Alan Pardew

janu

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here comes the backlash:

Match of the Day row as Alan Pardew describes tackle as 'rape'

Football manager Alan Pardew has sparked a slew of complaints to the BBC after he described a Chelsea player as "raping" an opponent on Match of the Day.

By Urmee Khan, Digital and Media Correspondent

Last Updated: 2:57PM GMT 16 Mar 2009

Alan Pardew, the former Charlton Athletic manager, had been invited as a commentator on the BBC football programme Match of the Day 2 on Sunday night when the incident happened.

Pardew, 47, stated that Chelsea. midfielder Michael Essien "absolutely rapes" Manchester City player Ched Evans during a midfield tussle.

"He's timed it perfectly" he said.

"He's a strong boy, he absolutely rapes him" he adds.

Presenters Adrian Chiles and Alan Hansen looked embarrassed and uneasy at the quip.

Pardew's comments came days after black cab rapist John Worboys was convicted for a string of assaults against female passengers and police fear that hundreds of women were targeted by the 51-year-old former stripper.

The bizarre outburst by the football manager has led to 35 complaints, according to the BBC.

A BBC spokeswoman said: "Alan Pardew apologies unconditionally for any offence caused by remarks he made on Match on the Day 2 shown last night".

Football fans have also registered their surprise at the comments on football forums.

"What was the former West Ham manager thinking? Surely he must have had a mental checklist of what not to say whilst on the show, did that list not include avoiding calling any player a rapist? Apparently not! Anyway it was a good display by the west London side who could have won 5-0 frankly" said one fan on thespoiler.com

Fans predict he is unlikely to be asked back on the show.

This is not the first gaffe that the former Premiership manager has made. In 2007, whilst he was manager of West Ham, he was caught on film calling West Ham fans "w***ers" who "should all f*** off". The club employed a media advisor for Pardew to help him win over sceptical fans.

Pardew is currently without a club after being sacked by Charlton Athletic on 22 November 2008.

His comments will be of embarrassment to the BBC, who in recently days have had several gaffes made on screen, including BBC News presenter Chris Eakin comparing fellow newsreader George Alagiah to a chimpanzee live on air and a month after The One Show reporter Carol Thatcher described tennis player as a "golliwog" in the Green Room.

No chance of being on MotD or fivelive again in the current climate. The beeb are still over-reacting from the Ross-Brand debacle.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

I watched it last night, but was only half paying attention so i was sitting there thinking, did he say what i thought he just said! Icouldn't be sure but i did think he'd said that and turns out he had!

Its one of those things i've heard many poeple use in relation to football and indeed other sports, but something that's always going to be innapropriate on tv, though you can guarentee the do-gooders and daily mail crowd will as ever massively overreact and demand he be strung up instead of accepting his apology and moving on.

I hear it used all the time now, has fuck all effect on me tbh but he has fucked up the pc brigade will be onto him now. I mean that quote before saying Pardew was literally calling the player a rapist give over man ffs :lol:

Are we still allowed to say 'they murdered us' or 'the Toon are getting killed in midfield'?

As long as we're not playing Liverpool.

we were robbed?

I don't like the term to be fair, I don't like how it's become an acceptable word. Call me old fashioned like.

If someone says "I could murder a pint!" do you instantly call the police?

Or is rape worse than murder now? :lol:

I hear it used all the time now, has fuck all effect on me tbh but he has fucked up the pc brigade will be onto him now. I mean that quote before saying Pardew was literally calling the player a rapist give over man ffs :lol:
...it might have if you'd been raped though. The "PC brigade" is a media invention btw. There isn't a group of people who all think the same with a little membership card and a badge. People have different views and some are ridiculous (like "personhole cover") and some are absolutely fair (don't throw bananas at black players while making monkey noises).

Are we still allowed to say 'they murdered us' or 'the Toon are getting killed in midfield'?

That's a fair point. I don't like the phrase as it seems like a new thing so it retains its original meaning to me, whereas "murdered" is something that's been in use for as long as I can remember. You're right though.

...it might have if you'd been raped though. The "PC brigade" is a media invention btw. There isn't a group of people who all think the same with a little membership card and a badge. People have different views and some are ridiculous (like "personhole cover") and some are absolutely fair (don't throw bananas at black players while making monkey noises).

That's a fair point. I don't like the phrase as it seems like a new thing so it retains its original meaning to me, whereas "murdered" is something that's been in use for as long as I can remember. You're right though.

there isnt a they either you know but they'll still use it

• 1 year later...

He hasn't been with us long, and the results haven't been the best but what could we expect when he's adopted someone elses squad.

I like the honesty with him, how he comes and tells us what he's thinking. Eg. Twitter posts, am sure CH wouldn't have mentioned it to the press. Also how he feels we need to add some quality to our side in the final third. We've known this for some while and finally it will be dealt with. But I'm most impressed that he recognises that we need more pace. We've lacked it since oba, milner, nzog left. We need pace alongside Carroll and ithink he knows this.

