Souness rules out Owen loan deal

Scottish Mag

Graeme Souness has insisted Newcastle are only interested in signing Real Madrid striker Michael Owen on a permanent basis and not on loan.

Newcastle have had a club-record offer, thought to be £17m, accepted by Real, but Owen suggested a loan might happen.

Souness said: "As I understand it, the loan is not an option, not a chance. Not when we've made a whacking great offer for him that's been accepted.

"He is contracted to Real Madrid and it is not his decision."

Souness added: "No player can make that decision.

"If Real have accepted our offer and they are happy with that then it is now up to us to make the deal attractive for Michael.

"I am guessing that because Real have spent a lot of money on Robinho and Julio Baptista, then like any club they would want to recoup some of their money for a player who might not be involved too much this season.

"All I can tell you is we have made a club-record offer that has been accepted by Real Madrid.

"It is now up the player and his advisers as to whether he says yes or no.

"I am a confident sort of person and I am hopeful Michael will join us.

"He knows what we are about. He knows some of the players at our club and I'm sure he will be speaking to them to find out what we can offer him.

"That's common sense as far as I see it."

BBC Sport understands Liverpool will not pay more than the £8m Real splashed out to land Owen last summer.

And he would have to take a pay cut to persuade Liverpool to pursue a deal.

Liverpool manager Rafael Benitez has been coy on the possibility of signing a player he agreed to sell last summer, insisting his priority is a central defender and a right-sided midfield player.

But he is interested, and BBC Sport believes Liverpool may finally show their hand after Friday's Super Cup Final in Monaco against CSKA Moscow.

Its our only hope of getting him? The guys fucking dafter than i first thought...

That is mindboggling.

I had our logic worked out on the fact we knew we could nail him on a loan.

It's not time to be picky about contract duration, if he puts his name on any kind of contract we should be doing backflips through hoops.

And Real would happily help another side vying for the CL?

They got burnt with Morientes, they won't do it again.

17743[/snapback]

As opposed to dealing with the club that sold them a crock of a defender for 13M?

And Real would happily help another side vying for the CL?

They got burnt with Morientes, they won't do it again.

17743[/snapback]

As opposed to dealing with the club that sold them a crock of a defender for 13M?

17751[/snapback]

They gave him a medical :D

"Caveat emptor" (buyer beware)

So the move to Liverpool doesn't materialise and Michael Owen offers to come to Newcastle on loan........and the management are going to turn him down..? :D

That's as fucking ludicrous as the people who said they'd be devastated about him joining the club - he's a proven goalscorer FFS and precisely what we need - whether he comes on loan or permanently, Owen has the potential to get us out of a shitty mess this season......

Graeme, have a fucking word with yourself will you!

Aye, I saw this earlier this morning and it is rank stupidity from Souness.

17778[/snapback]

I'm not sure he has a choice....

What would Real Madrid get out of a loan deal? I can't see that being attractive to them at all.

17780[/snapback]

Someone else paying the wages of a player that they don't want?

17778[/snapback]

What would Real Madrid get out of a loan deal? I can't see that being attractive to them at all.

17780[/snapback]

17784[/snapback]

And not getting £18m?

17778[/snapback]

17780[/snapback]

17784[/snapback]

And not getting £18m?

17786[/snapback]

Ok, if Liverpool do not come in for Owen, bearing in mind that Real cannot force Owen to sign a permanent deal with us, what's their next best option? It's the one that Souness is ruling out.

No, but he has to look like the bid is serious.

Maybe (and unfortunately I don't have a mate down the pub who waters FFS pot plants) it's to try and boost poor Owen's ego so he feels like a big player and still ends up here on loan or otherwise?

17795[/snapback]

Michael Owen is not a player in need of an ego boost, and if he is I hardly think a move to Newcastle United could be considered one.

Get ready for tomorrow's thread:

"Owen Rules Out Souness Deal"

17825[/snapback]

Or possibly the headline of the back page of the Chronic.

I think this is possibly the best plan. If we have offered £18m then liverpool will not be buying him. Think about it, what were our chances of loaning him? Liverpool would have jumped in with a loan move straight afterwards and he would of went to them. Souness has said REAL will not do a loan move now there is money on the table, this will make Owen & Liverpool realise a permanent deal is his only option, although i bet if Owen did refuse to come permanently then we would do all we can to loan him still.

Simple - he signs, but there is a clause that if there is no UEFA or CL in 2006-2007 at SJP we'll offer him at £ 18 million to the first bidder ...........................