Shearer breaks kids wrist

Jimbo

It was meant to be a lucky break for the budding young keeper. There he was, ready to face one of football's deadliest strikers who was kicking a ball in anger for the first time since hanging up his boots.

But when the teenage keeper tackled hotshot Alan Shearer it all went wrong.

And as he dived to save the soccer ace's spot shot, the power of it left him with a broken wrist.

It happened while Shearer was on a promotional trip to Australia and New Zealand for sportswear giant Umbro.

The promising teenager was in goal during a coaching clinic in Australia but had his wrist broken when he stopped the powerful shot from the former England and Newcastle United striker.

And it was the 36-year-old himself who revealed details of the accident to a 600 place gala-dinner at New Zealand's home of rugby, Eden Park in Auckland. He said: "It was the first shot I'd hit in anger since I retired.

"I'd been working with the youngsters and they were having some shooting practice. I thought this kid is pretty good so I'll have a go myself and just put it a bit wide of him.

"I did what I've always done and just smashed it but he got a hand to it and kept it out.

"When I went over to congratulate him I put my hand out and it was obvious he'd broken his wrist."

Auckland Community Papers reported how the young player, believed to be 14, was left sprawled on the ground from his heroic effort.

Shearer also told the audience, which was peppered with Geordie expats who'd paid around £50-a-ticket, he was glad they found the story funny.

"Certainly his mum and dad didn't. Umbro is getting sued left, right and centre now," he joked.

Since his retirement earlier this year, Shearer has been travelling as a roving ambassador for football sportswear giant Umbro, and also commentating for the BBC.

A spokesman for Umbro in New Zealand confirmed the incident but neither he or Shearer would comment further.

:) Get in Alan! How soft are the Aussies man?

Any excuse to rag on the Aussies, eh Gemmill? Pity he's a New Zealander :D

All the same to me, mate. :( They've just got a slightly worse accent.

It appears I spoke in a piqued fit of parochialism - the incident happened in Australia but only came to light during the NZ leg...

That being said, there's no need to lump us in with the Kiwis - we could always retort by calling the English Welshmen or Scots :D

Guest Patrokles

:) Get in Alan! How soft are the Aussies man?

Any excuse to rag on the Aussies, eh Gemmill? Pity he's a New Zealander :D

All the same to me, mate. :( They've just got a slightly worse accent.

Comparing NZers and Aussies is doing NZers a MASSIVE DISSERVICE.