Martins

Dr Gloom

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Half way into the season: 10 goals. 5 assists.

Those are the kind of stats that the Henrys, the Rooneys, even the Shearers posess at this stage. And this guy is 22, in a new version of the game, in completely new living quarters and a generally totally different situation altogether. He doesn't have the right to have adapted this quickly, let alone do so. It's absolutely superb.

As negative as this may sound when first thought, i cannot wait for next season.

Hyperbole much?

:rolleyes: Aye steady on. 8 league goals by January is nothing particularly special. He's improving a lot, but you've gone WAY ott saying he's been absolutely superb. Don't think he's adapted that quickly anyway, he scored 1 between August and December. Thats 3 months to get going.

Oh shut up, Ally. Had any other poster have said what i said. Any other poster. :rolleyes:

Martins has scored ten goals and has assisted in five, in his circumstances. That's a superb turn-out, absolutely no two ways about it.

And btw... i said "it's" absolutely superb, not "he" is absolutely superb.

Learn to read. :rolleyes:

Anyone could have said it, moody-arse. :mellow:

Ten goals is a decent return imo and i'm pleased with how he's coming on, but he's not scored in enough games for me. The braces he's had have really boosted his total, and i'm not taking them away from him obviously, but he's only scored in 5 games for us. Not being purposely critical, I just think he could have done more and a few outstanding goals have totally overrated his contribution.

I agree, a few spectacular goals have diverted attention from the fact he misses easier chances, and the best strikers score goals close in, not pot shots. Interesting the amount of people on here slating off NO lately, when there are just as many if not more knee-jerk reactions ........

So he's missed a few easier chances, who doesn't? Most of these so called easy chances I've seen him miss are opening he's created himself anyway, as I've said before, he's 22 and nowhere near the finished article.

As for "The best strikers in the World score goals close in" - What a pile of shite! :rolleyes:

The best strikers in the World score a variety of goals, Henry, Rooney, Ronaldo, Eto'o etc all have the ability to score goals from anywhere within 30 yards of goal, that's what makes them so dangerous.

Owen and RVN don't but that's because they're goal poachers who offer very little to the team apart from scoring, I'd take any of the four I've mentioned above over the latter two any day.

the best strikers score goals close in. The best strikers have composure. This is WHY they are the best strikers.

I agree Owen and RVN are goal poachers, but that is a different point completely.

You're trying to compare a £10 million 22 year old with the best strikers on the planet! :rolleyes: If he did have composure in front of goal then there is no way he would have signed for us in the first place, he's a raw but highly talented youngster we need to mould into a World class striker.

Does Rooney or Saha score more goals close in than Martins? What about Henry? Has he scored more goals close in this season than Martins? The majority of his goals he scored for Inter were close up so I don't know what point you're trying to make.

You don't "mould" them. The talent is either there to reach such heights or it isn't.

Are you trying to say that Rooney, Saha and Henry lack composure ?

You appear to be making a knee jerk reaction because he plays for Newcastle and has scored a few spectacular goals. The fact is, the best strikers score the goals close to goal and the best teams create the chances for their strikers to score their goals close to goal.

I am basing my opinion on him on what I see for Newcastle, not Inter. Do you judge Luque on what he did in Spain or what he has done here ?

Martins has a good attitude, great pace, a great shot and is a confident player. He has shown no sign to date of being anything other than a "snatcher" finisher, and has an annoying habit of running into players rather than space, although this can be improved with experience and better players around him.

He has potential and will improve, but how much I don't know. Composure is a mental thing, it isn't something you can work on in training, you either have it or you don't. He's a good lad, he might find it, he might not, but at the moment, it isn't there.

Half way into the season: 10 goals. 5 assists.

Those are the kind of stats that the Henrys, the Rooneys, even the Shearers posess at this stage. And this guy is 22, in a new version of the game, in completely new living quarters and a generally totally different situation altogether. He doesn't have the right to have adapted this quickly, let alone do so. It's absolutely superb.

As negative as this may sound when first thought, i cannot wait for next season.

Hyperbole much?

:( Aye steady on. 8 league goals by January is nothing particularly special. He's improving a lot, but you've gone WAY ott saying he's been absolutely superb. Don't think he's adapted that quickly anyway, he scored 1 between August and December. Thats 3 months to get going.

Oh shut up, Ally. Had any other poster have said what i said. Any other poster. :razz:

Martins has scored ten goals and has assisted in five, in his circumstances. That's a superb turn-out, absolutely no two ways about it.

And btw... i said "it's" absolutely superb, not "he" is absolutely superb.

