Flock turns on the Shepherd

Craig

Newcastle's long-suffering supporters were in a mutinous mood last night as they called for Freddie Shepherd to resign his post at St James's Park.

The travelling fans directed their discontent towards the club's chairman as their side slumped to a derby defeat at the hands of Middlesbrough that has left them at their lowest ebb.

A significant number of United supporters responded to Aiyegbeni Yakubu's 85th-minute winner by turning on the embattled Shepherd, who looked uncomfortable as he headed for the exit soon after.

It was the first time that the St James's Park supremo had endured such chants since disgruntled fans demanded the removal of the club's board during a Uefa Cup tie with Heerenveen in the Netherlands two seasons ago. On that occasion, Graeme Souness' team came from behind to ensure the revolt was shortlived.

There was no such salvation yesterday, though, as Boro held their lead to subject the Magpies to yet another league defeat that has ensured that the club's second-worse start to a Premiership campaign continued. "It's not good, obviously," said manager Glenn Roeder (pictured right), who insisted his team's 1-0 defeat at the Riverside was an undeserved outcome.

"It has been a case of shooting ourselves in the foot too often this year and we have lost games and lost points that we should not have. The fact of the matter is that we must pick ourselves up off the canvas, stride on forward and start picking up points quickly."

Newcastle have lost six of their nine Premiership fixtures this season and, having collected just one point from the last available 15, have slid to 16th place in the league standings.

Only Sheffield United, Watford, Charlton and West Ham have made worse starts to the campaign than a United team who are just two points above the top-flight drop zone. A charitable Gareth Southgate insisted a draw would have been a fairer result and admitted he would not have complained had Boro been forced to share the points. It was a suggestion Roeder rejected.

"Absolutely not," he said. "It is a game we should undoubtedly have won given our superiority in the first half in particular. We should have won but we didn't take our chances.

"It's always in the back of your mind that it might come back to haunt you and it certainly did in the last few minutes. I thought we were in control in the first half, although I will concede that the second was a bit more even. But I am repeating myself when I say that goals change games. You fear you will get punished for not taking chances and that's what happened. The goal came so late that we didn't have a chance to get back into it."

Boro's victory was only the club's second over United at the Riverside in the Premiership and the home side's manager could not disguise his delight at the final whistle.

"We are always perceived as the underdogs in these games; a smaller club, a lesser club," said Southgate. "We had a point to prove, and I am delighted that we have proved it. The important thing for me is that we have had back-to-back wins.

"The important thing for the fans is very different - I know how much it means and it is great to have given it to them."

Roeder was joined on the Riverside bench for the first time by Nigel Pearson, his new assistant manager who has filled the position vacated by Kevin Bond last month. The 43-year-old former Middlesbrough defender was out of work following his departure from West Bromwich Albion, where he had been Bryan Robson's right-hand man.

"I have been very patient, I didn't rush into anything and I'm glad I didn't now," added Roeder. "Nigel is someone who will help me greatly."

Roeder's players will return action against Portsmouth in the Carling Cup next week. Should their participation in the competition come to an end at the first hurdle, the pressure would become intolerable.

Source: http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcast...-name_page.html

Roeder praising his own patience again.

When all he did was waiting two weeks until to name a second rate man from a first division club...

Bet he wishes the fans had some of his patience, he's history if we get beat next game. Wonder what the odds are

oliver is too much up ff's arse. he thinks he is speaking for the fans, but i think he needs a reality check.... he dosent speak for me or any of the people that sit around me. Will we be in crisis if we get beat on wedsday and saturday?

what will his reaction be then? give roeder more time, thats what west ham did and you saw what happened to them....

if win the next 3 games will that just paper over the cracks?

ps im not the guy that sits in level 7 milburn with 500 empty seats around him :o

when was the last time you ever saw st james not being a sell out?

That interview is pathetic.

"All this talk about 'crisis' and 'Shepherd must go, Roeder must go' is absolutely rubbish. Don't forget, when Roeder took over in February from Souness, the club was heading into the Championship!"

And where exactly does he think we are heading now?

It's a laughable attempt at propaganda tbh.

Dont go to the next home game - OK The Fat Controller has our Season Ticket money , but huge gaps in the crowd will scare him. Possibly enough into selling up if we keep it up.Stop buying the Chronicle and let them know its because anal is a lying shit , when their sales start to drop you know who the editors will drop :o

It took years for Villa to get rid of Ellis, despite fans protesting all the time. Unfortunately I think we'll have to suffer Fatty for a good while yet.

OK new tactic, hide all his pies and starve the bastard! :(

The best thing about that video is at the end when he thinks it's finished and asks "was that alright?". I bet Shepherd's the one holding the camera and feeding him his lines, and that was him asking his master if he'd carried out his bidding adequately. :(

I bet Shepherd's the one holding the camera and feeding him his lines, and that was him asking his master if he'd carried out his bidding adequately. :blush:

rotjleiasslideos7.jpg

tbh

:(:o:blush:

Photoshopped tbh