How can I tell if

Renton

Suspected for a while my 9800 pro was overheating and causing all sorts of visual aberrations which got progressively worse. So I took the case of my PC to check the fan was running etc. Everything looked OK except it was a bit dusty, so I sucked up the dust with a Dyson. :lol:

Anyhow, now my computer is totally fucked, with no video signal at all. But, before I waste money and try a new card, how can I be certain it's the graphics card that is the problem when I can't see any messages on the monitor? Also, the angle the screw it's attached to the case means I can't get access to it. Can you get special midget screw drivers?

It's quite an old machine now so I could do with a new one, but I was really hoping to hold out until Vista and the next generation of graphics cards became a bit more affordable. Guess I may just have to stick to my lap top........

You can check the monitor by plugging it into the laptop, if it doesnt work on that its buggered, if it does its the graphics card.

If you dont want a new system, just get a comparable graphics card for like £30.

As for the screwdriver just go to any hardware store and you'll find all shapes and sizes.

• 3 weeks later...

It was my graphics card, I didn't understand the mechanism of how it was attached to the case so had to get a friend to help me change to my old one. :lol:

Anyway, I plan to upgrade my PC in the coming year, probably Autumn. In the mean time, can anyone give me advice on a cheap AGP graphics card that will allow me to play games like FarCry? I'm not wanting to spend more than 50 quid. So far the Radeon 9550 seems to fit the bill, but will that be good enough?