USB problem

Wullie

Ok, so I've got broadband again and it's fucked already. :lol:

I'm using the router plugged into my computer via USB (my ethernet port just will not work) and I went out for a couple of hours this afternoon and left it on downloading. When I got back, the connection was dead, despite the router working and my mate's connection working fine. It then hung on me and when I removed the router USB connection from its port, a blue error screen flashed up and it shut down. Now, when the router is plugged into any port, the computer won't boot properly and won't enter stand-by, but it will do both no matter what else is plugged into any of the 3 USB ports (mouse and external hard drive).

Can't figure out what the fuck's wrong with it or why it's suddenly knackered, anyone got any ideas? Otherwise I'm going to have to go to PC World before 8 and buy either a bastard USB to Ethernet adaptor (and hope the USB ports work with that) or a new wireless card.

When you say your ethernet port will not work- do you mean it doesn't work with the router or doesn't work full stop?

There are any number of minor things that could be preventing your port from working.

Make sure you have automatic IP enabled and DHCP enabled on the router- this will ensure correct assignment of IP address.

USB connections are nothing but trouble.

When you say your ethernet port will not work- do you mean it doesn't work with the router or doesn't work full stop?

There are any number of minor things that could be preventing your port from working.

Make sure you have automatic IP enabled and DHCP enabled on the router- this will ensure correct assignment of IP address.

USB connections are nothing but trouble.

Nah, the ethernet port is just knackered, doesn't pick anything up, hasn't for a while. I've managed to get an old wireless card working, so it's not too bad, no way of connecting to the router with a wire though on my computer, which might be a problem in future.

Edited by Wullie

Do you have any power management running?

Are the bios settings for usb correct?

It's a laptop so there will be power management, yeah.

Not checked the BIOS, but it was fine earlier today so I assume so. As I say, my external hard drive and mouse work fine as ever in the USB ports.