***The Official Ashes 2006/07 Thread***

Tooj

From Beeb Sport:

Jones to return as Ashes keeper

Geraint Jones will be England's wicket-keeper in the first Ashes Test, coach Duncan Fletcher has confirmed.

Jones lost his place this year to Chris Read this summer but Read had a poor Champions Trophy in India last month.

"Fred [captain Andrew Flintoff] and myself had a good meeting and we decided we're going to go into the Test with Jones," said Fletcher.

"At this stage we're convinced that Jones will be a better prospect for batting at number seven."

Fletcher revealed James Anderson is ahead of Sajid Mahmood for the role of back-up seamer but also said England could play two spinners in most of the Tests.

Jones was preferred to Read for the three-day match against New South Wales, which began on Sunday with 11 days to go before the Test series begins in Brisbane.

Jones, who was raised in Brisbane, did not take a catch or make a stumping as the state side reached 325-5, though he kept wicket tidily enough.

Read, who was brought back into the Test side after two years out for the third match of the series against Pakistan, made 55 in that match but has failed since.

Long considered the better gloveman of the two, he did not keep well during the one-day ICC Champions Trophy in India and scored just six runs in three innings.

Jones was England's wicket-keeper during the victorious Ashes series of 2005, when he shared a crucial partnership with Flintoff in the fourth Test but generally struggled.

However, his back-foot style should be ideally suited to the faster wickets England will have to play on in Australia.

"Looking at the pressure that he's played under before, we believe he handles the pressure better," Fletcher explained.

"Technically we think he's a better batter on these wickets and especially in Test match cricket.

"It's a very, very difficult decision, but we believe Jones will do a better job."

Jones' return to strengthen the lower order could make it easier to pick spinner Monty Panesar over Ashley Giles, whose batting ability could otherwise have counted greatly.

"It's going to be a difficult decision and we are looking at playing two spinners in most of the Tests," Fletcher said.

"We have to give those two individuals as much bowling as possible, especially Ashley who hasn't bowled for a year."

In the seam-bowling department, Mahmood was expensive in Friday's tour-opener and did not bowl on Sunday, while Anderson - who missed the whole summer with back trouble - delivered 15 overs.

"We respect and speak highly of [Mahmood] but we are concerned about his consistency," Fletcher said.

"We know what we can get out of Jimmy on a day-to-day basis, and that's what we are looking for at this stage."

Meanwhile, Fletcher said he doubted whether injured captain Michael Vaughan would be fit to play a part in the Test series after suggestions the batsman could return in time for the third match.

Vaughan has been recovering from knee surgery, but he will fly out to Australia to link up with the Academy squad as he continues his rehabilitation.

"He's just said he's ready to play a game of cricket," Fletcher told BBC Radio Five Live's Sportsweek programme.

"So there might be a club game in Perth or something like that and we'll just have to see how he responds to that.

"From our point of view, he'll need a lot of batting under his belt for him to be ready in three weeks' time - and I don't think the time will be there for the Test series."

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The whole fucking team had a poor ICC tournement, which was a one day affair, not a test situation which is completely different? Why single out Read?

BTW I'm not biased towards Read because he plays for Notts, I backed Jones when he initially replaced him.

The whole fucking team had a poor ICC tournement, which was a one day affair, not a test situation which is completely different? Why single out Read?

BTW I'm not biased towards Read because he plays for Notts, I backed Jones when he initially replaced him.

Exactly, since Read has returned to tests his batting average has been good, and initially i'm sure he was doing pretty well in matches where the batsmen hadn't done well before him. The one argument against him was the batting, and if you compare his test average since his return with Jone's average in his last year of playing i'd be amazed as to how England could arrive at the decision they have.

Obviously hope Jones comes in and has a stormer with both bat and glove, but it should be Read playing and the aussies will be happier with England's choice.

Edited by Papa Lazaru

Jones has struggled with the bat though, that's why he was dropped. Probably the weak link in the last Ashes too. I hope this means Panesar is playing though.

One thing that Flintoff and Fletcher will have considered regarding who to keep wicket is the partnerships record that Flintoff/Jones have.

If I'm not mistaken, their scores together are pretty impressive (or were, anyway).

Fair point, they had a good partnership in the 4th test against the Aussies but it was the first in a while.

One thing that Flintoff and Fletcher will have considered regarding who to keep wicket is the partnerships record that Flintoff/Jones have.

If I'm not mistaken, their scores together are pretty impressive (or were, anyway).

Fair point, they had a good partnership in the 4th test against the Aussies but it was the first in a while.

I seem to recall an interview with Jones and Flintoff and they were describing canny fantastic scores whilst at the wicket together.

But, if England are having to rely on a wicket keeper in order for the team to score enough runs, it is a bit of an indictment on the confidence in their batting line-up imo.

Just heard a rumour via my Dad that Trescothick is coming home from Australia.

Cue the knee-jerk 'Get Vaughan in his place' demands :lol:

Could be true about Trescothick - didn't he recently admit to being totally uninterested in cricket or some such??

Talksport just announcing it's true - he's on his way home.

Edited by snakehips

Just heard a rumour via my Dad that Trescothick is coming home from Australia.

Well that clears up the whole "who misses out of Bell/Collingwood/Cook" debate. Trescothick needs to get his head in gear, he can't keep fucking us about like this.

Huge blow to England there in Trescothick, obviously. But what is wrong with him? He left the ICC Champions Trohphy and has now left Australia on the eve of the Ashes?

It just goes from bad to worse for your lot. England are reminding me of Newcastle in terms of injuries at the moment aswell as general shitness.

That's what I suggested. I think last winter his father in law fell of a ladder or something, but then the management said it was a virus...but talk of him being 'stressed' and getting no enjoyment from cricket, plus no real explanation from him or the ECB hints at depression for me.

It's all speculation though.

Why would you take someone with depression on an Ashes tour in Australia? ;)

Hope he gets himself sorted out. I thought i was reading an english paper the way The West had their headline in today's paper. They had a big headline saying "STRESSCOTHICK" ala the ones you see from The Sun over your way. Thought it was a bit harsh to be honest but yeah anyways....

What was the headline on the day we won back the Ashes btw? I would have asked you at the time but you stopped posting on here for some reason ;)

:D

Im not sure i cant remember. Probably Aussies Burnt to Ashes or something stupid like that...

Time to bring this back up as it is time for the first test to start soon. We have Watson in doubt for the first test while your mob have big problems. Bell, Flintoff and KP cant save you on their own. But still i cant wait for it to start and let the games begin ;)