Hansen: Toon must accept times have changed

Jimbo

Nobody in the Premier League will want to see a club the size of Newcastle United relegated. However, the rules of engagement are crystal-clear and the simple fact is that no club are too big to be relegated and, at the moment, Newcastle are in a sorry state of affairs.

Anybody who thinks it simply won't happen to Newcastle only need to look at Leeds and Sunderland to realise that they are going to have to be careful. They have had a horrific start to the season, they are conceding more than they are scoring and only goal difference is keeping them off the foot of the Premiership table.

Newcastle are a massive club, they have a terrific stadium and the whole set-up should be geared for the big time. Some of the clubs who have come into the Premiership are struggling to fill their grounds, but you never see empty seats at Newcastle and that's why the Premiership needs them in the top flight.

If they are ever to bring success to the club, though, Newcastle need a change of philosophy and that is something that the supporters are going to have to accept. What they have to decide is whether they want to win trophies or if they would rather try and win 5-4 every week. I don't think they want to change.

Whether it be Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho, they will tell you that you have to get the foundation right before you do anything else. Some of the managers that Newcastle have had since Kevin Keegan have tried to implement that, but Newcastle fans don't want their team to play like Chelsea. They want a team that says: "If you score four, we'll score five."

advertisement

From Jackie Milburn through to Alan Shearer, they have always wanted a great No 9, but how many great central defensive partnerships can you think of at Newcastle? The last defender of any merit who they had was Jonathan Woodgate – and they sold him. The problem they have now is that not only do they need a No 4, No 5 and No 6, they still need another No 9 because Shearer is no longer there and they have had terrible luck with Michael Owen's injury.

Despite what he may be saying, Glenn Roeder is under real pressure as manager. Every manager in the bottom six is under pressure and Glenn is no different, especially when you consider that Newcastle have had six managers in 10 years. That is far too many and it says it all about the situation they are in.

As a chairman, Freddy Shepherd is two things. Firstly, he has proved beyond any doubt that he is no-nonsense when it comes to sacking managers, but those managers have also been given a hell of a lot of money to spend by him, so you cannot say that he hasn't backed them in the transfer market.

To his credit, he gave Graeme Souness an awful lot of money to buy Owen, and there have been countless others who have been brought in for big transfer fees. Albert Luque and Obafemi Martins were other big-money centre-forwards, but despite all the money that has been spent they haven't signed many good centre-halves. That just sums up Newcastle and the philosophy of the club.

What happened under Kevin Keegan was once-in-a-lifetime stuff, though, and if the team who lost a 12-point lead in 1995-96 were playing in this season's Premiership, they wouldn't even finish in the top four because the game has moved on.

The issue now for Newcastle is getting out of the mess they are in, and you often find that it tends to get worse before it gets better. When you look at the way they played against Sheffield United on Saturday, you would have to say that they are in big, big trouble.

Having played in Palermo in the Uefa Cup on Thursday night, they could have moved the game back to Sunday, but they decided to take the television money, despite the fact that Sheffield United hadn't played for a week. In my opinion, if it was a choice between three points and the TV money, the points are 100 times more important, but that was Newcastle's decision.

If I were a betting man, I would still back them to stay up because they will probably just go out and buy another No 9 from somewhere, but if things continue as they are they will face major problems.

Just read this over on N-O and posted the same:

Why the fuck do they come with the same tired fucking clichés every time?

Alan Hansen:

If they are ever to bring success to the club, though, Newcastle need a change of philosophy and that is something that the supporters are going to have to accept. What they have to decide is whether they want to win trophies or if they would rather try and win 5-4 every week. I don't think they want to change.

Whether it be Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho, they will tell you that you have to get the foundation right before you do anything else. Some of the managers that Newcastle have had since Kevin Keegan have tried to implement that, but Newcastle fans don't want their team to play like Chelsea. They want a team that says: "If you score four, we'll score five."

Complete and utter bollocks.

Patronising cunt.

Edited by nufc4ever

"Whether it be Sir Alex Ferguson or Jose Mourinho, they will tell you that you have to get the foundation right before you do anything else. Some of the managers that Newcastle have had since Kevin Keegan have tried to implement that, but Newcastle fans don't want their team to play like Chelsea. They want a team that says: "If you score four, we'll score five."

Translation: My old mate Graeme tried to implement that and failed completely, but that won't stop me from trying to get the excuses in for him.

Hes right tbh

Is he bollocks. it's the same tired crap that comes from a footballer rather than a journalist. If we did what Chelsea do we would be happy. But we don't and the people who tried to do it failed miserably. We didn't get rid of dalglish cos he was defensive. We got rid of him cos he played turgid crap and got beat a lot. Same with souness who lets not forget increased Brambles contract. It's not defenseive football we dislike it is crap football which we have been served. Plus when we have played attacking football we have done better than the tosspots who try and concentrate on defence.

Alan Hansen is a wanker of the highest order who actually knows bollocks all about football and was too scared to go into management. Also he is detested in Scotland.

Its not just Hansen though, most lazy journalists will turn to the "they want exciting football" or "they've always had a shit defence" argument when they need to write something about Newcastle, it saves them the time of actually coming up with an educated, insightful piece.

It's not the fans who demand it, the majority of whining on these boards is over the shambles at the back.

It's Shepherd who demands it, spending £50M on your defence and £150Million on your attack is out of whack and it's down to his deluded view that we want to see attacking football at any cost. Similar to the misconception that we must have a Geordie hero for a manager and that Lee Clark is too Geordie not to have a high ranking job within the club.

Having played in Palermo in the Uefa Cup on Thursday night, they could have moved the game back to Sunday, but they decided to take the television money, despite the fact that Sheffield United hadn't played for a week. In my opinion, if it was a choice between three points and the TV money, the points are 100 times more important, but that was Newcastle's decision.

if true, this is fucking ridiculous, and the performance on Saturday lies mostly at Shepherds feet.

Typical of the man and yet more proof, he's more a fan of cash, than Football

if true, this is fucking ridiculous, and the performance on Saturday lies mostly at Shepherds feet.

Ah it's true. Sheffield United offered to play on Sunday but we declined.

Hes right tbh

He's completely wrong actually.

He's talking bollocks if its in reference to Souness but theres some truth in it when it comes to Daglish.

The main reason people tired of Dalglish is not because we weren't playing exciting football, it's because we weren't winning games.

Ah it's true. Sheffield United offered to play on Sunday but we declined.

We are desperate for any cash we can get it seems. Even at the expense of points. Yet more short-sightedness and lack of the "p" word from Shepherd. Apparently Roeder has fallen out with Shepherd over it so at least that might hasten his departure.

Mr Hansen, if you are reading this please concentrate and read it carefully.

At this moment in time I would like nothing more than to win some football games 1 - 0.

Unfortunately, in order to win 1 - 0, we need someone to score the 1 goal. That means we need to sign a striker.

ps FUCK OFF ;)

I'm disappointed in Hansen tbh cos I quite like the bloke, and I think in analysing a particular game or some defending, he knows his stuff. Unfortunately he knows nothing about Newcastle United or its fans, and it shines through in spectacular fashion in that piece.

Hes right tbh

He's talking bollocks if its in reference to Souness but theres some truth in it when it comes to Daglish.

The main reason people tired of Dalglish is not because we weren't playing exciting football, it's because we weren't winning games.

well we'll disagree then. Like I said theres some truth in it. He certainly didnt get the time in the job that you were so eager to allow Souness and you could argue that he was rebuilding the team to be more solid.

Imo the brand of football we produced was definitely a factor. A lad at work actually said he wasnt going to renew his season ticket to watch that boring shite. The fact he came directly after Keegan didnt help his cause either.

Hes right tbh

well we'll disagree then. Like I said theres some truth in it. He certainly didnt get the time in the job that you were so eager to allow Souness and you could argue that he was rebuilding the team to be more solid.

Imo the brand of football we produced was definitely a factor. A lad at work actually said he wasnt going to renew his season ticket to watch that boring shite. The fact he came directly after Keegan didnt help his cause either.

That's true but it doesn't stop the general gist of his argument being rubbish imo. Wonder if he's finished his humble pie after the Souness debacle yet?

Hes right tbh

He didn't get the time in the job because we were losing games. Not because we were playing boring football. Nice dig about Souness though. ;)

Sounds like that lad at work was a twat, but on a sample size of ONE, you'll have to forgive me for not taking your statistics that seriously. <_<

Hes right tbh

He didn't get the time in the job because we were losing games. Not because we were playing boring football. Nice dig about Souness though. ;)

Sounds like that lad at work was a twat, but on a sample size of ONE, you'll have to forgive me for not taking your statistics that seriously. <_<

It was almost impossible to get a ticket for a match when Keegan was here, but was a piece of piss under Dalglish. FACT.

Hansen's still an arse though.

Always expecting five goals? One would do for me at the moment.

He is also wrong about not spending on centre halves. 18m on Woodgate Boumpong, eh? Though latter was part of the big turn around of the club by his mate Graeme Tosser. Unfortunately it went into the wrong direction.

It wasnt a dig, honest :(. Regardless of results you could argue that Daglish wasnt given sufficient time to do his rebuilding job. Its a fact he didnt get as much as Souness, why not? We didnt win less games under Daglish. His popularity? Why was he unpopular?

I know its from wikipedia...

"However, Dalglish's cautious brand of football proved unpopular with supporters used to Newcastle's previous swashbuckling style; more importantly this careful style was not producing results. Several unsuccessful transfer deals along with a poor start to the 1998-1999 season led to Dalglish being sacked"

You've got to admit that the brand of football we played under Daglish was a factor (never said it was the reason he was sacked). Come on dont be pigheaded <_<

That lads pretty sound actually, loves his football but he has the attitude that he watches football to be entertained not just to see his team pick up points, I dont think he's alone in that.

Edited by luckypierre