Web Design help

One for the it boffins! cough Ant (help please!)

Im creating an estate agents website as part of my uni course and it obviously needs a search feature.

Im using HTML and have a small SQL database,

Basically I have 5 or 6 locations and they work fine from the drop down menu, however i want an option that will return all locations.

For example i have

<select name = "city" id = "city">

<option value="Newcastle">Newcastle City Centre</option>

<option value="Gosforth">Gosforth</option>

<option value="Jesmond">Jesmond</option>

<option value="Gateshead">Gateshead</option>

<option value="Heaton">Heaton</option>

<option value=" ">All Locations </option>

</select>

Is there a way you can select all the options? as no matter what i try i cant seem to get it to work?

My SQL statement is this

$type= $_REQUEST ["type"];

$city= $_REQUEST ["city"];

$nobedrooms= $_REQUEST ["nobedrooms"];

$price= $_REQUEST ["price"];

$typeselect=("SELECT * FROM property WHERE type LIKE'$type' AND city LIKE'$city' AND nobedrooms ='$nobedrooms'");

//

execute sql statement

$rstype

= mysql_query($typeselect);

//

construct sql statement

Thanks in advance

Edited by JaMoUsE

naughty JaMouse! strongly typed stored procedures if you please (you can use this as a "security hardening factor to protect against sql injection then, be something to add in why you used certain methods)

in your sqldb have a "locations" table with the name and an int/id

populate your dropdown using the table as your datasource rather than hardcoding the values, have the vcrLocationName as the text and the int/id as the value

that way you can add more locations just by updating the table rather than the webpage and having to redeploy etc

have

ID - vcrLocation

0 - Search All

1 - gateshead

etcetc

that way when you run your search you're going to write you can pick up on the data and do a check for 0 to search everything or use the other values like 1 for whatever to filter it, which will in turn be quicker, could add indexes and whatnot as well then.

you could also use these ID's as a foreignkey then if you wanted to tie them into a more specific address table (bit like picking a county)

so you'd have say customers table

CustomerID - vcrforename-vcrsurname-dteDateCreated-intAddressID(FK)

Address table

intAddressID(PK), AddressLine1,2,3,Postcode,Region(fk)

region being the table i mentioned first.

as for how to do all the options you've loads of ways to do it a few for example

#1 wildcard search - where city like '%' when you detect a certain flag(do not do anything like this using your method above, only do it in the stored-proc if you have to)

#2 iterate through all the available locations and build up the array to bring back

#3 when you do your search/if it's a search by all simply don't have the "city" as part of your where clause for that version of the search)

Even for a smallDB you should always be thinking about scale-ability and how it might grow even if it's unlikely, because it's a lot easier to deal with something when you've planned for it rather than try fudge/hack it in later. (again something else you can stick down why you've done things a certain way/an answer for any "what if" questions that come up)

edit i'm going stop now before i get carried away and do your project for you and the fact i've been in work all day doing my head in databases and other shite ;)

(btw your problem above is because your doing where city like ' ' effectively so it's going where city is like a blank space, rather than city like '%' which is the wildcard symbol)

Like so...

if($city == ' ' ){$where = " AND city LIKE '$city' ";}else{$where ='';}

$typeselect=("SELECT * FROM property WHERE type LIKE'$type' $where AND nobedrooms ='$nobedrooms'");

Edited by Ruler of Planet Houston

Like so...

if($city == ' ' ){$where = " AND city LIKE '$city' ";}else{$where ='';}

$typeselect=("SELECT * FROM property WHERE type LIKE'$type' $where AND nobedrooms ='$nobedrooms'");

This code does return all locations but even if I select a specific location it still returns all locations

Edited by JaMoUsE

got it backwards by the looks of it, the way thats set at the min, Switch the two $where lines around

if($city == ' ' )
{
 --If your city is "blank/search all then then you don't want to use the city for the where
$where ='';  
}
else
{
--if city has value, then you do want to use it for the where
$where = " AND city LIKE '$city' ";
}