pyschological mind-fuck IMO. You tell them one thing for years and then all of a sudden, tell them that you've been lying your arse off to them!

It's a complete pyschological mind-fuck IMO. You tell them one thing for years and then all of a sudden, tell them that you've been lying your arse off to them!

Once they're old enough to work it out they're old enough to understand why tbh.

On the death thing, apparently crucifiction's a doddle.

As is jumping out of the window of a skycraper apparently. They reckon you're unconcious by the time you hit the ground so feel nowt.

Nice!

No. Lack of oxygen. In fact lack of oxygen to the brain is ultimately what kills us all (apart from people who literally have their brains blown out).

Aye, just read the same on this morbid yet fascinating Wikipedia page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drowning

I never knew about the mammalian diving reflex - amazing stuff.

Edited by nufc4ever