Players expect transfer blank

Scottish Mag

James Milner admits that Newcastle United's players have been forced to accept they won't be rescued by any multi-million pound signings during this month's transfer window following the 2-2 draw with West Ham.

The Magpies had been expected to strengthen this month, but have failed to persuade clubs to part with their intended targets in a sluggish market and manager Glenn Roeder has admitted he may only be able to make emergency repairs to his injury-plagued squad by bringing players in on loan.

But Milner, whose first-half goal inspired a Newcastle comeback on Saturday after they had fallen two goals behind to struggling West Ham, has promised the players will not be feeling sorry for themselves.

Newcastle remain desperately short of players in defence and attack, but Milner believes the spirit and determination of Roeder's side can continue to carry them through the rest of the season.

The former Leeds United prospect has been the only Newcastle player not to miss a game through injury this season, but even he has been struggling with an ankle problem in recent weeks. "It feels a bit like I'm one of the only players who hasn't been injured but I've actually been playing with a bit of an ankle injury since the away game at Birmingham," said Milner who, as revealed in The Journal earlier this month, will be rewarded for his fine form this season with a new contract at St James's Park.

"I've managed to get through the games, although I have been struggling a little bit. Everyone seems to have knocks here and there, but we have to stick together and try and get through it. With the numbers we have, you can't say I'm not really 100%.

"It's not the same as being at Chelsea and being able to bring in a £30m player. It shows the team spirit we do have. Everyone has had to look inside themselves. There have been injuries but we haven't moaned about them. We've got on with it. It would have been very easy to make excuses but we've never done that as a squad."

United's spirit was once again evident in the second half against West Ham as Roeder's side made hardwork of their attempt to bounce back instantly from the dreadful 5-1 FA Cup defeat to Birmingham City.

And it was Milner who epitomised the Magpies' refusal to buckle, despite the injury problems which continue to hamper them, with Peter Ramage and Shay Given the latest to suffer on Saturday.

Ramage, who had a torrid afternoon before he limped off, is likely to be out for at least a fortnight with a hamstring strain while Given's groin has flared up again and could keep him out for as long as six weeks.

Milner added: "It shows our spirit because it would have been easy to feel sorry for ourselves at 2-0 down after the result we had in midweek and the start we had here. Nothing was going right for us.

"It's about how you stick together and battle back. Getting a goal back helped. We showed a great team spirit and work ethic and could have won it in the end. Hopefully we can build on it."

But it is Milner's spirit which has attracted attention in recent weeks and the Yorkshireman admitted he could never envisage a situation where he would never fight to the last.

He said: "There's never been a game where I haven't wanted to give it my all. You have off days when nothing quite goes for you, but that's different from not giving 100%.

"I give it my all whether 5-0 down or 1-0 up. The manager tells us we have to be mentally strong whatever the situation in the game. You might feel tired when you're 2-0 down but you have to battle on and I'll give 100% wherever I am. I can't stand losing, whether it's tiddlywinks, with my girlfriend or out there on the field."

Ramage, who had a torrid afternoon before he limped off, is likely to be out for at least a fortnight with a hamstring strain while Given's groin has flared up again and could keep him out for as long as six weeks.

185694986_45eaf62371_m.jpg