Martins

Dr Gloom

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three contrasts:

When Shearer went through last year against Wigan which turned out to his last goal at SJP I knew he was going to score.

When Shola has any one on one I'm surprised if he scores.

When Martins had that shot today I thought not a bad effort - but for £10m I want someone I know will score - he isn't it (yet).

Too early too judge. But I am fearing the worst.

The signing came far too late (but hey, who needs planning) and is now looking totally unsettled in a team playing awful football and not to his strength. And I am really unsure if he will ever adapt to the English style of football.

In the first half he looked hungry and seemed to be linking well a couple of times with Shola.

In the second half he was a ghost, nowhere to be seen. The distribution from the rest of the field however isn helping him.

Guest Patrokles

can't judge until we start creating proper chances. I think he's improved since he first came, which is obviously a positive. He was okay in the first half. In the second half, I don't think you can judge him due to the general awful team performance. He needs a suitable partner, that much is pretty obvious.

can't judge until we start creating proper chances. I think he's improved since he first came, which is obviously a positive. He was okay in the first half. In the second half, I don't think you can judge him due to the general awful team performance. He needs a suitable partner, that much is pretty obvious.

I totally agree, he needs time to adapt.

Roeder's decision to continue with the lame Ameobi ahead of Rossi is as lamentable as his selection of Bramble in my opinion.

Good idea to persist with the long ball game against Bolton like, with their average height of about 7 fucking foot. Which fucking TIT on the coaching staff is either tellling them to do this, or not telling them not to???

Not helping Martins btw. That's the relevance to this thread. :lol:

I'm concerned about how good he is tbh.

Couldn't even take a fucking throw in today.

How fucking pathetic was that? Two or three times Ramage was standing on the sideline and absolutely no one was making any effort to get in a position to receive the ball, the lad didn't know what to do.

Couldn't even take a fucking throw in today.

How fucking pathetic was that? Two or three times Ramage was standing on the sideline and absolutely no one was making any effort to get in a position to receive the ball, the lad didn't know what to do.

It's been that way for years at Newcastle. The number of times we give away possession from throw-ins is ridiculous.

Martins has been poor so far, but has he really been that much worse than the rest of the squad?

Everyone seems to be playing below par with the exception of Carr, Ramage etc who are playing to their usual shite standards, Parker played better under Souness than he has under Roeder this season and Duff has gone from one of the best wingers in the league to average in the space of a summer.

They're not on their own, Solano was one of our best players at the end of last season yet some are writing him off as 'past it' after half a dozen games this campaign, Zoggy looks lost and Taylor is looks like he's been taking tips off Bramble on how to defend.

The blame has to lie with Roeder, his tactics this season seem to be for Martins to stay close to Shola and feed off any flick on or have Emre play 70 yard passes behind the opposition back line and hope that Martins gets there before it reaches their keeper.

We'll never get the best out of him like that, he's a far better player than Bellamy was when he first arrived but with the right coaching we transformed him into an excellent player, I just can't see Roeder and Terry Mac doing that with Martins.

We'll never get the best out of him like that, he's a far better player than Bellamy was when he first arrived but with the right coaching we transformed him into an excellent player, I just can't see Roeder and Terry Mac doing that with Martins.

Very True.

It is way too early to judge Martins, but he was always an extremely exciting prospect rather than the finished article; but the question is whether or not this coaching staff can get the best out of ANY player; and it certainly doesn't look like it..

I have my reservations about his ability and despite what Roeder said, I reckon we only turned to him when it was clear Kuyt was off to Liverpool.

Hasselbaink would have been a better risk to take.

He completely disappeared in the second half. What about that time he took possession of the ball and it sort of rolled backwards between his legs. He stood staring at his feet as if he thought someone had played a magic trick on him and made the ball invisible. As if he expected it to reappear or something.

Turn around you pillock! Or at least step backwards. The fucking thing's behind you. :lol:

He completely disappeared in the second half. What about that time he took possession of the ball and it sort of rolled backwards between his legs. He stood staring at his feet as if he thought someone had played a magic trick on him and made the ball invisible. As if he expected it to reappear or something.

Turn around you pillock! Or at least step backwards. The fucking thing's behind you. :lol:

He did a canny pirouette whilst in possession in the first half too, conceding the ball in the process. Leazes is going to hate this but I regard Martins as another panic buy, regardless of his quality he's not what we needed with the way we play, and contrary to what has been said here, so far I haven't really seen him connect well with Ameobi. If Owen comes back fit he will also be largely redundant.

Looked as sharp as he has since he's arrived in the first half and showed his turn of pace a few times. As others have said though, he wasn't the sort of player we needed if we were putting all our eggs in one basket as it were. Also, the way we are playing (in terms of performances and tactics) isn't helping one jot.

I thought Anelka looked, for the most part, disinterested and pretty gash too tbfh

Glimpses of promise; hard to say with the current squad. :calmdown:

Could probably be class in a different lineup but needs to show something quickly or will just be another Luque.

Waste of money so far.

The only thing I've been impressed with is this:

obarb5yx9.gif

...and I guess that's not really worth £10m :blink:

But time will tell, he's still young (???) and hopefully he'll adapt to the style and pace of the english game.

Edited by janu

he's a far better player than Bellamy was when he first arrived

:blink:

I have to agree with Leazes here, that is plainly not true.

Yeh Bellamy was class on occasions tbh :D