Loon Blaine at it again.

Jimbo

David Blaine starts spin cycle in Times Square

THE ASSOCIATED PRESS

David Blaine’s latest stunt is as much about charity as publicity.

The magician traveled to Times Square on Tuesday for a topsy-turvy Thanksgiving escape, stepping inside a gyroscope where his hands and feet will eventually be shackled. Blaine has until Friday morning to shed his shackles in the spinning scope; if he does, 100 children selected by The Salvation Army will go on a shopping spree.

The shackles go on Thursday at 2 p.m., giving Blaine 16 hours to make his great escape.

“This is more difficult than anything I’ve ever done,” Blaine said before he was loaded into the gyroscope, which was then hoisted 40 feet into the air. “I’ve not tested it much. I will be learning how to do this as I’m doing it.”

The gyroscope, with three spinning steel rings, will flip Blaine in assorted directions as often as eight times per minute. Several hundred people turned out for the start of the stunt, which was set up just a few blocks from the site where Blaine once spent 61 hours inside a block of ice.

This shaped up as another chilly stunt for Blaine, who has no protection from the elements other than his clothing — including a black nylon ski jacket with matching pants. By 11 a.m., the temperature in midtown Manhattan was barely above 40 degrees.

If Blaine makes his escape (and does anyone think he won’t?), he will lead the underprivileged kids on a shopping expedition at Target. Each child will receive a $500 gift certificate from the retailer.

Blaine said this stunt was particularly important to him since The Salvation Army had provided him with clothing while he was growing up. “This challenge is close to my heart,” said Blaine.

The gyroscope escape is just the latest big event for Blaine. This past May, he spent 177 hours underwater in one of his endurance stunts. Previously, he spent 35 hours balanced atop a 100-foot pole and was buried alive in a see-through coffin for a week.

If Blaine makes his escape (and does anyone think he won’t?), he will lead the underprivileged kids on a shopping expedition at Target. Each child will receive a $500 gift certificate from the retailer.

Couldn't they give the $50K to a worthwhile charity instead of buying some kids a PS3 each?

Couldn't they give the $50K to a worthwhile charity instead of buying some kids a PS3 each?

You know I almost agree with you except for the fact that charities carry administration costs.... at least this way the kids get what's given entirely. [/cynical bitch]