Stu_J

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't understand them over there..

they'd rather have a cast off from Fulham (Boa Constrictor), or someone no-one has ever heard of (Luque) or someone EVERYONE has heard of (Anelka) than a proven gaol scorer at all levels who stays out of trouble.............

Madness!    Madness!!!!

17016[/snapback]

They do like a moan though.

they'd rather have a cast off from Fulham (Boa Constrictor), or someone no-one has ever heard of (Luque) or someone EVERYONE has heard of (Anelka) than a proven gaol scorer at all levels who stays out of trouble.............

Madness!    Madness!!!!

17016[/snapback]

I can't quite believe what I'm reading over there to be honest. Being cynical about this move is one thing, but saying that it's a huge mistake and "devastating" is fecking amateur dramatics at its best. Sad as owt.

17019[/snapback]

I can't say I'm happy about us being his third choice (ideal preference would be to be in Madrid's first team, failing that a move to Liverpool, failing that a loan spell at Newcastle), but frankly what with the state we're in at the moment and the other names being bandied about I cannot believe how anyone could be against us going all out on this one.

He's proven at every level, his attitude is second to none, his goal record is staggering and he means what he says about it being world cup year and him needing to be in form and impressing the national coach. This should be music to everyones ears FFS!

Basically we dont stand a chance if Liverpool go for him, but if that doesnt happen then we should be biting the little buggers hand off at the elbow!

The fact is Liverpool don't need a striker, and we could always try for Baros or Morientes (he'll be better than nothing) if Owen signs for Liverpool.

They already have Cisse, Morientes, Crouch (*laughs*), Mellor and Pongolle so I doubt they'd all be pleased of Owen joined.

The fact is Liverpool don't need a striker, and we could always try for Baros or Morientes (he'll be better than nothing) if Owen signs for Liverpool.

They already have Cisse, Morientes, Crouch (*laughs*), Mellor and Pongolle so I doubt they'd all be pleased of Owen joined.

17028[/snapback]

Didn't Baros join Villa yesterday?

17028[/snapback]

Baros signed for villa yesterday.

I looked through a lot of the posts on there, and really couldn't bring myself to reply.

I do think the fee is too much, but the way I see it we have very little choice if we are to stand a chance of getting him.. Rather pay over the odds on Michael Owen than a Viduka, Anelka, Luque..

Madness!    Madness!!!!

17016[/snapback]

I can't quite believe what I'm reading over there to be honest. Being cynical about this move is one thing, but saying that it's a huge mistake and "devastating" is fecking amateur dramatics at its best. Sad as owt.

17019[/snapback]

If we pull it off, and its a big if, then it could be a fantastic signing. However, the money does really worry me, especially since I don't think we will be able to afford anyone else.

I actually think a loan deal would suit both parties very well now, but probably not Real Madrid. One things for sure though, NO more excuses for Souness if this happens.

I'm not massively excited yet, as it probably won't happen anyway and even if it does, the root cause of our problems are still there.

17028[/snapback]

They're in the Champions League though and for me only Morientes is proven at that level (which he is with distinction). Mellor is a fat bastard, Crouch is untested and a streak of piss and Pongolle is a distinctly average striker. Cisse is the best bet currently to partner Morientes in Europe but I'm still pretty sure Liverpool would gladly bring Owen back now they know they're involved in CL for the medium term at the very least.

By the way some sites are saying that we've 'agreed a record fee' Whats all that about? - wouldnt that suggest we're trying to sign him permanently? Probably a load of shite but just wondered if anyone was aware of any developments?

Madness!    Madness!!!!

17016[/snapback]

17019[/snapback]

If we pull it off, and its a big if, then it could be a fantastic signing. However, the money does really worry me, especially since I don't think we will be able to afford anyone else.

I actually think a loan deal would suit both parties very well now, but probably not Real Madrid. One things for sure though, NO more excuses for Souness if this happens.

I'm not massively excited yet, as it probably won't happen anyway and even if it does, the root cause of our problems are still there.

17033[/snapback]

Surely it's a small price to pay since you had us down as certainties for relegation without the addition of a new striker :wink2:

Some of the pessimism on Online is a little extreme, but I think the heart is in the right place. The idea of Michael Owen doing his hamstring in and missing 2 months of the season doesn't bare thinking about, if we sign no other players.

We hardly have a good record on this sort of thing....Bellamy/Dyer/Emre.

Apparently our Luque valuation was only £1.4m off(I have seen no official quotes, but that's the figure bandied about), we are in desperate need for a left-wide player, yet Fred wouldn't let the cash go.

Compare that to this....we have, for the last 8 months, been working on our 4-5-1 formation for this season. Souness has his 3 central players in place(Emre/Parker/JJ), and has been looking at his wide left players (Luque/Boa) to accompany his wide right player (Dyer). All of a sudden, we go for a player who is pretty much a dead-duck in a 4-5-1 formation as he feeds off of flick ons?

It kind of smacks of desperation.

This is the where Shepherd makes himself look stupid though isn't it.

If he didn't do things like this he might be better off and we would think more of him.

If this bid is to hike up the fee from Liverpool, so we get him on loan, then yes it's very clever, but also a let down if he does arrive on loan in the end.

If it's genuine it's bloody stupid being 4-5 million quid depending on which report you read, more than their valuation.

17028[/snapback]

Baros signed for villa yesterday.

17030[/snapback]

Whoops I meant Cisse, as you can see below I ddn't include him.

The teletext is quoting an 18milllion fee which imo is a lot of money for a striker who has no first touch, but were desperate and lets face it theres no one else available.

One thing you can't argue with is, he will score goals and quite a few of them. A loan deal would do me then we could spend the money on someone else (who?) and hopefully if we had a decent season and Owen eneded up a hero he might just decide to stop here then we can use next seasons transfer funds.

