Stu_J

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Magpies agree record fee for Owen - Beeb

Newcastle have revealed they have agreed a club record fee with Real Madrid for England's Michael Owen.

Owen, 25, had indicated his desire to rejoin Liverpool but is prepared to join Newcastle on a season-long loan if a move to Anfield cannot be agreed. But a Newcastle statement said: "Newcastle United have met Real Madrid's asking price and conditions." Newcastle, whose previous record fee was £15m for Alan Shearer, are now waiting to hear from Owen's advisers.

The statement added: "The agreed fee will be a record transfer fee for Newcastle United. It is now up to the player and his advisor." Madrid have promised to help Owen return home to boost his World Cup hopes.

Owen said: "I said that my ideal situation was to start the season in the Real Madrid team and if not I would prefer to return to Liverpool.

"If the transfer cannot be finalised in time I have agreed to go to Newcastle."

Owen spent much of his first season at the Bernabeu coming off the bench and the arrivals of Brazilian strikers Robinho and Julio Baptista this summer have seen him slip further down the pecking order.

I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team

Michael Owen

The former Liverpool star had earlier indicated he was willing to stay and fight for his place, but after talks with president Florentino Perez has now had a change of heart.

He added: "I need to be playing regularly in World Cup year.

"I am most grateful to Senor Perez for his personal concern about my career. I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team."

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez insists his main priority is to sign a centre-back and already has Djibril Cisse, Fernando Morientes and Peter Crouch as his frontline strikers.

But Owen's return to Anfield would be welcomed by Liverpool fans, having scored 158 goals in 297 games in his first spell at the club.

Owen finished with 16 goals for Real last season despite being used primarily as a substitute.

Everton fail to sign Owen & Kuyt

On Tuesday Everton manager David Moyes revealed his club had spoken to Owen's representatives, but the player rejected a move to Goodison Park.

Lyon have also expressed an interest in the England striker, but he appears set for a return to England.

Owen did support Everton as a boy, as did his father.

I'm a little perplexed about this one :wink2: A record deal has been agreed between us and Real, but only a year long loan deal is being talked about! Erm....

Owen would be great to have here. After all, he has a great record at SJP!

NUFC would be a great move for a year for Owen; one year of guaranteed football and no european games to add to this 'tired out' rubbish leading up to the world cup.

So: Michael Owen - come on down. Still think he will end up at Anfield though.

Well if we spend over 16m for him I think it might make us the only bidder, because I can't see Liverpool pursuing their interest any further and making a 5m loss on a player they only sold one year ago.

As much as I am excited about the prospect of seeing Owen at Newcastle I do think it is a desperate attempt of Fat Fred to appease the masses by doing economical nonsense.

16939[/snapback]

I agree that it smells like the last act of a desperate man. However, if we pull this off it's for the good of the team. Whatever I think of either Souness or Fat Fred, I want NUFC to win games.

"It's up to the player and his advisor."

So he's still not coming then. :wink2:

16940[/snapback]

I tend to agree with this statement to a point.

I REALLY don't think he'll come on a permanent deal BUT by agreeing to Real's valuation that has "set the bar" for a Liverpool bid.

Question is would Real accept anything less from Liverpool just to help poor Michael - I doubt it.

The price might just persuade them to duck out so we MAY get him on loan. AND if he does come for a year who knows how he might feel after that if he has a good season.

I'm also hoping Real get Liverpool in a CL group, that might sway them a bit as well.

If it's just a bid by Shepherd to try and price Liverpool out of being able to buy him, so that we can take him on loan instead, then it's a work of genius by Shepherd. Desperate maybe, but a clever business move.

If it's just a bid by Shepherd to try and price Liverpool out of being able to buy him, so that we can take him on loan instead, then it's a work of genius by Shepherd.  Desperate maybe, but a clever business move.

16954[/snapback]

Howay man, have a word with yourself.

The 16m bid is the feck up Liverpool's bid, it's kind of clever really by Fred's standards. They'll never bid 16m for a player they sold for 9m plus a lawyer last season, so either he joins us for 16m or he joins on loan for a year.

Fred may actually shit himself if he and Real agree to the permanent offer.

I'd love to trust Newcastle, but I think this is just Freddie try to keep us fans happy. He probably knows fine well that Michael Owen wont agree to sign for us, but having Real accept Newcastle bid for Owen splashed all over the media makes it look like we are actively trying to bring someone in.

If it's just a bid by Shepherd to try and price Liverpool out of being able to buy him, so that we can take him on loan instead, then it's a work of genius by Shepherd.  Desperate maybe, but a clever business move.

16954[/snapback]

Looks like you beat me to it, not sure about that bit though!

EDIT: Because if I was Owen I'd be pissed off at what is a faitly obvious ploy, worth a gamble though.

Edited by DotBum

16954[/snapback]

16957[/snapback]

Wha? :wink2:

Owen: 'if the transfer to Liverpool cannot be done in time, then I will go to Newcastle.'

That means Liverpool DO want him and that they are trying to arange a deal.

If he (Owen) does come here it surely would only be for a year.

I will be quite happy to have him here just for a year as that would give us more time to get some other strikers in before next season.

Maybe Kuyt has turned down Everton because he's also coming here????

16954[/snapback]

16957[/snapback]

16962[/snapback]

You accused Fat Fred of being clever, shrewd almost. Have a word man. ;)

Owen: 'if the transfer to Liverpool cannot be done in time, then I will go to Newcastle.'

I will be quite happy to have him here just for a year as that would give us more time to get some other strikers in before next season.

16964[/snapback]

So it's official then is it, a record fee for Owen?

God, I hope this works out, talk about putting all your eggs in one basket. Obviously I'm relieved we have signed a class striker, one eho I never thought would come here to be honest, but the money (in excess of 15M) scares me.

16954[/snapback]

16957[/snapback]

16962[/snapback]

You accused Fat Fred of being clever, shrewd almost. Have a word man. ;)

16970[/snapback]

Ahhhh, I see. Let you off then. ;)

I'll believe it when I see him in a Toon strip.

16960[/snapback]

*opens photoshop*

:wink2:

16972[/snapback]

But that would be me seeing a doctored photo of Owen appearing to be wearing a Toon strip rather than me actually seeing him wearing one ;)

16964[/snapback]

So it's official then is it, a record fee for Owen?

God, I hope this works out, talk about putting all your eggs in one basket. Obviously I'm relieved we have signed a class striker, one eho I never thought would come here to be honest, but the money (in excess of 15M) scares me.

16973[/snapback]

As I said in a previous post, I can't work this one out as it's supposed to be a record deal and a year loan all at the same time!!!!!

In my post that you have quoted I was pointing out that Liverpool do indeed want to sign him regardless of what they say to the contrary.

If, and it's a big if, Owen comes to Newcastle it will only be for a year imo.

If we do get Owen, the best thing about it would be the return of the 4-4-2 formation IMO.

Seriously.

16974[/snapback]

Yeah, I've been wondering about that. What odds on Souness trying to turn Owen into a winger?