Luq who's back for Toon

Scottish Mag

cos if a player doesnt run around and chase down balls like the Lion from Gosforth then he's lazy

Don't see why all players can't do that anyway, unless their legs have gone.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

cos if a player doesnt run around and chase down balls like the Lion from Gosforth then he's lazy

That's total bollocks tbh.

no its not.. not total

It is like. You're making out that unless you're a grafter, you can't be successful at Newcastle. Which is bullshit. The issue here is a player that isn't performing AND won't graft. That's why no fucker likes Luque, not because he won't chase balls down.

Not at all. Parker's ran about like a headless chicken for a good year and a half now and he's Captain Fantastic.

Not at all. Parker's ran about like a headless chicken for a good year and a half now and he's Captain Fantastic.

Yeah, that's right. He's run around like a headless chicken. He hasn't once turned in a decent performance has he? Or been one of our most reliable performers?

Yeah, that's right. He's run around like a headless chicken. He hasn't once turned in a decent performance has he? Or been one of our most reliable performers?

If you class a decent performance as getting the ball, running a few yards and then putting said ball into the stand then yes, he's class. :mellow:

Edited by Ted Maul

How come Robert, Ginola and Asprilla have all been popular at one time or another then?

no its not.. not total

It is like. You're making out that unless you're a grafter, you can't be successful at Newcastle. Which is bullshit. The issue here is a player that isn't performing AND won't graft. That's why no fucker likes Luque, not because he won't chase balls down.

no Im not. If you're not a grafter though, and some players arent, you're instantly dubbed lazy, especially if your foreign. At 28 I can appreciate that Luque is used to a certain type of football and unlike so say Fabregas is set in his ways and unlikely to change. That doesnt particularly bother me, its the fact he hasnt really produced anything that does ... and Im not trying to make any excuses for him before you start doing a Leazes.

How come Robert, Ginola and Asprilla have all been popular at one time or another then?

Exactly. The point is that if you show the fans you're a good player, you'll get applauded for it. If you THEN become a lazy fucker people will make excuses for it for a while because they know what you can do.

If you just turn up, look shit and combine that with laziness, no one will have any time for you. And nor should they.

They might've been popular at some time but they all got labelled as lazy foriegners in the end.

and all have been called lazy foreigners at some point too :mellow:

Exactly. The point is that if you show the fans you're a good player, you'll get applauded for it. If you THEN become a lazy fucker people will make excuses for it for a while because they know what you can do.

If you just turn up, look shit and combine that with laziness, no one will have any time for you. And nor should they.

So is the fact people still tolerate Shola because he's always been shit and lazy and never once showed us he's a good player?

Guest Patrokles

I'm unsure why it hasn't occured to some that the reason Luque hasn't been playing in league matches is because whenever he's played in the Premiership he's looked really not cut out to be doing so, not because Roeder is a cunt.

Same with nearly every other foreigner we get though isn't it? Luque, Robert, Kluivert, Viana...even fucking Emre's been getting a hard time of late. Are they all just lazy mercenaries who are here to pick up their wages or are Newcastle the ones doing something wrong? How come the likes of Arsenal hardly ever get their fingers burnt when they shop abroad, make much riskier investments in younger players and come out looking the bee knees whereas we sign a big name and come out looking like Grade A cunts?

I agree that Emre doesn't deserve stick. :mellow:

Having said that, our English players get as much, if not more, stick. Bramble? Ramage? Parker gets stick, even. Ameobi? etc. It's not just the foreign players- it's ALL of the players.

no its not.. not total

no Im not. If you're not a grafter though, and some players arent, you're instantly dubbed lazy, especially if your foreign. At 28 I can appreciate that Luque is used to a certain type of football and unlike so say Fabregas is set in his ways and unlikely to change. That doesnt particularly bother me, its the fact he hasnt really produced anything that does ... and Im not trying to make any excuses for him before you start doing a Leazes.

Sorry? Before I start doing a Leazes?

If you look lazy, people will dub you lazy. If you look shit, people will dub you shit. Luque has looked both lazy and shit.

