Analog TV switch off dates set

Rob W

Jowell outlines switch-over plan

Family in a digital home

The government does not want to harm the elderly or poor

Culture Secretary Tessa Jowell is expected to announce the formal go-ahead for the switch-over from analogue to digital television.

In a speech to broadcasters, she will say viewers on the English-Scottish borders will have their existing TV signals switched off in three years.

The rest of the UK will follow, region by region, ending in 2012.

Ms Jowell will also outline help for the elderly and disabled to get the equipment needed for the switch.

The switchover will enable the analogue spectrum to be sold off for other uses, as well as encouraging the public to take advantage of multi-channel television.

Labour said in its manifesto TV transmissions would switch from analogue to digital in the years 2008 to 2012.

But the government would not give the go-ahead until measures were in place to protect the vulnerable.

Switching off the existing analogue signal means every TV and video recorder, in every room, must be connected to a digital receiver if it is to work.

Many people may also have to pay for a new aerial.

That could be a particular problem for the elderly and those on low incomes.

On Wednesday evening in Cambridge, Ms Jowell is expected to announce the timetable for switchover, starting in the ITV Border region in 2008.

She is likely to stress the benefits of the switch for those who cannot yet receive Freeview, and cannot afford pay-TV - and to announce financial and practical help for those who will find it hardest to make the switch.

In March, two villages in Carmarthenshire - Ferryside and Llanstephan - became the first in the UK to switch lose their analogue signal after voting for the switch following a pilot

Well thats my parents with no TV in 3 years time. It doesn't really make sense to turn off the rural areas with no digital terrestrial coverage. Heck my parents don't even get Channel 5 on analog and ITV reception is always a bit dodgy. Why not switch off the citys where there is total digital coverage?

Well thats my parents with no TV in 3 years time. It doesn't really make sense to turn off the rural areas with no digital terrestrial coverage. Heck my parents don't even get Channel 5 on analog and ITV reception is always a bit dodgy. Why not switch off the citys where there is total digital coverage?

33210[/snapback]

No Labour voters in the Borders - all huntin'shootin' fishin farmers...............