owen back on

Stu_J

I've always been one who has denied owen would come to us, but it looks like it could happen now, breaking news on all the general sports outlets states, "owen would prefer to move on to liverpool, this is his ideal situation, but he has AGREED to move to newcastle on a year long loan deal if the move to liverpool does not happen in time." This is great news, if of course liverpool don't want him, I hope they don't but the sale of baros leads me to belive they might. The only thing in our favour is that rafa has said he doesn't want him. We can only hope!

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

BBC

Owen ready for Premiership return

Real Madrid's Michael Owen

Everton fail to sign Owen & Kuyt

Real Madrid's Michael Owen wants to return to Liverpool but is prepared to spend this season on loan at Newcastle if a move to Anfield cannot be agreed.

Madrid have promised to help the 25-year-old England forward return home to boost his World Cup hopes.

"I said that my ideal situation was to start the season in the Real Madrid team and if not I would prefer to return to Liverpool," Owen said.

"If the transfer cannot be finalised in time I have agreed to go to Newcastle."

Owen spent much of his first season at the Bernabeu coming off the bench and the arrivals of Brazilian strikers Robinho and Julio Baptista this summer have seen him slip further down the pecking order.

I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team

Michael Owen

The former Liverpool star had earlier indicated he was willing to stay and fight for his place, but after talks with president Florentino Perez has now had a change of heart.

He added: "I need to be playing regularly in World Cup year.

"I am most grateful to Senor Perez for his personal concern about my career. I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez insists his main priority is to sign a centre-back and already has Djibril Cisse, Fernando Morientes and Peter Crouch as his frontline strikers.

But Owen's return to Anfield would be welcomed by Liverpool fans, having scored 158 goals in 297 games in his first spell at the club.

Owen scored 16 goals for Real last season despite being used primarily as a substitute.

On Tuesday Everton manager David Moyes revealed his club had spoken to Owen's representatives, but the player rejected a move to Goodison Park.

Yep, I heard the breaking news of this on Virgin Radio about ½ hour ago...

I sincerely hope Liverpool don't go for him - we may not be his first choice but given that he has an emotional pull to Liverpool and absolutely no connection with us, I really couldn't give a shit about that!

He'd be a massive hit here, and a massive addition to our squad...

I've got everything bloody crossed hoping that this happens!

Oh and the thing which is being overlooked of course is that's now the third international player this summer who's turned down a move to Everton in favour of a move to Newcastle....

Whether he signs for us or not, he obviously prefers SJP to Goodison!

Oh and the thing which is being overlooked of course is that's now the third international player this summer who's turned down a move to Everton in favour of a move to Newcastle....

16886[/snapback]

Don't hold your breath - I just feel Owen is using Newcastle to get Liverpool to move to get him. Can't blame him, of course the way we are the minute.

16886[/snapback]

Don't hold your breath - I just feel Owen is using Newcastle to get Liverpool to move to get him. Can't blame him, of course the way we are the minute.

16889[/snapback]

Agreed but whatever way you look at it, Everton were flatly turned down - he's actually stated that he is willing to join NUFC...

I still don't reckon it'll happen unfortunately. From what you hear it sounds like Benitez is under a lot of pressure from the board to bring Owen back - you can't blame them given their performance in front of goal so far this season. What we need is Liverpool's strikers to get a hatful against CSKA at the weekend to ease that pressure a bit.

16886[/snapback]

16889[/snapback]

Agreed but whatever way you look at it, Everton were flatly turned down - he's actually stated that he is willing to join NUFC...

16895[/snapback]

Of course Everton were flatly turned down, that would be like Shearer signing for the mackems.

We won't get him and Fat Fred will use this as an excuse not to sign anyone else.

I'm not getting vaguely axcited until he actually plays for us at this point.

16898[/snapback]

I would Love it if he played for us, Love it !!

but I really think the reason he has come out and been so vocal is to heap pressure on Benitez and lets face it, it's gonna be pretty hard for Rafa to turn down a fans own hero who is nigh on begging to come home

16886[/snapback]

16889[/snapback]

16895[/snapback]

Of course Everton were flatly turned down, that would be like Shearer signing for the mackems.

We won't get him and Fat Fred will use this as an excuse not to sign anyone else.

16901[/snapback]

Completely agree - Owen won't know whether Benitez wants him until after the weekend, Shepherd won't pursue any other deals expedcting to get Owen on loan and then just before the deadline Liverpool can offer Real £7M take it or leave it and once again we're left with sweet bigger all

Massive, massive pressure on Benitez and the Liverpool board to sign Owen. I think it'll be too great and he'll go back. Perhaps we should try to get Cisse cut price instead?

16907[/snapback]

i get the feeling benitez is very much his own man, he knows what he's trying to get and if Owen doesn't fit, he won't sign him. he wasn't massively concerned when gerard was trying to leave.

having said that the emotional pulls may prove too strong.

having sold baros it lookslike the scousers are gearing up to take owen.

No way owen would play for everton, cant blame moyes for trying tho.

Would save this club, if he came to us atmo, as i think we gonna have a tuff job atmo geting a good striker......toomany other clubs chasing stikers atmo.

what a depressing week!!

cisse would be great, some of his finishing is class. Hes had some good games in the champ league, maybe not a top stirker inthe league, but would be pacey enough to work off shearer.

Edited by Womblemaster

He's clearly stated his intentions that he wants a move back to Liverpool. Benitez has said he's not interested of course, but it seems like he's the only one at Liverpool who isn't. Owen saying this could well change his mind, or put more pressure on him to change his mind.

I honestly think he'll be off to Liverpool. I don't think there's much chance of him coming here. Of course, if he did, it would be brilliant.

FF & GS: This is not an excuse to sit on your arses and do nowt, on the slim possibility that Owen is coming. But they probably will anyway.

16886[/snapback]

16889[/snapback]

16895[/snapback]

16901[/snapback]

but didnt Owen support Everton as a boy?

Well if we spend over 16m for him I think it might make us the only bidder, because I can't see Liverpool pursuing their interest any further and making a 5m loss on a player they only sold one year ago.

As much as I am excited about the prospect of seeing Owen at Newcastle I do think it is a desperate attempt of Fat Fred to appease the masses by doing economical nonsense.