Learn to read. :D

Anyone could have said it, moody-arse. :razz:

Ten goals is a decent return imo and i'm pleased with how he's coming on, but he's not scored in enough games for me. The braces he's had have really boosted his total, and i'm not taking them away from him obviously, but he's only scored in 5 games for us. Not being purposely critical, I just think he could have done more and a few outstanding goals have totally overrated his contribution.

I agree, a few spectacular goals have diverted attention from the fact he misses easier chances, and the best strikers score goals close in, not pot shots. Interesting the amount of people on here slating off NO lately, when there are just as many if not more knee-jerk reactions ........

So he's missed a few easier chances, who doesn't? Most of these so called easy chances I've seen him miss are opening he's created himself anyway, as I've said before, he's 22 and nowhere near the finished article.

As for "The best strikers in the World score goals close in" - What a pile of shite! :baby:

The best strikers in the World score a variety of goals, Henry, Rooney, Ronaldo, Eto'o etc all have the ability to score goals from anywhere within 30 yards of goal, that's what makes them so dangerous.

Owen and RVN don't but that's because they're goal poachers who offer very little to the team apart from scoring, I'd take any of the four I've mentioned above over the latter two any day.

the best strikers score goals close in. The best strikers have composure. This is WHY they are the best strikers.

I agree Owen and RVN are goal poachers, but that is a different point completely.

You're trying to compare a £10 million 22 year old with the best strikers on the planet! ;) If he did have composure in front of goal then there is no way he would have signed for us in the first place, he's a raw but highly talented youngster we need to mould into a World class striker.

Does Rooney or Saha score more goals close in than Martins? What about Henry? Has he scored more goals close in this season than Martins? The majority of his goals he scored for Inter were close up so I don't know what point you're trying to make.

You don't "mould" them. The talent is either there to reach such heights or it isn't.

Are you trying to say that Rooney, Saha and Henry lack composure ?

You appear to be making a knee jerk reaction because he plays for Newcastle and has scored a few spectacular goals. The fact is, the best strikers score the goals close to goal and the best teams create the chances for their strikers to score their goals close to goal.

I am basing my opinion on him on what I see for Newcastle, not Inter. Do you judge Luque on what he did in Spain or what he has done here ?

Martins has a good attitude, great pace, a great shot and is a confident player. He has shown no sign to date of being anything other than a "snatcher" finisher, and has an annoying habit of running into players rather than space, although this can be improved with experience and better players around him.

He has potential and will improve, but how much I don't know. Composure is a mental thing, it isn't something you can work on in training, you either have it or you don't. He's a good lad, he might find it, he might not, but at the moment, it isn't there.

Saha has very little composure, he's lucky that he plays in such a good team where he can afford to miss 3 or 4 chances for every goal he scores, also Rooney isn't that composed either considering the amount of goals he scores with all the chances he has.

My opinions of Martins are not knee jerk at all, I just have a better knowledge of European football than you, If you search the board you'll see that I actually recommended Martins last season as a player we should sign which suggests I'm not getting excited over a few spectacular goals.

I don't judge Luque on how good he was in Spain and I'm not asking anyone to judge him on how good Martins was at Inter, my point was that the majority of his goals at Inter were scored in the 18 yard box, that is a fact. BTW if you only judge a player on what he's done at Newcastle then why do you still think Duff was a good signing when he's been awful for us?

Luckily for Martins he had a far better team there which created chances for their strikers, I don't recall too many he's missed from close up lately as we're not creating anything for him, after all you can't score if you're not getting the service.

Only time will tell which one of us is right.

You say composure is something a player has and can't be thought. Have a look at these early career stats from Van Nistelrooij. In the 97/98 season he was of the same age as Martins is now. His goals/appearances ratio does not suggest he had great composure when he was that young, still years later he was recognised as one of the best finishers of the game, so much so in fact you could argue that without hsi composure he would still be playing in the Dutch second division..

1993/94 FC Den Bosch Eerste Divisie 2 0

1994/95 FC Den Bosch Eerste Divisie 15 3

1995/96 FC Den Bosch Eerste divisie 21 2

1996/97 FC Den Bosch Eerste Divisie 31 12

1997/98 SC Heerenveen Eredivisie 31 13

Remember Seedorf's goal from a million miles out for some Italian side or other. Unbelievable.

Real Madrid Italian like?

Famous quote from Andreas Möller when asked about moving to a club abroad. "Milan or Madrid, as long as it's Italy." ;)

:baby:

Very similar to...

"I just couldn't settle in Italy. It was like living in a different country" - Ian Rush

and

"I'd love to play for an Italian club one day, like Barcelona" - Mark Draper

Remember Seedorf's goal from a million miles out for some Italian side or other. Unbelievable.

Real Madrid Italian like?