As for grafters vs non-grafters, I don't see why anyone should put up with players that don't graft tbh. Look at the top teams in this country - packed with foreigners, but they all graft hard for one another. Combine that with their talents and you win trophies. At Newcastle we don't have anything like the talent in the team, so not putting the graft in to compensate for that is pretty much unforgivable IMO. I don't see that as a fault of the fans though, I see it as a fault of the player in question.

So is the fact people still tolerate Shola because he's always been shit and lazy and never once showed us he's a good player?

Shola probably gets more stick from the crowd than any other player.

Does Shola not get stick like?

I'm unsure why it hasn't occured to some that the reason Luque hasn't been playing in league matches is because whenever he's played in the Premiership he's looked really not cut out to be doing so, not because Roeder is a cunt.

Same with nearly every other foreigner we get though isn't it? Luque, Robert, Kluivert, Viana...even fucking Emre's been getting a hard time of late. Are they all just lazy mercenaries who are here to pick up their wages or are Newcastle the ones doing something wrong? How come the likes of Arsenal hardly ever get their fingers burnt when they shop abroad, make much riskier investments in younger players and come out looking the bee knees whereas we sign a big name and come out looking like Grade A cunts?

Having said that, our English players get as much, if not more, stick. Bramble? Ramage? Parker gets stick, even. Ameobi? etc. It's not just the foreign players- it's ALL of the players.

The English players are just shit though, it has fuck all to do with the effort they put in?

The major problem I have is that no one asks why we suffer more than anyone else at the hands of lethargic Europeans? I've heard rumours that our policy for helping foriegners settle in once we sign them is awful compared to Liverpool/Arsenal etc. As far as I know they walk into training on their first day, the manager looks them up and down and goes "You're Spanish/French/Portuguese eh? Go and talk to Nobby, he's from Peru.....pretty much the same thing." Atleast that's what I heard about Viana.

Shola probably gets more stick from the crowd than any other player.

Bramble tbh.

I don't doubt that there are issues with integrating foreigners, and I know from personal experience that the effort an employer puts in to welcome you when you move abroad makes a HUGE difference to how you settle in. Some responsibility lies with the individual though. And whatever the welcoming committee is like, none of it accounts for a total absence of effort on a matchday.

Guest Patrokles

The English players are just shit though, it has fuck all to do with the effort they put in?

The major problem I have is that no one asks why we suffer more than anyone else at the hands of lethargic Europeans? I've heard rumours that our policy for helping foriegners settle in once we sign them is awful compared to Liverpool/Arsenal etc. As far as I know they walk into training on their first day, the manager looks them up and down and goes "You're Spanish/French/Portuguese eh? Go and talk to Nobby, he's from Peru.....pretty much the same thing." Atleast that's what I heard about Viana.

Although I agree to extent, Viana was a Robson purchase, and you'd imagine Bobby would have known a thing or two about all that. I think you have to look at geographical/social considerations, really. I would imagine it's a hundred times easier for a young foreign footballer to settle in London than Newcastle, especially one from warmer climes. Liverpool and Manchester United obviously are alike in that respect, but they are also clubs with world-class squads who buy potentially world-class young players and ease them in.

Our young English prospects have suffered the same as our young foreign ones. As to our older foreign imports, the majority who have played well were all crowd favourites, until they genuinely DID get lazy and shit. I think there have been more foreigners adored here in recent years than Englishmen, Shearer excepted.

You've probably got a point about helping players settle in (or not). It certainly wouldn't surprise me as we seem to be an unprofessional club in so many other ways. I disagree about the fans, in general picking out certain players for certain types of criticism purely because they are foreign though.

Guest Patrokles

There's also the fact that our foreign signings have generally come with high price tags and high pressure, which also doesn't help much, and will cause disillusionment more quickly; ie, Sibierski was peanuts and people have been pleasantly surprised. Martins was £10 million and hasn't always looked it. If Sib had been £10 million, and Martins free, everyone would be disappointed with the former and happy w/ the latter.