Woody makes Real Madrid debut

Brock Manson

http://uk.sports.yahoo.com/050823/2/d4kb.html

MADRID (Reuters) - England defender Jonathan Woodgate made his first appearance since joining Real Madrid a year ago when he played in the 5-0 win over the Major League Soccer All-Stars in the Santiago Bernabeu Trophy on Tuesday.

Woodgate, who joined from Newcastle United for around 20 million euros (13.6 million pounds) last August, was given a standing ovation when he came on for Ivan Helguera four minutes from time.

Advertisement

He touched the ball three times while he was on the pitch, passing it neatly out of defence, but he did not have to make a tackle or chase down any of the opposition strikers.

"It's been a very hard year for me but I've finally made my debut and obviously I'm delighted," said Woodgate.

"I need to play a lot more with the team but for now I'm really pleased. I've got to say a big thank-you to the fans for the reception I was given, I felt it in my heart."

Real coach Vanderlei Luxemburgo said Woodgate's debut was an important step on his road to full integration in the team.

"It was our objective to fire up Woodgate," said the Brazilian. "We are trying to build a team here and if he looked emotional that was what we wanted."

The 25-year-old centre-back had not played a competitive match since tearing a thigh muscle while playing for Newcastle against Chelsea in a league encounter in April 2004.

Woodgate was due to make his debut for Real last October but suffered a recurrence of the injury in a training game and did not play for the rest of the season.

Good for him, hope he does well there. Still hope he'll be wearing the toon shirt again one day.

Apparently he now speaks fluent Spanish. Mind he has had plenty of time on his hands.

17130[/snapback]

If someone like Woody (not the sharpest knife in the draw to be fair) can speak fluent Spanish in under a year, just how thick must David Beckham be? :wink2:

dont forget gerarrd was once a bigger crock than him. and now hes probably the best cm in the world

17215[/snapback]

Gerrard experienced some 'growing pains' but he's never been in the same league as the (fully grown) Woodgate. I read somewhere he's never played more than 9 (I think) consecutive first team games.

Apparently he now speaks fluent Spanish. Mind he has had plenty of time on his hands.

17130[/snapback]

If someone like Woody (not the sharpest knife in the draw to be fair) can speak fluent Spanish in under a year, just how thick must David Beckham be? :wink2:

17158[/snapback]

I can tell you that Jonny "village" Woodgate IS definitely the thickest footballer on this planet. He makes Shola look like a genius.. Sean Wright-Phillips runs them both quite close though.

Well maybe they'll get the same glimpses of brilliance we did followed by lingering injuries. During the blokes time off with injury he'll be glassing himself and cavorting in the sea with his Mrs on his back while supposedly resting himself.

17130[/snapback]

17158[/snapback]

I can tell you that Jonny "village" Woodgate IS definitely the thickest footballer on this planet. He makes Shola look like a genius.. Sean Wright-Phillips runs them both quite close though.

17232[/snapback]

our own titus bramble isn't the sharpest tool in the box either...

I had a mate at uni who's dad had taught Woodgate and apparently he is thick even by footballers standards!!!

If fit he;s the best defender in this country, he's an absolute genius to the art of defending, but will he ever be fot long enough to get into and stay in the England team?

some interesting comment on nufc.com on owen and woodgate

Two words came straight into our head when the offer was announced - Jonathan Woodgate.

Despite official confirmation that it was the case, it still seems odd to us that the Spanish club played the full £13.4m fee to Newcastle for the defender up front.

Is Madrid's agreement on an Owen deal a straight cash bid - or is there some sort of paper transfer / redress on the Woodgate transfer? It's probably an academic question anyway - unless the player has a change of heart.

17130[/snapback]

Hmm, only medical term or can he also say "That's some nice beer glasses you have there. Do you mind if I smash them over my head." in Spanish? That would be quite impressing...

17130[/snapback]

Hmm, only medical term or can he also say "That's some nice beer glasses you have there. Do you mind if I smash them over my head." in Spanish? That would be quite impressing...

17283[/snapback]

impressIVE, Isegrim, impressIVE ..........

17130[/snapback]

17283[/snapback]

impressIVE, Isegrim, impressIVE ..........

17286[/snapback]

:wink2:

No comprendo. Soy alemán.