The Office

MattM4

Thought I'd give them all a shot on allfg.org ... and the show is pretty good, it takes the first few episodes to shake off the very strong similarities with the original, and to find it's own derived storylines but after a while you just go with it, and it's a fun sitcom!

And Steve Carell is just great.

The first series, whilst having a few good moments/lines wasn't up to much really.

However the second series was a big step up and was really enjoyable as a series in its own right. Of course it will never be in the same league as The Gervais/Merchant version but i would never expect it to be.

My friend said they completely fucked the Tim-Dawn thing up.

It's certainly a little different, it's kind of a lot less subtle... and akward moments do seem a bit crowbared in just for the story's sake.

However the second series was a big step up and was really enjoyable as a series in its own right. Of course it will never be in the same league as The Gervais/Merchant version but i would never expect it to be.

yes, that's exactly what I meant, as soon as you step into series two, it has it's own feel and gets very entertaining.

It's certainly a little different, it's kind of a lot less subtle... and akward moments do seem a bit crowbared in just for the story's sake.

The whole point of The Office was that it was subtle though.

Thought I'd give them all a shot on allfg.org ... and the show is pretty good, it takes the first few episodes to shake off the very strong similarities with the original, and to find it's own derived storylines but after a while you just go with it, and it's a fun sitcom!

And Steve Carell is just great.

I agree. After it stopped using the script from the British Office, it benefitted from not being compared to it so unfavourably.

Trouble is it's on an obscure channel at an obscure time and by the time I realise it's on I've missed half of it!

But this is the American Office - it's a different proposition altogether. They don't do subtlety.

But this is the American Office - it's a different proposition altogether. They don't do subtlety.

I know.

The Office is one of my favourite programmes, absolutely brilliant. This US version is just crap though, you can't have characters pretending to be Brent, Gareth, Tim etc, it just doesn't work. Brent is Gervais and thats it, its like someone else playing Del Boy.

Really surprised Gervais and Merchant put their name to it.

The Office is one of my favourite programmes, absolutely brilliant. This US version is just crap though, you can't have characters pretending to be Brent, Gareth, Tim etc, it just doesn't work. Brent is Gervais and thats it, its like someone else playing Del Boy.

$$$

yes, that's exactly what I meant, as soon as you step into series two, it has it's own feel and gets very entertaining.

I'm glad you've clarified that, because I watched the first couple of episodes of the first series, and I thought it was horrendous. And I liked Steve Carrell in that other thing he did that time.

Edited by ObaGol

• 3 months later...

Bump.

Since The Office is being mentioned in that other thread...

Been following this show every other week this year, and must say it has become pretty dodgy again in season 3. Shame. Season 2 is good though.

Gervais is Brent. He's shite in that night at the museum

The US Version is really good. When I heard an American version was being made, I thought they'd ruin it, and basically watched to see how much they'd ruined it.

The first episode is pretty much a carbon copy of the first episode of the original, but I thought they hadn't ruined it, and so kept on watching.

As series 1 progressed they began diverting from making copies of the original and developed their own ideas.

Series 2 is really good, and I quite like what I've seen of Series 3.

I still think the original has the edge, but honestly, hand on heart, I think the US version is really good - and I don't like many American programmes, especially comedies.

I think that Michael Scott is pretty much as cringeworthy as David Brent.

And Dwight is as funny and rediculous as Gareth.

Its honestly a great programme.