The fact is Liverpool don't need a striker, and we could always try for Cisse or Morientes (he'll be better than nothing) if Owen signs for Liverpool.

17028[/snapback]

They're in the Champions League though and for me only Morientes is proven at that level (which he is with distinction). Mellor is a fat bastard, Crouch is untested and a streak of piss and Pongolle is a distinctly average striker. Cisse is the best bet currently to partner Morientes in Europe but I'm still pretty sure Liverpool would gladly bring Owen back now they know they're involved in CL for the medium term at the very least.

By the way some sites are saying that we've 'agreed a record fee' Whats all that about? - wouldnt that suggest we're trying to sign him permanently? Probably a load of shite but just wondered if anyone was aware of any developments?

17034[/snapback]

I agree with what you said there, but if Owen did sign he'd be first choice striker. Morientes would probably be happy, knowing him from Madrid. That'll move Crocuh further down the pecking order and they wouldn't sell him because he's their new striker. We know how Baros wasn't pleased at his lack of first-team football. But anyway, their main priority is a centre-back is it not?

Well it looks like we have the Rooney situation again, the only difference is we're not sure whether Liverpool are going to take him. No matter what fee we've agreed I can't see Owen joining us on a permanent deal this season. However if he wants a world cup warm up and wants to whore our club out for the season then that's ok by me, as long as he brings us 15+ goals.

Regarding Crouch, Benitez said he signed him because it gave Liverpool another option if they were struggling in games. Gave them an extra dimension. Sounds to me like having a choice between Owen, Morientes, Cisse and Coruch would be ideal for Benitez, epsecially with a CL campaign and the fact Liverpool fans expect a crack at the league this year.

Regarding Crouch, Benitez said he signed him because it gave Liverpool another option if they were struggling in games. Gave them an extra dimension. Sounds to me like having a choice between Owen, Morientes, Cisse and Coruch would be ideal for Benitez, epsecially with a CL campaign and the fact Liverpool fans expect a crack at the league this year.

17052[/snapback]

Oh yeah I can see what he means now (even though Crouch is crap). I doubt Crouch would like that, being on the bench a lot though, if that. I think the safest bet actually for Owen is to go on a loan move to Newcastle, and he can see how it goes and compares to the situation at Liverpool.

17052[/snapback]

Oh yeah I can see what he means now (even though Crouch is crap). I doubt Crouch would like that, being on the bench a lot though, if that. I think the safest bet actually for Owen is to go on a loan move to Newcastle, and he can see how it goes and compares to the situation at Liverpool.

17056[/snapback]

I think he wants to use Crouch away from home, which was where Liverpool had most of their problems last season.

As for Liverpool fans thinking they can win the league, I didn't say they would, but if your team had just won the CL you'd want and expect them to build on that.

United agree record fee for Owen

Aug 24 2005

By Alan Oliver, The Evening Chronicle

Newcastle United today agreed a club record fee in excess of £15m with Real Madrid for Michael Owen.

United lodged the bid after Owen sensationally admitted that he will move to Newcastle - if a return to his former club Liverpool falls through.

And while Liverpool may still be in the driving seat, the news that England's current centre forward is ready to join United on a season's loan is a tremendous boost to Freddy Shepherd, Graeme Souness and just as important the club's fans.

A brief statement released by Newcastle this morning suggests that United are still hoping to land Owen on a permanent transfer rather than on loan, and that may yet prove a sticking point.

The statement read: "We have met Real Madrid's asking price and conditions and the agreed fee would be a record transfer for Newcastle United.

"It is now up to the player and his advisors."

And still on the good news front, I understand that United have made a breakthrough in their bid to sign another striker apart from Owen, and this will happen in the next 24 hours.

Certainly, United have not given up hope of still bringing in Albert Luque from Deportivo La Coruna after offering the Spanish club e12m - £8.5m - for the 27-year-old striker.

But Owen was the talk of Tyneside today, and the 25-year-old striker has the blessing of Real Madrid president Florentino Perez, who has promised to help him to try to seal the move back to Anfield.

Failing that, the player is prepared to accept a one-year loan deal with Newcastle, with his first-team chances at the Bernabeu further limited by the summer signings of Robinho and Julio Baptista.

Owen said today: "I met the Real Madrid president before last night's friendly at the Bernabeu and we discussed my future.

"I said that my ideal situation was to start the season in the Real Madrid team and if not I would prefer to return to Liverpool.

"The president understood and said he would try to help me achieve this. If the transfer cannot be finalised in time I have agreed to go to Newcastle United but only on a one-year loan. I need to be playing regularly in World Cup year.

"I am most grateful to Senor Perez for his personal concern about my career. I have really enjoyed being part of his Real Madrid team."

Owen scored 158 goals in 297 games for the Reds, before leaving the club for Madrid last summer.

Liverpool boss Rafael Benitez insists his main priority is to sign a centre-back and already has Djibril Cisse, Fernando Morientes and Peter Crouch as his frontline strikers. "I want other players first - I am happy with my five strikers even now Milan Baros has gone," the Spaniard said after his side's 3-2 aggregate win over CSKA Sofia in the Champions League last night.

A return to Anfield for Owen would be popular among Liverpool supporters, who idolised the striker.

He scored 16 goals for Real last season despite being used primarily as a substitute behind Raul and Ronaldo, and with Robinho and Julio Baptista now on board his prospects of first-team football diminished further.

The Chronicle revealed a fortnight ago that Owen had told United privately that he was interested in joining them but only if Liverpool and Manchester United did not come in for him.

Owen is also on record as saying he is an admirer of Graeme Souness. [What record? A medical one before he got his head checked?]