Test Match Special

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I must admit, I do like Brett Lee. He plays the game with a smile on his face.

20059[/snapback]

Went to see the one day game at CLS earlier in the summer and he was excellent craic standing on the boundary and having loads of banter with the crowd.

In short blifffffffffffffffffb

Technically Jones has all the skills, he just occasionly drops a clanger. But he is getting more consistent. He's the wicketkeeping equivalent of Titus.

20284[/snapback]

If he can say get his batting average to 35+ and keep it there which he has the talent to do he will be a valuable batsemen and he can keep working and working on his wicketkeeping he's likely to be worth his place.

He'll never be the worlds no.1 keeper, but as long as he reaches and maintains a high enough standard and scores runs he'll be worth his place.

I say keep Jones. He's done the job with the bat a number of occasions. Just look at the one day final for a good example of his skill, particularly in the one day game. Read is an awesome keeper no doubt but putting him in the side, and batting at 7 shows the lack of depth of our batting.

Flintoff at 6 - a great player no doubt but not really a number 6 batsman. He has a few too many flaws, and his confidence and the fact the crowd's always behind him helps him a lot.

Read's never had great spells with the bat for England, with a Test top score of 38. Not good enough for 7 in my opinion, especially compared to Gilchrist

Then the tail is a bit weak, when you compare it to Australia, who have Warne and Lee who can strike the ball as shown. Though I do think Jones is worth a promotion to 9 surely?

I say keep Jones. He's done the job with the bat a number of occasions. Just look at the one day final for a good example of his skill, particularly in the one day game. Read is an awesome keeper no doubt but putting him in the side, and batting at 7 shows the lack of depth of our batting.

Flintoff at 6 - a great player no doubt but not really a number 6 batsman. He has a few too many flaws, and his confidence and the fact the crowd's always behind him helps him a lot.

Read's never had great spells with the bat for England, with a Test top score of 38. Not good enough for 7 in my opinion, especially compared to Gilchrist

Then the tail is a bit weak, when you compare it to Australia, who have Warne and Lee who can strike the ball as shown. Though I do think Jones is worth a promotion to 9 surely?

20381[/snapback]

If you take out Flintoff's early time for England (when he was finding his feet and learning some harsh lessons) his batting average is very impressive for a no.6 batsmen at least, and he is worth his place there even if he couldn't bowl.

But i do agree about Jones, he's a clean striker of the ball and looks capable of getting the odd 30 here and there if given a chance, i'd definitely have him at 9.

They're always rejigging the tail. In South Africa we had Jones at 10 and Harmison at 11. I don't think there is much between the last three, but Hoggard has a better defensive technique. I think the theory is that if we get to seven down but still have Flintoff or Pietersen at the crease then Hoggard would be better at sticking around allowing the recognised batsmen to make runs.

Although I'm sure that both Jones (2nd innings at Edgbaston) and Harmison (against the Saffers at the Oval in 2003) have hung around whilst Freddie filled his boots. Either way there's not much seperating them and Hoggard as batsmen so it doesn't really matter who bats where.

They're always rejigging the tail. In South Africa we had Jones at 10 and Harmison at 11. I don't think there is much between the last three, but Hoggard has a better defensive technique. I think the theory is that if we get to seven down but still have Flintoff or Pietersen at the crease then Hoggard would be better at sticking around allowing the recognised batsmen to make runs.

Although I'm sure that both Jones (2nd innings at Edgbaston) and Harmison (against the Saffers at the Oval in 2003) have hung around whilst Freddie filled his boots. Either way there's not much seperating them and Hoggard as batsmen so it doesn't really matter who bats where.

20397[/snapback]

I know what you mean, Hoggard has shown he can stick about for a while and let a Pieteresen or Flintoff get some runs. I'd just like a look at Jones for a few tests to see if he can get the runs and become a valuable tail end batsman.

We have lost the Ashes :blink:

How good was Brett Lee's 6's yesterday they were huge!!

That LBW decision on Katich was terrible, especially at such a critical stage of the game. Oh well we are in some serious trouble and we will need to win the last test to retain the Ashes.

England need a new keeper. Jones drops a hard chance which could of been taken at 1st slip and then takes the bails off before he got the ball in the latest runout.

Edited by wellsy