Scored a screamer against Inter or Juve for Meelan that I remember too like. Class goal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fo2ob9N6rPM...ted&search= for Real.

Also scored one against Inter season before last.

Starting to look like a ten million pound player imo, his positional play is a bit ropey at times but theres no doubt he's lethal on the turn with both feet

Aye, his quick feet in the box on a couple of occasions at the weekend was impressive. The turn in the first half followed by an awful shot, and then a turn and shot which Carroll did well to save in the second half. Not sure about £10m, but he certainly looks something a bit different, and he's getting better.

Movement is STILL poor though. In the second half there was an incident where Dyer broke and him and Martins were up against three defenders. Martins just jogged along two yards behind the centre halfs giving Dyer nothing to pass to.

Needs a decent partner to see the best of him I reckon. Still think his movement has bags of room for improvement but he also needs to do the simple thing more when in possession and he needs to hold the ball up better when he gets it with his back to goal (not really his game but he still needs to improve that aspect of his play).

He's a £10M player to me when you consider the following

Carrick - £18M

Luque - £9.5M

Boumsong - £8

Ashley Young - Rising to £9M

Hargeaves - £20M?

in that context, he's worth at least £25m

true value? i'd say around £6-8m

Needs a decent partner to see the best of him I reckon. Still think his movement has bags of room for improvement but he also needs to do the simple thing more when in possession and he needs to hold the ball up better when he gets it with his back to goal (not really his game but he still needs to improve that aspect of his play).

I don't think you can expect to see the best of him until he has a better partner next to him, the pressure is on him as he's our only real goal outlet in the team, Sibierski doesn't get any criticism as nobody expects any better from him, I can't remember the last time he had a decent attempt on goal tbh.

I don't think you can expect to see the best of him until he has a better partner next to him, the pressure is on him as he's our only real goal outlet in the team, Sibierski doesn't get any criticism as nobody expects any better from him, I can't remember the last time he had a decent attempt on goal tbh.

Tbf to Le Sib, he grafts and he has a big of physical presence plus some nice touches/lay-offs. I know where you're coming from though.

Spurs away :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

From nufc.com:

Strikers - head to head - 2006/07:

Obafemi Martins (Newcastle)

29 starts

3 subs

12 goals

(10 in Prem) Craig Bellamy (Liverpool)

24 starts

7 subs

8 goals

(7 in Prem)

Martins reached double figures for the season in the Premiership - and beat Bellamy's best ever league return for Newcastle.

Bellamy NUFC Premiership goals -

by season:

2001/02 9 goals

2002/03 7 goals

2003/04 4 goals

2004/05 7 goals

<_<;);):D:D

From nufc.com:

Strikers - head to head - 2006/07:

Obafemi Martins (Newcastle)

29 starts

3 subs

12 goals

(10 in Prem) Craig Bellamy (Liverpool)

24 starts

7 subs

8 goals

(7 in Prem)

Martins reached double figures for the season in the Premiership - and beat Bellamy's best ever league return for Newcastle.

Bellamy NUFC Premiership goals -

by season:

2001/02 9 goals

2002/03 7 goals

2003/04 4 goals

2004/05 7 goals

<_<;);):D:D

tbf Bellamy makes a lot of space for others to score. He did all Shearer's running for him. But a striker is judged on goals so I'd rather have Martins.

And £10m is looking like a snip imo

I'm with you on that one Luke...

Wait for the pro-Bellamy camp to appear and say that scoring wasn't what Craig Bellamy was all about though <_<

I think another thing which gets overlooked, and i'm surprised the .COM boys didn't mention it, is that the team Bellamy was playing in was considerably better than that which Martins has played in.

Worth £10m?? Lets see what he's like playing alongside a decent co-striker before we say for sure. The more time goes on, the more I think him and Owen could be quite deadly. His heading ability is pretty awesome given his height...

Not only is his heading good, he's built like a brick shithouse so he's still got a lot of physical presence for a short fella. Compare him with Peter Crouch, who despite being freakishly tall is shit in the air, and stick thin so he get's muscled of the ball all the time.

Totally agree....

I think these two can form a decent partnership and if they've got decent guys on the wings in Milner & N'Zogbia (I'd almost forgotten about him <_<) providing good delivery, then we could have a forward line as exciting as the beginning of the 95/96 season...

Martins just keeps improving every game. He's showing he can score goals and goals of every kind as well.

And he is more than matching the physical contest of the premiership which was something everyone was wondering about with him.

Also he has played this season (his first in the prem as a young lad) in a team not playing well and often not playing to his strengths. So he deserves alot of credit and should be absolutely flying nexts eason.

Plus i think he and Owen will be able to play alongside each other with no problem.