Martins

Dr Gloom

I remember that I opined in N-O about the Newcastle vs Porstmouth Cup home game. I said that Martins showed lots of promise and his has got the class which Ameobi does not have. He chipped a ball over the bar but only a good striker will do this. I would have no doubt Martins is the right buy.

I remember that immediately after I posted this comments I received quite a lot of ridicules (as usual). Bla bla bla Shearer never chipped a ball bla bla bla

Sadly N-O forum is offline now, else I would love to trace back the posts :lol:

Wouldn't mind people having different opinions, and obviously I am not always correct. When you are laughed at because you post your opinions in a civilised way, I can't help but think that "in your face" reply when you are proven right is the best respond!

Martins has done well for us bu I would like to see he diversify his scoring method. He seems to rely on thunderbolts a fair bit. Better defenders could might easily nullify him by not allowing him anytime on the ball. I also think that Roeder should have kept quiet instead of telling everyone else on TV that Martins is king of missile in everyday training. We are not in a position to tell everyone our secret weapon, are we?

Are you suggesting that having opposition defenders trying to tight mark the fastest man on a football match, who is quite technical and a very good finisher will make him ineffective. I think it's excellent that Oba is proving to be a treath from distance as well as a player to look out for in counter attack situations. By now defenders around the Premiership will have sit up and taken notice I would have thought, and I don't think he will be easy to nullify as he can do it all, score with his left, his right, from distance, counter attack or even heading in crosses..

Yep, must be a complete nightmare for defenders. Both feet as good as each other, great spring, electric pace and can belt them from distance. Love little Oba :lol:

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stand by what I have said. It is pleasing he is scoring goals and settling down but I still have reservations about his composure, I would be happier with him if he scored clinical goals rather than pot shots, spectacular as they are. As has been said about Mick Quinn in this thread and another one today, if Martins had that composure he would be a top player, and likewise if Quinn had had Martins pace then he would too.

I'm happy for the moment that Roeders judgement seems like it has served us a lot better than the Scottish fuckpig, Martins may yet play a support role when Owen comes back. I like him, bu tAndy Gray made a good comment yesterday when he said he blows hot and cold, but he is young and can become more consistent within games.

Edited by LeazesMag

Half way into the season: 10 goals. 5 assists.

Those are the kind of stats that the Henrys, the Rooneys, even the Shearers posess at this stage. And this guy is 22, in a new version of the game, in completely new living quarters and a generally totally different situation altogether. He doesn't have the right to have adapted this quickly, let alone do so. It's absolutely superb.

As negative as this may sound when first thought, i cannot wait for next season.

I've just had £16 on Martins to finish top scorer in the Premiership at odds of 31/1 on Betfair :lol:

Unbelievable odds IMO.

Nice one. If he keeps scoring (and maybe even keep improving his overall display) I will not begrudging this windfall to you. :lol:

Would you begrudge me a big windfall if I stuck a tenner on Baros? :lol:

I've just had £16 on Martins to finish top scorer in the Premiership at odds of 31/1 on Betfair :lol:

Unbelievable odds IMO.

Nice one. If he keeps scoring (and maybe even keep improving his overall display) I will not begrudging this windfall to you. :lol:

Would you begrudge me a big windfall if I stuck a tenner on Baros? :lol:

Arr, shut up... :lol:

the problem with martins for me is his movement. with all that pace, he could create far more chances for himself if he timed his runs better.

he always seems to be on his heels when the ball is played through, rather than gambling by trying to anticipate where the pass will go. how often do you see him attacking the near post when a cross comes in?

but you can't question his workrate and as long as he keeps scoring 20 yard screamers, i think we'll let him off.

epitomises the unfinished article. watching him on sunday, his positional sense is pretty damn bad. however his raw pace makes him a real difficulty to deal with. needs a proper target man to play off and i think you'd see the best of him. fairly good shot on him as well...

epitomises the unfinished article. watching him on sunday, his positional sense is pretty damn bad. however his raw pace makes him a real difficulty to deal with. needs a proper target man to play off and i think you'd see the best of him. fairly good shot on him as well...

