Martins

Dr Gloom

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What is his personality like?

I've seen him on the pitch and he always seems to look pissed off at the piss poor efforts at passes in his direction but in his interview after the Blackburn match he looked like a shy, down to earth kind of guy.

Probably just really keen and has very high standards. Gets annoyed with himself as much as anyone else from what I've seen.

I've just had £16 on Martins to finish top scorer in the Premiership at odds of 31/1 on Betfair ;)

Unbelievable odds IMO.

Nice one. If he keeps scoring (and maybe even keep improving his overall display) I will not begrudging this windfall to you. ;)

I've just had £16 on Martins to finish top scorer in the Premiership at odds of 31/1 on Betfair ;)

Unbelievable odds IMO.

Nice one. If he keeps scoring (and maybe even keep improving his overall display) I will not begrudging this windfall to you. ;)

;)

Obviously we still don't know how good he'll end up being, but it was ludicrous how quick he was written off as being a complete waste of money by some people.

As has been said before, the likes of Henry, Pires et al took a good year to adjust to the prem before showing what they could do, and they were older than Martins when they arrived.

They also had another massive advantage over Martins, they came into a top team playing the right sort of football for them, Martins came into a struggling team playing at times completely the wrong way for him.

He was always going to need some time, an improvement in the way we were playing and a goal or 2 for confidence and now he's flying.

Obviously we still don't know how good he'll end up being, but it was ludicrous how quick he was written off as being a complete waste of money by some people.

As has been said before, the likes of Henry, Pires et al took a good year to adjust to the prem before showing what they could do, and they were older than Martins when they arrived.

They also had another massive advantage over Martins, they came into a top team playing the right sort of football for them, Martins came into a struggling team playing at times completely the wrong way for him.

He was always going to need some time, an improvement in the way we were playing and a goal or 2 for confidence and now he's flying.

My mate STILL bangs on about how he is another Luque, Viana ;);)

Judging by the inter forum, they still miss him.

They loved him over there, don't blame them! Adriano isn't excelling at the moment is he?

Last thing I knew they had sent him back to Brazil to get his head sorted.

Judging by the inter forum, they still miss him.

They loved him over there, don't blame them! Adriano isn't excelling at the moment is he?

Last thing I knew they had sent him back to Brazil to get his head sorted.

Scored his first goal in ages the other day.

Hate playing against Inter on Pro Evo 6 with him in the team.

• 4 weeks later...

The contrast between the start of this topic and his importance to our current plight is enormous..

Anyway, I was just checking out some youtube footage of his time with us, and I noticed that a huge part of his goals for us have been bullets in the top of the net, completely unstoppable. If this is his preferred way of shooting, you would think he must quite often blast it over the bar, but I can´t seem to remember this happening too often.. Remember one or two instances where he hit the bar (Chelsea springs to mind), but generally he´s well on target, just below the bar. I don´t think I´ve ever seen a player who is so good at putting a moving ball in the top of the net. Love his arial prowess too.. Keep it up!

I remember that I opined in N-O about the Newcastle vs Porstmouth Cup home game. I said that Martins showed lots of promise and his has got the class which Ameobi does not have. He chipped a ball over the bar but only a good striker will do this. I would have no doubt Martins is the right buy.

I remember that immediately after I posted this comments I received quite a lot of ridicules (as usual). Bla bla bla Shearer never chipped a ball bla bla bla

Sadly N-O forum is offline now, else I would love to trace back the posts :lol:

Wouldn't mind people having different opinions, and obviously I am not always correct. When you are laughed at because you post your opinions in a civilised way, I can't help but think that "in your face" reply when you are proven right is the best respond!

Martins has done well for us bu I would like to see he diversify his scoring method. He seems to rely on thunderbolts a fair bit. Better defenders could might easily nullify him by not allowing him anytime on the ball. I also think that Roeder should have kept quiet instead of telling everyone else on TV that Martins is king of missile in everyday training. We are not in a position to tell everyone our secret weapon, are we?

I remember that I opined in N-O about the Newcastle vs Porstmouth Cup home game. I said that Martins showed lots of promise and his has got the class which Ameobi does not have. He chipped a ball over the bar but only a good striker will do this. I would have no doubt Martins is the right buy.

I remember that immediately after I posted this comments I received quite a lot of ridicules (as usual). Bla bla bla Shearer never chipped a ball bla bla bla

Wouldn't mind people having different opinions, and obviously I am not always correct. When you are laughed at because you post your opinions in a civilised way, I can't help but think that "in your face" reply when you are proven right is the best respond!

Martins has done well for us bu I would like to see he diversify his scoring method. He seems to rely on thunderbolts a fair bit. Better defenders could might easily nullify him by not allowing him anytime on the ball. I also think that Roeder should have kept quiet instead of telling everyone else on TV that Martins is king of missile in everyday training. We are not in a position to tell everyone our secret weapon, are we?

Are you suggesting that having opposition defenders trying to tight mark the fastest man on a football match, who is quite technical and a very good finisher will make him ineffective. I think it's excellent that Oba is proving to be a treath from distance as well as a player to look out for in counter attack situations. By now defenders around the Premiership will have sit up and taken notice I would have thought, and I don't think he will be easy to nullify as he can do it all, score with his left, his right, from distance, counter attack or even heading in crosses..

No-one gives a fiddler's fuck what you said before. Sooner N-O is back up the better.

Its only his first season, in what's mostly been a team playing poorly and not to his strengths, yet he's scored goals, set up goals and showed plenty of raw talent.

What needs to be worked on is his movement and running and at times his composure but he has shown more than enough to suggest he has what it takes in terms of ability, and increasingly coping with the style of the premiership.