Martins

Dr Gloom

I'm a little concerned as to how we're going to play when Owen returns.

They're both deceptively good in the air (Martins leap's like a salmon and Owen just times his jumps to perfection) but the wingers we have might become frustrated that the majority of their crosses go to waste.

Hopefully who-ever is our manager will be able to shake up the system to present balls into space, or at the very least along the deck from the wingers.

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i watched martins closely last night, and while you can't question his effort, he still looks flat footed.

he always seems to wait until the ball is played before making a run, inevitably resulting in the defender getting their first.

it's a shame really because he's got the pace to get in behind far more often than he does if only he timed his runs better.

Yeah he does seem more often than not to rely on his pace getting him there ahead of the defender rather than anticipating or looking for a pass.

He is still young (maybe) and still adapting to a new way of football so I wouldn't rule out seeing an improvement.

He didn't seem to get much service from what I saw last night like either.

it's a shame really because he's got the pace to get in behind far more often than he does if only he timed his runs better.

When fit he could learn an awful lot from Owen about timing his run to get in behind the defence.

i watched martins closely last night, and while you can't question his effort, he still looks flat footed.

he always seems to wait until the ball is played before making a run, inevitably resulting in the defender getting their first.

That's likely to be down to not having any sort of understanding between him and the team that was fielded last night, but these things take time and the more they play together the better that understanding will be.

People expected Martins to hit the ground running and be an instant success, which in reality was never going to happen.

BTW has anyone seen the Youtube video of his goals at Inter Milan? It's not quite as good as Luque's but it's still got some pretty impressive efforts on it.

Martins Youtube video

I give it to you, that Martins needs time to develop an understanding with his team mates and has to adapt to the league. And I am much more positive about him as I was at the beginning.

But I still think he should make a bit more of an effort to help his team mates to understand him as well. Over large periods of the game his movement is far too static. He just stands there and waits to be on the receiving end of a pass. He doesn't even make himself available, but is just too passive. He could do a lot more to help his own cause. He far too rarely uses his pace, something we could have done with yesterday a lot yesterday. But it never looked like we could hit them on the break by using him.

He starts to show promise, but he is still far away from showing that he is the quality player some people make out he already is.

And I don't even bother watching a collection of handpicked scenes on youtube. I rather watch the games he plays in a Newcastle shirt to judge him.

He starts to show promise, but he is still far away from showing that he is the quality player some people make out he already is.

Well perhaps the people who rate him as a quality footballer have seen more of him at previous clubs compared to people who have only got his performances in a Newcastle shirt to judge him on.

I wonder what Scouser's make of fans who rave about how good Bellamy is supposed to be when more often than not he's dire for them, do they ignore the performances for previous clubs or do they go with the "he hasn't done fuck all in a Liverpool shirt so he can't be a quality footballer?"

Similar with Chelsea fans and Sheva, Arsenal fans and Baptista, West Ham fans and Tevez etc.

All quality footballers yet none have shown the form that earned them their reputation.

Well perhaps the people who rate him as a quality footballer have seen more of him at previous clubs compared to people who have only got his performances in a Newcastle shirt to judge him on.

I wonder what Scouser's make of fans who rave about how good Bellamy is supposed to be when more often than not he's dire for them, do they ignore the performances for previous clubs or do they go with the "he hasn't done fuck all in a Liverpool shirt so he can't be a quality footballer?"

Similar with Chelsea fans and Sheva, Arsenal fans and Baptista, West Ham fans and Tevez etc.

All quality footballers yet none have shown the form that earned them their reputation.

Hic Rhodos, hic salta! tbh.

I can understand that people say, that he will come good, based on his previous records. What I don't get is people pretending that he already is showing this class.

Edited by Isegrim

Luque at Depor...

<_<

Well to start with Luque was never as good as some make out he was at Deportivo, he's also one of a small bunch of players who you know will never make it in the Premiership from the first few games you see them.

Javier Mascherano is another.

Hic Rhodos, hic salta! tbh.

I can understand that people say, that he will come good, based on his previous records. What I don't get is people pretending that he already ishowing this class.

Who's saying that?

Who's saying that?

Don't pretend you weren't reading these kind of posts on N-O yourself. <_<

:lol:

Well everyone is entitled to their opinion I suppose, although I would have thought most people wouldn't get too drawn in by a few knee jerk opinions, similar to people over there who still try and defend Luque.

Not really the sort of opinions you take much notice of.

Luque at Depor...

<_<

Well to start with Luque was never as good as some make out he was at Deportivo, he's also one of a small bunch of players who you know will never make it in the Premiership from the first few games you see them.

Javier Mascherano is another.

Interesting that BOTH Real Madrid and Barca went on record to say they wanted to sign Luque, but Depo refused to sell to a Spanish team. Don't let that get in your way of a good Luque slagging though.

Look at Drogba, he was pretty average last season but now he has got to grips with the style of play in the premiership he is banging them in - unfortunatley.

He is adjusting to the game here and this will reap rewards. You can't just buy someone and then move them on when they show what they are capable of, now luque is a different matter. He just does not want to play, and makes excuses all the time