Best Goal You've Ever Seen At St. James' Park?

Tooj

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 years later...
<scans memory for details>

As Ive said before my footballing memory is shite so the details are so hazy! but my fave would be the one back in the good old days where *insert name of opposition here* had a penalty at the Leazes (I was in the Gallowgate at the time) Super Kev Carr saved it and rolled it out to *name of player 1* who passed to Waddle (i think) legs it up pitch, passes to Beardsley, legs it some more, maybe Keegan had a touch or so and then *I think* Beardo scored...or was it Waddle? come to think of it it may have been Keegan but I think it was Pedro.

That was was against Carlisle. We won 4-2.

I'll tell you what goal was absolutely class, although I wasn't at the game. Paul Bracewell's on the opening day of the 92/93 season. Think it was against Southend.

David Kelly V Pompey. Passed from pillar to post, ended up 2 rows and an enitire section from where I sat. I still have the bruises.

Yep thats the one for me. He knobbed one in a few weeks earlier that was pretty important. Dont see many goals knobbed in by the likes of Bergkamp or Henry do you???

Best goal I saw was Gazzas against Chelsea. I was sat in the makeshift seats in the Leazes for some reason that day.

I've never seen that goal repeated on TV,video or dvd (if anyone has a copy PM me!!) but it is without doubt one of the best I've ever seen.Jackie Milburn was at the time the judge of something called "Barclays Young Eagle of the Month" for the NE and he said much the the same in the match programme the following home game.

also as mentioned by others:

Gazza v Palace in the cup

McGee v Bradford

Ginola v Ferencvaros

and one by Pedro in his second spell at SJP.........a volley from the right hand side of the area in a night game..........can't remember who we were playing?...........

That wasn't v QPR was it? The Beardo one. Also, apart from Ginola's against Ferencvaros, which was pure class, I remember Beardsley looking like he was going to cross from wide right then smacking it into the top right-hand corner of the goal off the outside of the foot. He scored a very similar goal prior to that for England circa '94/'95. I think the Newcastle one was against Coventry.

Also, who was the goal against when (in his first spell here) he beat about three players who were diving in on the goal line (he kept dragging the ball back when he probably could have scored first time anyway). Might've been against Rotherham. Brilliant.

Best one has to be either Shearer's against Everton, I think the frustration plus the audacity of the attempt made it so special. We'd been 1-0 down and battering them for fucking ages, then up pops Shearer fully 30 yards out. I swear if it was anyone else I'd have been going ballistic that he'd shot from that range, when we had a three on three, but I had faith that he'd at least work the 'keeper. Icing on the cake was Bellamy's winner because he'd been pretty poor in front of goal for a couple of games. The relief was tangible.

Either that one or Robert's 2nd against Spurs in 2003, where he took a Speed (?) pass on his chest, then shoots from 40 odd yards out. It was weird it was such a nothing game and yet we won 4-0 and scored two outstanding goals and capitalised on some god awful defending as well.

Any chance of a compilation with these goals in Jonny... howay, it's not like you've anything better to do with your time, mo-growing will happen whether you're busy or not.

That wasn't v QPR was it? The Beardo one. Also, apart from Ginola's against Ferencvaros, which was pure class, I remember Beardsley looking like he was going to cross from wide right then smacking it into the top right-hand corner of the goal off the outside of the foot. He scored a very similar goal prior to that for England circa '94/'95. I think the Newcastle one was against Coventry.

Also, who was the goal against when (in his first spell here) he beat about three players who were diving in on the goal line (he kept dragging the ball back when he probably could have scored first time anyway). Might've been against Rotherham. Brilliant.

Pompey away. :lol:

2 minutes in. Quite simply the best I've seen in the shirt. :lol:

Best one has to be either Shearer's against Everton, I think the frustration plus the audacity of the attempt made it so special. We'd been 1-0 down and battering them for fucking ages, then up pops Shearer fully 30 yards out. I swear if it was anyone else I'd have been going ballistic that he'd shot from that range, when we had a three on three, but I had faith that he'd at least work the 'keeper. Icing on the cake was Bellamy's winner because he'd been pretty poor in front of goal for a couple of games. The relief was tangible.

Either that one or Robert's 2nd against Spurs in 2003, where he took a Speed (?) pass on his chest, then shoots from 40 odd yards out. It was weird it was such a nothing game and yet we won 4-0 and scored two outstanding goals and capitalised on some god awful defending as well.

Any chance of a compilation with these goals in Jonny... howay, it's not like you've anything better to do with your time, mo-growing will happen whether you're busy or not.

I'm a busy man these days chap.

bah :lol:

many years ago we played Swindon at home - their left back got the ball on his own line, ran the length of the pitch - mazy dribbling, a couple of one-two's, at least one nutmeg and ran it round our keeper in front of the Leazes End and side footed it home

To be fair the whole ground cheered him - one moment of genius in a career of total mediocrity probably

Bollocks.

Bollocks.

:lol: