Test Match Special

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On camera.

So stupid. Paul Collingwood may be picked for the next Test. A Mackem he may be, but persoanlly I don't want to have Newcastle supporters making a fool of themselves towards him.

21733[/snapback]

Thats it, he's a mackem, so fucking what! He's a cricketer and he would be giving everything for his country, thats all i'd care about.

New cricket supporters are annoying me intensely 

It's not just on this forum either (although if some of you realised how clueless your comments sound then you would hang your head in embarassment).

Women at work telling me how well 'Freddie' played.

Individuals phoning up Talksport/Radio 5 saying they would rather England won 'The Ashes' than win the World Cup in Germany.

First timers paying grossly inflated prices for tickets on Ebay and then posting on BA forums asking where the 'army will be sitting'.

People asking why Ashley Giles is the 'King of Spain' and not realising they've missed the joke.

Loud mouthed buffoons saying that Geraint should be dropped in favour in Read when they wouldn't recognise CR if he kicked them in the bollocks.

ANYONE who says 'Cricket is the new football' - It's NOT - It's the original cricket.

Phone callers on the blower to Nottinghamshire CCC and Surrey CCC asking if they could buy tickets for the next match and being surprised when they find out it was sold-out at Xmas.

The theory that cricket now has mass appeal to the working classes which needs to be encouraged particularly amongst the ethnic minorities - First class cricket will always be elitist and long may that continue.

Viewers who chuckle at Billy Bowdens boundary signals even though it's the ninth time it's been witnessed that day.

Sad bastards picking up England shirts in Asda and saying 'I'm going to get that for my holiday' - Have you no pride in your appearance.

There are many more that could be mentioned but I am consoled by the fact that after September 12th, cricket can return to those who are knowledgeable about the game and have had an interest for more than five minutes.

I am sure the handful of genuine enthusiasts on this site will be in agreement

20890[/snapback]

Spot on.

i dont mind "new cricket fans" as much, just bandwagon jumpers, who i would bet my bottom dollar wont watch any of the test series' this winter

21026[/snapback]

aye i totally agree with that like, haven't been able to play cricket now for the last 3 years which is a shame as really :D

21028[/snapback]

Well i knocked 45 yesterday against blackhall :D, was fuming i didn't make my 50

21084[/snapback]

i used to play for Seaton meself mate

21164[/snapback]

Nice batting track last time i was there, knocked a quickfire 43 IIRC

New cricket supporters are annoying me intensely 

It's not just on this forum either (although if some of you realised how clueless your comments sound then you would hang your head in embarassment).

Women at work telling me how well 'Freddie' played.

Individuals phoning up Talksport/Radio 5 saying they would rather England won 'The Ashes' than win the World Cup in Germany.

First timers paying grossly inflated prices for tickets on Ebay and then posting on BA forums asking where the 'army will be sitting'.

People asking why Ashley Giles is the 'King of Spain' and not realising they've missed the joke.

Loud mouthed buffoons saying that Geraint should be dropped in favour in Read when they wouldn't recognise CR if he kicked them in the bollocks.

ANYONE who says 'Cricket is the new football' - It's NOT - It's the original cricket.

Phone callers on the blower to Nottinghamshire CCC and Surrey CCC asking if they could buy tickets for the next match and being surprised when they find out it was sold-out at Xmas.

The theory that cricket now has mass appeal to the working classes which needs to be encouraged particularly amongst the ethnic minorities - First class cricket will always be elitist and long may that continue.

Viewers who chuckle at Billy Bowdens boundary signals even though it's the ninth time it's been witnessed that day.

Sad bastards picking up England shirts in Asda and saying 'I'm going to get that for my holiday' - Have you no pride in your appearance.

There are many more that could be mentioned but I am consoled by the fact that after September 12th, cricket can return to those who are knowledgeable about the game and have had an interest for more than five minutes.

I am sure the handful of genuine enthusiasts on this site will be in agreement

20890[/snapback]

Spot on.

i dont mind "new cricket fans" as much, just bandwagon jumpers, who i would bet my bottom dollar wont watch any of the test series' this winter

21026[/snapback]

aye i totally agree with that like, haven't been able to play cricket now for the last 3 years which is a shame as really :D

21028[/snapback]

Well i knocked 45 yesterday against blackhall :D, was fuming i didn't make my 50

21084[/snapback]

i used to play for Seaton meself mate

21164[/snapback]

Nice batting track last time i was there, knocked a quickfire 43 IIRC

22116[/snapback]

aye always used to be a very flat track

As much of an achievement it is to beat Australia (and it is massive).  You are only really considered a great team if you go to Australia & India and win.

