Roeder faces striker headache

Scottish Mag

Newcastle United go to Serie A title-chasers Palermo on Wednesday with a striker crisis after £10m summer signing Obafemi Martins joined their growing injury list.

The Nigerian has a tight hamstring after playing on a hazardous St James's Park pitch against Portsmouth on Wednesday, meaning all United's senior strikers are out of or doubtful for the Uefa Cup trip to Sicilly.

Giuseppe Rossi, impressive in his first two Newcastle starts last week, is ineligible under the terms of his loan from Manchester United. Antoine Sibierski - with Martins, the Magpies' joint top-scorer in the competition - has a bruised toe and Shola Ameobi's hip problem continues.

Kieron Dyer could have deputised had he not suffered a training ground injury to his left eye last week, while Albert Luque is an alternative but since the arrival of Sibierski and Rossi it is an option Glenn Roeder has only used in two substitute appearances.

Damien Duff partnered Rossi in the 0-0 draw with Charlton Athletic and seems certain to play up front, possibly alone. "Oba (Martins) won't travel," Roeder said with the former Inter Milan striker out for a fortnight. "I would be foolish to say any others because their manager would not want to tell us who they have available."

Of Ameobi's problem, which has prevented him starting any of the previous four games, Roeder added: "Shola is not in a position to play every week. The hip injury is deteriorating and he needs an operation.

"It would be negligent of me not to assess his injury and put his career at risk. If we have to take the hit (of an operation) and he is not available for a long time, so be it. We are getting him ready to play as soon as possible but if I feel in the next game he plays he is putting his long-term health at risk he will have to have the operation."

With the Magpies still in the League Cup, Roeder is reluctant to rotate his squad.

"I want to put out the strongest team we can for whatever competition we are playing in," he said. "But when you are playing every few days and picking up knocks, players are not having enough recovery time."

Newcastle United go to Serie A title-chasers Palermo on Wednesday with a striker crisis after £10m summer signing Obafemi Martins joined their growing injury list.

The Nigerian has a tight hamstring after playing on a hazardous St James's Park pitch against Portsmouth on Wednesday, meaning all United's senior strikers are out of or doubtful for the Uefa Cup trip to Sicilly.

Giuseppe Rossi, impressive in his first two Newcastle starts last week, is ineligible under the terms of his loan from Manchester United. Antoine Sibierski - with Martins, the Magpies' joint top-scorer in the competition - has a bruised toe and Shola Ameobi's hip problem continues.

Kieron Dyer could have deputised had he not suffered a training ground injury to his left eye last week, while Albert Luque is an alternative but since the arrival of Sibierski and Rossi it is an option Glenn Roeder has only used in two substitute appearances.

Damien Duff partnered Rossi in the 0-0 draw with Charlton Athletic and seems certain to play up front, possibly alone. "Oba (Martins) won't travel," Roeder said with the former Inter Milan striker out for a fortnight. "I would be foolish to say any others because their manager would not want to tell us who they have available."

Of Ameobi's problem, which has prevented him starting any of the previous four games, Roeder added: "Shola is not in a position to play every week. The hip injury is deteriorating and he needs an operation.

"It would be negligent of me not to assess his injury and put his career at risk. If we have to take the hit (of an operation) and he is not available for a long time, so be it. We are getting him ready to play as soon as possible but if I feel in the next game he plays he is putting his long-term health at risk he will have to have the operation."

With the Magpies still in the League Cup, Roeder is reluctant to rotate his squad.

"I want to put out the strongest team we can for whatever competition we are playing in," he said. "But when you are playing every few days and picking up knocks, players are not having enough recovery time."

a bruised toe? ahh diddums :lol:

If Sherla does indeed go for an operation and is out for a while, then the shit will surely hit the fan. The decision not to have had the operation in the summer will have been a mistake of gargantuan proportions.

Oh, has anything been said if Rossi is going to prolong his agony, I mean stay, here after January??

Damien Duff partnered Rossi in the 0-0 draw with Charlton Athletic and seems certain to play up front, possibly alone.
I suppose he could add N'Zogbia and Milner to make a front three, and Luque could be cover for the bench if he impresses in training. Edited by TheInspiration

Shola will be out for the season once he's had his op according to quotes from Roeder on NUFC.com.

"It's a fair bet that Michael Owen will not play again this season and neither will Shola Ameobi once he has an operation on his hip in the next couple of weeks."

Of course, when Luque does play, the general consensus is that he's shite.

And whats the difference between him, Shola, Bumble, Carr and frankly Martins?

All have done nothing of late to prove themselves as being worthy however Luque hasnt even had the chance to prove it. You dont see Roeder saying "Stevey you are shite so Im dropping you and putting Duff in your position".

Luque scored two corkers against Liverpool reserves now I dont care what anyone says about it being a reserve game, Id happily take Pool reserves in place of most our 1st team at the minute. That in itself meant he should be given a chance.

Roeder is a cock, simple as, hes on record as saying we have no strikers for Thursday and I might have to play Duff up front on his own!" the bloke is a fucking retard.

I assume that if he's playing for the reserves, it's unlikely he'll travel to Italy?

If he was likely to play he wouldn't be risked in my opinion.

I assume that if he's playing for the reserves, it's unlikely he'll travel to Italy?

If he was likely to play he wouldn't be risked in my opinion.

Yeah that's what I thought, though he can't seriously not at least take him with the squad.

Guest Patrokles

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see Luque given a chance, but what I do think is that there's a danger that some people have built him up in their minds to be our saviour now (not necessarily anyone here, I'm just making an observation), and it's just going to be doubly disappointing.

I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see Luque given a chance, but what I do think is that there's a danger that some people have built him up in their minds to be our saviour now (not necessarily anyone here, I'm just making an observation), and it's just going to be doubly disappointing.

For the most part I doubt that, and it's more that logic should tell us he should get a chance, because regardless of his ideal position, he is more of a striker than Duff any day.

I believe his La Liga position was left attack in 4-4-3, or support striker.

For the most part I doubt that, and it's more that logic should tell us he should get a chance, because regardless of his ideal position, he is more of a striker than Duff any day.

I believe his La Liga position was left attack in 4-4-3, or support striker.

No wonder Luque looked better, he was playing in a team of 12 men.

Edited by Sima

Where is your eternal optimism gone?

Welcome to the dark side of looking at things!