He's tied Taylor down, which pleases me. Also few things out today stating Barfa will be signed next week. If this happens, will def be celebrating at th pub!

CH told us that he didn't feel he needed to improve the squad in Jan, but its obviously we do and Pardew tells us this.

He hasn't been with us long, and the results haven't been the best but what could we expect when he's adopted someone elses squad.

I like the honesty with him, how he comes and tells us what he's thinking. Eg. Twitter posts, am sure CH wouldn't have mentioned it to the press Also how he feels we need to add some quality to our side in the final third. We've known this for some while and finally it will be dealt with. But I'm most impressed that he recognises that we need more pace. We've lacked it since oba, milner, nzog left. We need pace alongside Carroll and ithink he knows this.

He's tied Taylor down, which pleases me. Also few things out today stating Barfa will be signed next week. If this happens, will def be celebrating at th pub!

CH told us that he didn't feel he needed to improve the squad in Jan, but its obviously we do and Pardew tells us this.

Bold 1 - He has adopted someone else's squad but that's a squad which is more than capable of performing.

Bold 2 - Why he felt any need to speak about the twitter carry on to the media is beyond me. You're right CH wouldn't have said anything. That's because he would've told the players and not the media.

Bold 3 - Finally it will be dealt with? How's that like? Just because he recognises he needs pace doesn't mean the funds'll be released for him to recruit anyone.

Bold 4 - Tied Taylor down, aye. He's not actually that great though, is he? On Ben Arfa, the only reason he'll be signing next week is so they can pass him off as a january signing even though it could be left until the end of the season.

I really really dislike Pardew. I think he's an odious little cunt, backed up by nesting players wives and the like. He's shite. Tactically inept. Not engaging for the fans. He'll crash and burn, guaranteed.

When asked last night if the Great Fiery Skyball would return, Alan stated his belief that the sun, as several modern thinkers now call it, would return in the morning.

He was proved right at 7.30 this morning , cementing his credentials as a true visionary.

The man just sees things others don't.

I like the honesty with him, how he comes and tells us what he's thinking. Eg. Twitter posts, am sure CH wouldn't have mentioned it to the press Also how he feels we need to add some quality to our side in the final third. We've known this for some while and finally it will be dealt with. But I'm most impressed that he recognises that we need more pace. We've lacked it since oba, milner, nzog left. We need pace alongside Carroll and ithink he knows this.

Bold 1 - He has adopted someone else's squad but that's a squad which is more than capable of performing.

Bold 2 - Why he felt any need to speak about the twitter carry on to the media is beyond me. You're right CH wouldn't have said anything. That's because he would've told the players and not the media.

Bold 3 - Finally it will be dealt with? How's that like? Just because he recognises he needs pace doesn't mean the funds'll be released for him to recruit anyone.

Bold 4 - Tied Taylor down, aye. He's not actually that great though, is he? On Ben Arfa, the only reason he'll be signing next week is so they can pass him off as a january signing even though it could be left until the end of the season.

I really really dislike Pardew. I think he's an odious little cunt, backed up by nesting players wives and the like. He's shite. Tactically inept. Not engaging for the fans. He'll crash and burn, guaranteed.

I'm sensing some negativity towards the Pards, there, Mac. :icon_lol:

Who? Me? No, never :icon_lol:

He's more my fall guy to be honest, and I'll measure him as being 'more experienced'. Hence, I'd expect to see him change things throughout matches given his far superior knowledge of the game and experience. The board set the yard stick here mate, not me. :icon_lol:

I like the honesty with him, how he comes and tells us what he's thinking. Eg. Twitter posts, am sure CH wouldn't have mentioned it to the press. Also how he feels we need to add some quality to our side in the final third. We've known this for some while and finally it will be dealt with. But I'm most impressed that he recognises that we need more pace. We've lacked it since oba, milner, nzog left. We need pace alongside Carroll and ithink he knows this.

As Im at work I have my webpage dragged over to the left to stop the dodgy avas being seen, I read the first two lines and thought Christmas Tree..... how wrong I was but the username explains it all.

This boards not big enough for the both of us!

Be gone by Noon!

This boards not big enough for the both of us!

Be gone by Noon!

:icon_lol:

Who? Me? No, never :icon_lol:

He's more my fall guy to be honest, and I'll measure him as being 'more experienced'. Hence, I'd expect to see him change things throughout matches given his far superior knowledge of the game and experience. The board set the yard stick here mate, not me. :icon_lol:

I'm expecting nothing from him and hoping to be pleasantly surprised. That's about the best I can say. We're basically fucked under Mike* anyway.

*Never trust any cunt British who calls himself 'Mike'. If you're a Brit and you're name is Michael it just has to be Mick or Mickey if you want it shortened.