Pearson cleared for U21 role

Scottish Mag

Glenn Roeder has confirmed he will not stand in Nigel Pearson's way should The Football Association invite him to be a part of the new-look Under 21 setup.

The FA are currently locked in talks with Manchester City after Stuart Pearce accepted the task of managing England's young hopefuls, but the club have been keen to stress that they have not released the former international yet.

Magpies assistant Pearson is also in the frame to join the coaching staff, and Roeder has no qualms about allowing his right-hand man to work as a part time assistant at international level should the chance materialise.

"When Trevor Brooking approached me about Nigel when I was doing my Pro Licence at Warwick University last week, I told him straight away it was not a problem to us," said Roeder.

"In fact, I consider it a honour for Nigel Pearson and an honour for Newcastle United to be associated with the England Under 21 squad if that is what The FA are going to announce."