Fairly?!

Guest Patrokles

Those are the kind of stats that the Henrys, the Rooneys, even the Shearers posess at this stage. And this guy is 22, in a new version of the game, in completely new living quarters and a generally totally different situation altogether. He doesn't have the right to have adapted this quickly, let alone do so. It's absolutely superb.

As negative as this may sound when first thought, i cannot wait for next season.

Hyperbole much?

Hyperbole much?

:lol: Aye steady on. 8 league goals by January is nothing particularly special. He's improving a lot, but you've gone WAY ott saying he's been absolutely superb. Don't think he's adapted that quickly anyway, he scored 1 between August and December. Thats 3 months to get going.

if he bags between 15-20 premiership goals, he'll go a long way towards justifying the big transfer fee - especially if his goals help us qualify for europe

£10 million is nothing for a striker these days and as far as I'm concerned he was worth every penny, not just talking about this season but the potential he has for the coming seasons, if we can develop him right then he could become unplayable for the majority of defenses in the league.

His movement isn't great but it has improved since he first arrived and with the right coaching will continue to get better, it'll be interesting to see how he does with a better strike partner as Sibierski isn't really good enough for the starting 11.

If him and Owen can form a partnership similar to the one he has with Dyer then next season should be where we think about closing the gap with the CL teams.

if he bags between 15-20 premiership goals, he'll go a long way towards justifying the big transfer fee - especially if his goals help us qualify for europe

£10 million is nothing for a striker these days and as far as I'm concerned he was worth every penny, not just talking about this season but the potential he has for the coming seasons, if we can develop him right then he could become unplayable for the majority of defenses in the league.

His movement isn't great but it has improved since he first arrived and with the right coaching will continue to get better, it'll be interesting to see how he does with a better strike partner as Sibierski isn't really good enough for the starting 11.

If him and Owen can form a partnership similar to the one he has with Dyer then next season should be where we think about closing the gap with the CL teams.

I totally agree. :lol:

:razz:

I totally agree. :lol:

Excellent!

billandted2.jpg

Hyperbole much?

:lol: Aye steady on. 8 league goals by January is nothing particularly special. He's improving a lot, but you've gone WAY ott saying he's been absolutely superb. Don't think he's adapted that quickly anyway, he scored 1 between August and December. Thats 3 months to get going.

Oh shut up, Ally. Had any other poster have said what i said. Any other poster. :razz:

Martins has scored ten goals and has assisted in five, in his circumstances. That's a superb turn-out, absolutely no two ways about it.

And btw... i said "it's" absolutely superb, not "he" is absolutely superb.

Learn to read. :razz:

Hyperbole much?

:razz: Aye steady on. 8 league goals by January is nothing particularly special. He's improving a lot, but you've gone WAY ott saying he's been absolutely superb. Don't think he's adapted that quickly anyway, he scored 1 between August and December. Thats 3 months to get going.

Oh shut up, Ally. Had any other poster have said what i said. Any other poster. :razz:

Martins has scored ten goals and has assisted in five, in his circumstances. That's a superb turn-out, absolutely no two ways about it.

And btw... i said "it's" absolutely superb, not "he" is absolutely superb.

Learn to read. :razz:

Anyone could have said it, moody-arse. :lol:

Ten goals is a decent return imo and i'm pleased with how he's coming on, but he's not scored in enough games for me. The braces he's had have really boosted his total, and i'm not taking them away from him obviously, but he's only scored in 5 games for us. Not being purposely critical, I just think he could have done more and a few outstanding goals have totally overrated his contribution.

still think we should have bought a defender with the money ? :lol::razz::razz::razz:

still think we should have bought a defender with the money ? :razz::razz::razz::razz:

No, instead of Duff. :lol:

still think we should have bought a defender with the money ? :razz::razz::razz::razz:

No, instead of Duff. :lol:

Don't start him off :razz: