Martins

Dr Gloom

Half way into the season: 10 goals. 5 assists.

Those are the kind of stats that the Henrys, the Rooneys, even the Shearers posess at this stage. And this guy is 22, in a new version of the game, in completely new living quarters and a generally totally different situation altogether. He doesn't have the right to have adapted this quickly, let alone do so. It's absolutely superb.

As negative as this may sound when first thought, i cannot wait for next season.

Hyperbole much?

:razz: Aye steady on. 8 league goals by January is nothing particularly special. He's improving a lot, but you've gone WAY ott saying he's been absolutely superb. Don't think he's adapted that quickly anyway, he scored 1 between August and December. Thats 3 months to get going.

Oh shut up, Ally. Had any other poster have said what i said. Any other poster. :razz:

Martins has scored ten goals and has assisted in five, in his circumstances. That's a superb turn-out, absolutely no two ways about it.

And btw... i said "it's" absolutely superb, not "he" is absolutely superb.

Learn to read. :razz:

Anyone could have said it, moody-arse. :lol:

Ten goals is a decent return imo and i'm pleased with how he's coming on, but he's not scored in enough games for me. The braces he's had have really boosted his total, and i'm not taking them away from him obviously, but he's only scored in 5 games for us. Not being purposely critical, I just think he could have done more and a few outstanding goals have totally overrated his contribution.

I agree, a few spectacular goals have diverted attention from the fact he misses easier chances, and the best strikers score goals close in, not pot shots. Interesting the amount of people on here slating off NO lately, when there are just as many if not more knee-jerk reactions ........

• Replies 305
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Martin's needs a good player alongside him and we'll see him improve even more once Owen is fit. Sibierski is a carthorse and I hope Glenda doesn't think ameobi's anything but a 4th choice at best. Both of these players are a joke for any team that has top six aspirations...or better.

Ally, firstly - apologies for snapping.

You say that his his braces, his goals - they're all goals however many he scores in one game, have overrated his contribution. However - is a striker's main job not to score goals? If we want Obafemi Martins contributing in any particular department, it's in the goalscoring one, especially when you look at the other players clasp that position as their title.

I'll stand by what I said. His attacking contribution, under the relatively difficult circumstances (to be fair), has been absolutely superb.

And to LeazesMag...

I'm N-O through and through anyway mate so... :lol:

Edited by Yorkie-Geordie

Those are the kind of stats that the Henrys, the Rooneys, even the Shearers posess at this stage. And this guy is 22, in a new version of the game, in completely new living quarters and a generally totally different situation altogether. He doesn't have the right to have adapted this quickly, let alone do so. It's absolutely superb.

As negative as this may sound when first thought, i cannot wait for next season.

Hyperbole much?

:razz: Aye steady on. 8 league goals by January is nothing particularly special. He's improving a lot, but you've gone WAY ott saying he's been absolutely superb. Don't think he's adapted that quickly anyway, he scored 1 between August and December. Thats 3 months to get going.

Oh shut up, Ally. Had any other poster have said what i said. Any other poster. :razz:

Martins has scored ten goals and has assisted in five, in his circumstances. That's a superb turn-out, absolutely no two ways about it.

Anyone could have said it, moody-arse. :razz:

Ten goals is a decent return imo and i'm pleased with how he's coming on, but he's not scored in enough games for me. The braces he's had have really boosted his total, and i'm not taking them away from him obviously, but he's only scored in 5 games for us. Not being purposely critical, I just think he could have done more and a few outstanding goals have totally overrated his contribution.

I agree, a few spectacular goals have diverted attention from the fact he misses easier chances, and the best strikers score goals close in, not pot shots. Interesting the amount of people on here slating off NO lately, when there are just as many if not more knee-jerk reactions ........

So he's missed a few easier chances, who doesn't? Most of these so called easy chances I've seen him miss are opening he's created himself anyway, as I've said before, he's 22 and nowhere near the finished article.

As for "The best strikers in the World score goals close in" - What a pile of shite! :lol:

The best strikers in the World score a variety of goals, Henry, Rooney, Ronaldo, Eto'o etc all have the ability to score goals from anywhere within 30 yards of goal, that's what makes them so dangerous.

Owen and RVN don't but that's because they're goal poachers who offer very little to the team apart from scoring, I'd take any of the four I've mentioned above over the latter two any day.

Hyperbole much?

So he's missed a few easier chances, who doesn't? Most of these so called easy chances I've seen him miss are opening he's created himself anyway, as I've said before, he's 22 and nowhere near the finished article.

As for "The best strikers in the World score goals close in" - What a pile of shite! :lol:

The best strikers in the World score a variety of goals, Henry, Rooney, Ronaldo, Eto'o etc all have the ability to score goals from anywhere within 30 yards of goal, that's what makes them so dangerous.

Owen and RVN don't but that's because they're goal poachers who offer very little to the team apart from scoring, I'd take any of the four I've mentioned above over the latter two any day.

the best strikers score goals close in. The best strikers have composure. This is WHY they are the best strikers.

I agree Owen and RVN are goal poachers, but that is a different point completely.

Guest Patrokles

Hyperbole much?

Anyone could have said it, moody-arse. :lol:

Yorkie is from N-O. :razz:

I remember that I opined in N-O about the Newcastle vs Porstmouth Cup home game. I said that Martins showed lots of promise and his has got the class which Ameobi does not have. He chipped a ball over the bar but only a good striker will do this. I would have no doubt Martins is the right buy.

I remember that immediately after I posted this comments I received quite a lot of ridicules (as usual). Bla bla bla Shearer never chipped a ball bla bla bla

Sadly N-O forum is offline now, else I would love to trace back the posts :lol:

Wouldn't mind people having different opinions, and obviously I am not always correct. When you are laughed at because you post your opinions in a civilised way, I can't help but think that "in your face" reply when you are proven right is the best respond!

Martins has done well for us bu I would like to see he diversify his scoring method. He seems to rely on thunderbolts a fair bit. Better defenders could might easily nullify him by not allowing him anytime on the ball. I also think that Roeder should have kept quiet instead of telling everyone else on TV that Martins is king of missile in everyday training. We are not in a position to tell everyone our secret weapon, are we?

Are you suggesting that having opposition defenders trying to tight mark the fastest man on a football match, who is quite technical and a very good finisher will make him ineffective. I think it's excellent that Oba is proving to be a treath from distance as well as a player to look out for in counter attack situations. By now defenders around the Premiership will have sit up and taken notice I would have thought, and I don't think he will be easy to nullify as he can do it all, score with his left, his right, from distance, counter attack or even heading in crosses..

I don't think Martins is quite technical, yet. When I say "technical" I mean as technical as Henry, Anelka, Cantona or even Ronaldo, Robben etc who can evade the tight marking of defenders simply with a bit ghost footing.

For the last goal he scored, I believe if Henry were him he would have somehow left Dawson behind and charge into the box and an attempt. I don't Martins has this ability yet, so obviously I was chuffed to see him unleash that ball with that speed at that angle. But if Ferdinand or Agger were in the place of Dawson then less time and space would have been allowed to Martins and perhaps the ball would be stolen subsequently.

Still, Martins is a good enough striker for us :razz: Can't imagine life without Martins now :razz:

Hyperbole much?

the best strikers score goals close in. The best strikers have composure. This is WHY they are the best strikers.

I agree Owen and RVN are goal poachers, but that is a different point completely.

You're trying to compare a £10 million 22 year old with the best strikers on the planet! :razz: If he did have composure in front of goal then there is no way he would have signed for us in the first place, he's a raw but highly talented youngster we need to mould into a World class striker.

Does Rooney or Saha score more goals close in than Martins? What about Henry? Has he scored more goals close in this season than Martins? The majority of his goals he scored for Inter were close up so I don't know what point you're trying to make.

Guest Patrokles

I remember that I opined in N-O about the Newcastle vs Porstmouth Cup home game. I said that Martins showed lots of promise and his has got the class which Ameobi does not have. He chipped a ball over the bar but only a good striker will do this. I would have no doubt Martins is the right buy.

I remember that immediately after I posted this comments I received quite a lot of ridicules (as usual). Bla bla bla Shearer never chipped a ball bla bla bla

Sadly N-O forum is offline now, else I would love to trace back the posts :lol:

Wouldn't mind people having different opinions, and obviously I am not always correct. When you are laughed at because you post your opinions in a civilised way, I can't help but think that "in your face" reply when you are proven right is the best respond!

Martins has done well for us bu I would like to see he diversify his scoring method. He seems to rely on thunderbolts a fair bit. Better defenders could might easily nullify him by not allowing him anytime on the ball. I also think that Roeder should have kept quiet instead of telling everyone else on TV that Martins is king of missile in everyday training. We are not in a position to tell everyone our secret weapon, are we?

Are you suggesting that having opposition defenders trying to tight mark the fastest man on a football match, who is quite technical and a very good finisher will make him ineffective. I think it's excellent that Oba is proving to be a treath from distance as well as a player to look out for in counter attack situations. By now defenders around the Premiership will have sit up and taken notice I would have thought, and I don't think he will be easy to nullify as he can do it all, score with his left, his right, from distance, counter attack or even heading in crosses..

I don't think Martins is quite technical, yet. When I say "technical" I mean as technical as Henry, Anelka, Cantona or even Ronaldo, Robben etc who can evade the tight marking of defenders simply with a bit ghost footing.

For the last goal he scored, I believe if Henry were him he would have somehow left Dawson behind and charge into the box and an attempt. I don't Martins has this ability yet, so obviously I was chuffed to see him unleash that ball with that speed at that angle. But if Ferdinand or Agger were in the place of Dawson then less time and space would have been allowed to Martins and perhaps the ball would be stolen subsequently.

Still, Martins is a good enough striker for us :razz: Can't imagine life without Martins now :razz:

And a thousand other strikers all over the world would have done something entirely different. I also disagree with the rest of the post.

Well said Leazes. Owen and RvN are very good at what they do. They arent necessarily going to do what Henry does but they contribute the most important thing in football - goals. Martins isnt that type of player at all and I dont think he will be as he lacks the composure of a natural finisher. However, he offers something different.

Alan Shearer (prior to his 1997 injury) was an outstanding footballer and whilst his touch remained outstanding he could cross a ball as well as anyone. He was a team player. Martins has the ability to become a team player but it will take time. Whether Owen and Martins can play together is a different matter. Owen is decent at holding a ball up but our style of play may need to be adjusted - i.e. less booting of the ball upfield.

On the positive side we do have the basis of a decent side. Taylor is looking better but I think he needs an old head next to him - woodgate would have been perfect. We need a fullback or two. Central midfield is pretty much sorted and I would probably keep Dyer in there if Butt is alongside him. Prefer those two to the other combinations. Left side is sorted and whilst many moan about my thoughts on Milner he simply isnt in the class of the players mentioned in this post. Work to be done but tonight the glass is half full!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...17/sfnne217.xml

Hot-shot Martins

By Henry Winter

Last Updated: 1:52am GMT 17/01/2007

Your View: Football fans' forum

In pics: Premiership action

Obafemi Martins' stunning 84 mph goal for Newcastle United at Tottenham on Sunday could be the fastest shot ever recorded in a competitive game, according to the Football Association yesterday.

The Nigerian's left-footed strike made it 2-2 before Newcastle went on to a 3-2 triumph, and may have shot Martins into the record books. "Some players in history have been renowned for the power of their shooting – Charlie 'Cannonball' Fleming for Sunderland in the Fifties, Cliff Holton for Crystal Palace in the Sixties and Peter 'Hotshot' Lorimer for Leeds in the Seventies," stated the FA's historian David Barber on the governing body's website yesterday.

"BBC's Record Breakers programme featured an 87 mph shot by Nicky Summerbee in 1994 that was claimed as the hardest ever. Manchester United tested the power of Scholes, Rooney and Ronaldo with a special measuring gun and they were all around 70 mph. The Brazilian left-back Robert Carlos, whose shooting is legendary, was timed at 72 mph. Martins' effort at the weekend, of course, was done in a match situation and has to be remarkable."

Speaking of Record Breakers - there's some bloke in China or somewhere fighting to get his record ratified and put in the Guinness Book. He's claiming the record for the largest patch of skin torn off through sunburn. :lol: He's being turned down on the basis that he can't prove that it's his skin.

Speaking of Record Breakers - there's some bloke in China or somewhere fighting to get his record ratified and put in the Guinness Book

. He's claiming the record for the largest patch of skin torn off through sunburn. :lol:

He's being turned down on the basis that he can't prove that it's his skin.

:razz:

if he bags between 15-20 premiership goals, he'll go a long way towards justifying the big transfer fee - especially if his goals help us qualify for europe

still think we should have bought a defender with the money ? :lol::razz::razz::razz:

i still we think we should have bought defenders, yes.

Anyone remember that goal by Johnny Methgod (sp?) btw?

Nope. Who?

Dutch player. Big ugly bald geezer. Scored an absoute thunderbolt from about 40 yards about 20 years ago. Playing for Forest iirc. Was a bit of a long-range shot/free-kick specialist.

Anyone remember that goal by Johnny Methgod (sp?) btw?

Nope. Who?

Dutch player. Big ugly bald geezer. Scored an absoute thunderbolt from about 40 yards about 20 years ago. Playing for Forest iirc. Was a bit of a long-range shot/free-kick specialist.

Not sure i remember him :lol:

If there is TV footage of a goal then they should know the speed of the shot as its just time and distance. Cant imagine anyone has been through all goals ever like.

Remember Seedorf's goal from a million miles out for some Italian side or other. Unbelievable.

Real Madrid Italian like?

Scored a screamer against Inter or Juve for Meelan that I remember too like. Class goal.

Remember Seedorf's goal from a million miles out for some Italian side or other. Unbelievable.

Famous quote from Andreas Möller when asked about moving to a club abroad. "Milan or Madrid, as long as it's Italy." :lol:

I don't think goal I'm talking about was scored for Real, peeerple sheeert boy. :lol: