owen back on

Stu_J

I personally will be chuffed to bits if we sign Owen, I can't believe there are so many miserable fuckers on this board that are being so negative over the potential signing of a world class striker.

He'll be a legend here if he signs for us.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest I can see people having reservations about the cost to us. Over 15 million is alot especially considering that Madrid paid 8 million for him only a year ago.

Don't get me wrong I will be delighted if he signed for us in any capacity, hopefully in a permenant deal. Some people are suggesting we could have bough 3 or 4 players with the Owen money, but very rare do you get a chance to sign genuwine world class players.

If you remember when the Rooney bids came about some people were moaning we don't need him we have Shearer, Bellamy, Kluivert and Ameobi even so I supported the bid, you cannot turn down a chance to sign players of that calibre.

Owen now looks a realistic oppourtunity so we should go all out to get him, okay it is a lot of money, so was Shearer and look at how successful he has been for us. We need a talisman and a hero and Owen fits that category. People will soon forget how much he cost us if he hits 15 goals or more by Christmas.

owen update

Liverpool play Owen waiting game

Liverpool will not be rushed into a move to sign former star Michael Owen, despite Newcastle agreeing a club record deal with Real Madrid.

Owen, 25, has admitted he wants to join Liverpool, but is prepared to sign for Newcastle on a season-long loan if he cannot return to Anfield.

But BBC Sport understands Liverpool will not pay more than the £8m Real splashed out to land Owen last summer.

And he would have to take a pay cut to persuade Liverpool to pursue a deal.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has been coy on the possibility of signing a player he agreed to sell last summer, insisting his priority is a central defender and a right-sided midfield player.

But he is interested, and BBC Sport believes Liverpool may finally show their hand after Friday's Super Cup Final in Monaco against CSKA Moscow.

Liverpool are playing it cool on Owen because they have spent big on strikers to sign Fernando Morientes and Peter Crouch.

And while there has been talk that Djibril Cisse may leave, Liverpool cannot afford to take a heavy loss on a player that cost them £14m only last summer.

Liverpool have also broken the bank to keep Steven Gerrard at Anfield, and are now unlikely to offer Owen a similar deal.

This leaves Newcastle in the frame, although their club-record offer looks doomed to failure with Owen only prepared to contemplate a loan move.

The thing is that people have been complaining about the lack of ambition and then when its shown, its now he (Owen) is going to cost too much!

Its a no win situation, they'll just whine about everything, no matter what!

17268[/snapback]

Well, I am also one who is critical about overspending, but if the club has to pay over the odds then rather for Owen than for the likes of Luis Boa Morte and Nicolas Anelka.

17275[/snapback]

Exactly, now that Shepherd has us backed into a corner we are going to pay over the odds no matter who the player is. Still, each place in the Prem costs us 500,00 loss and relegation....... erm that would be expensive.

The thing is that people have been complaining about the lack of ambition and then when its shown, its now he (Owen) is going to cost too much!

Its a no win situation, they'll just whine about everything, no matter what!

17268[/snapback]

Well, I am also one who is critical about overspending, but if the club has to pay over the odds then rather for Owen than for the likes of Luis Boa Morte and Nicolas Anelka.

17275[/snapback]

Exactly, now that Shepherd has us backed into a corner we are going to pay over the odds no matter who the player is. Still, each place in the Prem costs us 500,00 loss and relegation....... erm that would be expensive.

17302[/snapback]

And if this deal goes tits up, we've now revealed to everyone that not only are we utterly wetting ourselves in desperation for a striker, but we've got £18 million kicking around to buy players. Go back and try and barter for Anelka and Boa Morte after their clubs were so awkward in the first place and they'll be asking us for a fucking fortune.

i can't believe people on newcastle-online are finding things to complaining about us signing owen. he's exactly what we need.

can anyone even log on over there? i keep getting all manner of error messages - this being the latest...

Connection Problems

Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later.

17222[/snapback]

I think the server problem is down to so many people wanting to whinge about the potential signing of Owen :wink2:

17224[/snapback]

I'll second that, it's a waste of fucking space that thing. The toon will have won something by the time they get that piece of shit up and running properly.

17231[/snapback]

Careful, I'll be receiving a PM shortly from one of the team over there full of unfair personal abuse before long! ;)

My gut feeling is, he'll be at Newcastle or Real Madrid come next Friday. Liverpool don't have £18m full stop, nevermind £18m for a centre-back, right-winger & centre-forward. It's all very well him saying he wants to go back to Liverpool, but if Real Madrid don't accept it, it's tough basically, and they're hardly going to accept a Loan deal or whatever when they can make a 100% profit on him from us.

17184[/snapback]

The scouser who drives my coach seems to think that Liverpool will sign Owen next week on loan for 12 months with an option to buy the season after.

He seemed pretty confident too so I don't know what his source was but I got on and said "signed Owen yet?" expecting him to say he had no idea but instead he came out with that which really put the pisser on my journey home! So I turned on Sky Sports and there's nothing new on there exept all the pundits don't think Liverpool need him or want him.

It's frightening that anybody could object to an attempt at signing Owen!

If we already had 4 top class strikers i'd want us to sign him, when we have barely one striker we need to sign him!!!

17270[/snapback]

Same thing though when we were linked with signing Rooney - "but we don't need strikers, we need centre backs". No pleasing some people!!

My only reservation is that he doesn't really seem to want to join us. We're like his last resort and I just feel there's no way he's coming permanently and if he's on loan he'll end up moving at the end of the season.