21630[/snapback]

There is some truth in that, when India beat Australia (in India) a few years ago it was hailed as a great achievement but nobody said they were the best. But then again, the Indian team are absolute cack away from home. We have wins in WI and SA under our belt already, but a win against India in the subcontinent would be one hell of an achievement.

But first thing's first, let's send the kangaroos back home with their tails between their legs.

To be honest though, India are for from the formiddable force they have or should have been. Tendulkar's out, and has been passed his best now, and Dravid's proved not as seemingly impossible to remove as he has been I guess. They have other brilliant players too, like Sehwag, though they're never too consistent. Seam bowling seems to me their weakness. They haven't really had a stanout seamer in the current side.

I've been a handy bowler for my school and the club over the years, with my demonlike height and pace. Handy aggressive lower-order batsman too. Played a Giles/Hoggard-esque knock on Sunday to win us the match. "Cracking shot Kelster!"... ah pleasant memories...

To be honest though, India are for from the formiddable force they have or should have been. Tendulkar's out, and has been passed his best now, and Dravid's proved not as seemingly impossible to remove as he has been I guess. They have other brilliant players too, like Sehwag, though they're never too consistent. Seam bowling seems to me their weakness. They haven't really had a stanout seamer in the current side.

23325[/snapback]

:stars: Have they ever? Heard that Pathan is supposed to be pretty useful.

23325[/snapback]

:stars: Have they ever? Heard that Pathan is supposed to be pretty useful.

23443[/snapback]

True true actually. Pathan is meant to be good yeah, takes wickets and gets runs down the order. Regarded as an all-rounder by many I hear.

SIMON JONES will be placed in a sealed hyperbaric oxygen chamber at different times over the next few days in an attempt to get him fit for the decisive Ashes Test at the Oval next week. If his injured right ankle recovers, it would enable the selectors to name an unchanged team for all five Tests for the only time since 1885 and enhance England’s chances of winning a series against Australia for the first time since Gladstone Small caught Merv Hughes off Phil Edmonds on December 28, 1986.

The ECB’s chief medical officer, Dr Peter Gregory, describes the treatment device as a “sealed pressure container” of the type used by divers who have surfaced too quickly. It will be used to force oxygen into the fast bowler’s body in order to hasten his recovery from damage to the soft tissue at the front of his right ankle. It is a method now commonly used on football and rugby players, including the England football captain, David Beckham, when he broke a bone in a foot and required especially quick healing to get him fit for the 2002 World Cup finals.

Andrew Flintoff had a successful operation after England’s Test series in South Africa earlier this year for a longstanding “posterior” ankle impingement. Jones’s damage is “anterior” and much more recent, so there is no talk of surgery at this stage but the pain factor is no doubt much the same, caused by bone rubbing on bone. Few are as impervious to pain as Flintoff.

Officially there was some pessimism expressed yesterday by the England coach, Duncan Fletcher, about the muscular Welshman’s chances of being fully fit to take his part in an England fast attack that he has balanced so effectively by swinging both the old and new balls at a sharp pace. “I can’t know at this stage whether he will be fit,” Fletcher said. “But I’m not confident that he will play. He will be a big loss because he seems to have one over on their batsmen.”

Sounds a bit mental.

I'd be worried about Jones, theres a good chance he won't make it or worse they'll go with him and he breaks down leaving us short a bowler and batting with one man less.

I hope he makes it as he was bowlign brilliantly and always makes something happen when he comes into the attack, and looking like he can chip in with a few quick runs at the end of an innings.

Also i'd love to see the same team start and finish the whole series and win it.

Just seen that Shane Watson has been piling the runs on in the county circuit.

If Australia do shuffle their batting line up it's possible that they could bring in him, Symonds or Hussey.

Edited by Sima

If I was Australian... I would bring in Watson, as he gives an additional bowling option, seeing as they only have 4 bowlers.

Don't rate Tremlett too highly tbh. He doesn't strike me as someone who can bowl consistantly enough.

Watson and Symonds are perfecty good enough. Symonds was more effective earlier on in the summer though.

Thing is Australia need to attack and bringing in an all-rounder would smack of defence.

Edited by Sima